The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Sorry to hear the last few days have not been so good and your ‘lovely’ man has gone into respite. As @Woo2 said he will have lots of company. Glad to hear that a Good nights sleep has made all the difference.
Did you get the fishing trip in with your brother?

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Sorry to hear your lovely man has gone into a hospice.

I hope you are OK. Didn't manage to post last time you popped on so pleased your brother is managing to go fishing.

Are you still with original agency or have you moved to the new one?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I know that as a full time Carer we live in a bubble, but I didn’t realise till tonight just how much of a bubble I lived in

Tonight I watched the Salisbury poisonings... this happened in 2018, while mum was having her stroke, breaking her wrist, twice ... I knew absolutely nothing about this till tonight

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
? Am indeed well stocked up , not needing it too much . We are in an unsettled bed/wake up time at the mo and added confusion , but it’s ok thanks .
It’s hard as I can imagine you miss him lots , sure he is getting lots of ladies attention and fuss . Hope you get new one as a regular and yes it will be good for you both . Have some more hugs ?? X
Thank you amazing lady

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Nothing like a decent amount of sleep to improve perspectives @Bikerbeth, in my heart, I know it’s best for him

Yay, took big brother fishing and he looked so much better for 48 hours of peace. He is struggling with left arm weakness, but it’s almost a form of physio him going. Casting will force him to use the arm, baiting will improve his dexterity lol. I dropped him off again today, for another 48 hours of physio ... aka fishing. The deal is supposed to be that I take him and he keeps in contact .... he must be having fun as I’ve not heard from him tonight

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you, yes it’s hard knowing he’s in the hospice and I can’t find out any details ... I’m not family @jugglingmum .. I don’t think families realise just how close we can get to their loved ones. I‘ve seen him since my first week and he was my only man for months. (I was really worried about going to a man lol)

Im doing ok, keeping busy, trying not to stress. Thanks for asking. Most people seem to assume we just move on to the next, but it’s not like that with some.

Ive made a real effort this week to phone family and old friends to check in with them, but it has been an effort, I stress about calling the older, vulnerable ones, just in case it’s not a “good” call.

Im still with the original agency. (shhh don’t tell them, but the new one won’t let me work with them unless I leave the old one). I prefer the new ones attitude (I have a friend who is working for them), but there is still one person I can’t leave. I do wonder if that will always be the case. I have the paperwork offering me the job, just no hours with them.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I see you're up too, @Sam Luvit ! Do you do shift work - I expect that makes your sleeping pattern erratic. I just can't sleep in this hot humid weather. We had one downpour last night but that's the only rain we've had for ages. I wish we'd have a good thunderstorm to clear the air.

I haven't read all your posts about your job so I don't know if they are giving you regular tests?

I am actually feeling slightly reassured as the numbers of cases goes down and I wonder if the warm weather is the reason. I think the real fear may be that it returns in the autumn together with regular flu.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
It is difficult not knowing how he is doing , but you can only hold him close in your heart and know he is being well cared for .

Absolutely fab news about the fishing trip(s) :) def good for big bro , just what the dr ordered I’d say . Does his son not go with him ? Wondering if it could be a chance for them to spend some quality time together though I know it’s nice for you to spend that time with him . So I will just hush my m
?

It is a bubble I agree, I keep up with the news but I haven’t left house really since Mid March except for a couple of trips to chemist and I’m almost reluctant too now , amazing how quick you get in to a new routine . I must force myself out soon but it will most likely only be to the park with the dog.
The day centre have called to see if I will be taking Mum back , same days or more or less and how they think she will be with them wearing PPE ?! I have no idea but I’m guessing she will be ok with it . They are looking at the end of July to possibly re open.

Have waffled on as per , take care , big hugs to you and you can pass some on to pooch for me .?????

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @nita , good to see you again. How are you?

No, I don't do shifts, I prefer routine in my work life lol. However, I do the end of the day, so I finish around 22.00! If I’m running late, or my last one is feeling the need to talk, I might stay a bit later, walk Pooch as soon as I get home ,so I often get to sit down around 23.00 I have gotten into a bad routine of curling up with Pooch and watching a series on BBC iPlayer to relax ... till much too late

My sleep pattern is not good either. I’ve been surviving on around four hours sleep for the last year, but it’s gradually improving and I’m up to around six hours for the last fortnight.

