The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
? Yep that’s a pretty good t shirt slogan ! @Sam Luvit , should give the intelligently challenged the hint . ??

You had a productive day too by the sounds of it , my aunt has made some face masks for the family , makes her feel good .

I have no words re her , well none that are semi publishable anyway , karma my dear .
As you say they are permittable journeys , she needs to wind her neck in . Funny how she has an opinion on that but nothing when he needed help the day before he went in to hospital .

Everyone needs a pooch ?, take care , have a good day .

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
@Sam Luvit
I made some masks for sewing-challenged friends and they are really easy to make. I even put a nose grip in and a filter pocket.

Love the T shirt slogans. Daughter and I have been slowly adding ideas of songs for a
'Coronavirus Playlist' .... 'Don't stand so close to me' 'It's the end of the world as we know it' 'The drugs don't work' 'I want to hold your hand' 'I will survive' ......... and several others including 'My Verona Corona'

X

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
@Sam Luvit
I made some masks for sewing-challenged friends and they are really easy to make. I even put a nose grip in and a filter pocket.

Love the T shirt slogans. Daughter and I have been slowly adding ideas of songs for a
'Coronavirus Playlist' .... 'Don't stand so close to me' 'It's the end of the world as we know it' 'The drugs don't work' 'I want to hold your hand' 'I will survive' ......... and several others including 'My Verona Corona'

X
Brilliant ! ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Everyone needs a pooch ?, take care , have a good day .

I’ve made the mask templates, found elastic and bendy strips for the nose clip and washed the cotton sheets @Woo2 ? I’m getting there

Karma wants to set up her game.

I’m in the dog house with Pooch. Not sure why, but he threw his teddy at me last night ?, lying facing away from me on the other seat, he suddenly flipped teddy over his head at me. He’s refused to snuggle ever since. Maybe I should have given him some if my dinner ...he’d eaten already and it was too