They’ve not gotten to us for tests, no idea when that night happen, but can’t see it happening any time soon. There are about a dozen of us on this site, all linked to the care / nhs in one way or another. We are all super paranoid and social distancing is our normal. The laundry is busy all the time with uniforms being washed and additional hand sanitisers have been put up, along with extra bottles of soap in other areas.

Many of my colleagues no longer go home if they have a break in the day, instead they park up and sit in their cars, rather than risking taking this home. Going home now means stripping inside the door, everything straight in the washing machine and a shower, before any contact with the family.

I love the sunshine, but despair at the number of people walking around, far too close together, as soon as the sun appears. I try to shop when it’s raining ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Woo2

Yes, I’m trying to think of my lovely man being well cared for and lots of people around. I know he got very lonely.

I think big brother enjoys being alone for a few days, just him and nature. I spend a few hours with him while he sets up, watch the ducks making lots of noise and the swans gliding around the lake. It’s very peaceful. This is when he might mention how thing are at home and maybe make comments on how he feels. He’s not big on talking about his feelings

His son used to join him years ago, but not for years. It wouldn't be possible now as it’s not walking distance and my car is rammed with all the equipment. No room for another person or the additional tent, rods etc. Who knew how much “stuff” is needed to catch a few fish :rolleyes:

I did say at the time, that my world had shrunk to four walls. I went food shopping, but it was a mad dash, no time for chatting or meeting anyone. The TV, if it was on, was for mindless films. No news as it was too depressing and life was depressing enough without that. I now realise just how isolated I became in those last eight months.

It will feel pretty weird when you do go out again, especially walking a dog. The “old days” of stopping for a chat have gone. Some people don’t want anyone to touch their animals and others shy away from any animals coming too close to them. It’s not the sociable thing it used to be. It’s a bit sad really. Pooch is very confused about why people are not petting him.

Obviously, going back to the day centre is a personal choice. I guess you need to weigh up the pros and cons. Your mum enjoyed it and you get a break. I don’t know if it’s better to jump right in with lots of days, or ease you all back in with a day a week at first. Either will cause disruption imho

You could try putting a mask on yourself and walking around wearing it, see how she reacts. Make it “normal” so she doesn’t worry.

Pooch is asleep (for a change), head resting in my ankle ... how can he be comfortable???? I’ll pass on the hugs when he wakes up lol. I’m sure he’ll be as appreciative of them as I am :)

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Fishing by himself sounds good , whatever helps him relax is great . Shame his son doesn’t go anymore but appreciate you don’t have the room to take him . What man is open about feelings ?! I don’t know many if any .
Yes it will be strange and I’m not sure I’m ready to go out just yet but I should , I have taken to walking pooch early morning and late at night and see no one .
I still haven’t decided about day centre , I really would like a break but am managing ok at the moment , will talk it over with him indoors some more .

Good idea re mask I will do that thanks .

Glad he is comfy , and good to hear you are getting a little more sleep . X

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
My daughters and I both feel the lack of normal social interaction with dogs!!
We’d taken it for granted that they’d jump up at us and we could make a fuss of them (I’m actually allergic to dogs so can’t have one of my own much as I’d live one) and I do feel very guilty when I have to ignore the pooches...so send our love to pooch. Hopefully he’ll be able to get his fusses soon.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Good idea re mask I will do that thanks .

I think it’s the solitude that big brother likes. No one asking him dumb questions or trying to push him, its just him and nature. I’ve been taking him for a while now and just sitting for a few hours with just nothing around is very relaxing @Woo2

I’ve found the number of pedestrians who think roads are pedestrian precincts rather scary. I have three to four instances a day of people waking across a road I’m driving down, they get really cross at me driving, like I shouldn’t be there. I expect the instances of RTC’s is going to escalate as lockdown relaxes

I know that one day we will all have to take that step “back” into the world. I’m not comfortable with that. Not yet. I just don’t trust Joe Public to wash their hands, or more importantly to stay home if they get symptoms. I only trust those who deal with this daily, they are seeing and hearing about it and most are scared of getting this, or passing it on.

The first week we wore masks the reaction wasn’t good, but it’s become normal now as we all wear them, sometimes we have to stop, or step away and drop the mask so they can see our faces, before replacing them. You’d be surprised how quickly clients have adapted, your mum will too, if you decide its time to try day centre again.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It is strange to walk Pooch now, people stop but don’t fuss him @Bunpoots Poor darling is very confused by it. I make a lot of fuss over him, trying to make up for it, but he still whimpers at people when they don’t pet him.

He’s off to see the vet for the first time since lockdown next week. He gets very upset when I leave him at the groomers, so heaven only knows how he is going to react to being taken in by the vet while I wait in the car. He’s been going to the groomers regularly and knows I always come back, but he cries when I walk out and leaps around when I come back. A strange vet prodding him about when I’m not there will probably freak him out.

It’s nothing major, I just want to get something checked out

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I hope Pooch checks out fine or, whatever the concern is, it has a simple solution.
I hope he does not get too stressed.
I miss saying hello to the dogs on my walks. The small holding up the road has 3 spaniels that run loose all day within the confines of the plot. There is a small section with opening fencing and I always give the dogs a stroke on my way past heading home (the owner does not mind)
@Woo2 I don’t think Mum has ever mentioned to me about the staff wearing masks or having any concerns about it if that helps.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I hope the vet visit goes ok. We’ve had to do a few with our pets since lockdown started. Goodness knows what the pets think but we hate staying in the car!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I can imagine the vets are going to give him soo much fuss that he won’t worry at all , they always give our pooch treats so she loves going and doesn’t even give me a second glance. Hope he gets on ok .
I am still fussing dogs , as I saw some dog walking friends the other evening , they let the lead extend so I could safely keep a distance from them , was that wrong ? I don’t know but I always wash my hands or use the gel when I get home before I touch anything , I put the gel on the garage door handle and back door .

that’s reassuring @Bikerbeth thanks. She has seen them on the news in PPE so hopefully she will fine , I’m not entirely sure yet when she will go back .

Hope you have got some more sleep Sam.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Hope your doggie is all right, @Sam Luvit and it's something easily dealt with . Be careful if you walk him at night, unless he's your guard dog! That must be a very tiring shift late at night. I remember my Mum's carers when the agency didn't organise things properly, sometimes came much later than 10 and could even still be here at midnight. And if there were emergencies, they had to stay till the ambulance came and usually waited to see how it went with the paramedics.

I can't believe you've not even been tested once - if you were to believe the briefings, millions of tests have been done so I assumed that care workers would have definitely been prioritised. It seems the testing hasn't been done systematically. Thankfully you're still OK. Have any of your clients gone down with the dreaded thing? The lovely man who's gone into a hospice, that's not to do with it, is it?

I was awake the whole night when I posted on here - don't think it helped that I went on my laptop! I then slept today till 1 o'clock. That's the luxury of not having to care for someone who's totally dependent on you or to have to work. I was lucky in that, by the time my mother passed, I'd had my state pension for one year since I was nearly 63 when I got it. I know people working now have to wait till 67. I don't think I could have worked at 64.

Talking about pets and passing on C-19, I stroked a cat that was in our garden the other day, then had second thoughts about it! I think cats are even more likely to transmit it because they go wherever they like.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Bikerbeth

I’m not worried about Pooch, it’s just one of those things I was going to get checked, but lockdown stopped me finding a new vet and as things are easing, I think it’s time to sort it out. I am a little concerned as to how he will handle being taken away from me, by a stranger, but he’s going to have to be brave. We never saw the same vet twice at the old place and I struggled with accents of two of them, so it wasn’t never ideal there

He's settled well into living in a tin can lol. Always on the lead, which is a bit of a bind from my point of view (no opening the black door and letting him wander in and out), but we do walk around a lot during the day. He’s made friends with the other dogs and plays happily with them when we meet. I’m considering getting him a companion when I finally get to move into a house ...

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Bunpoots, I stress myself over vet visits. I think it’s that “what else might they find” feeling, but Pooch is pretty healthy, so I’m not too worried.

Apart from jabs and being “done”, he’s not needed any visits, so he’s not used to going. The last vet seemed more financially focused than emotional. I want someone like my old friendly vet, who talked to our animals far more than to us mere mortals ?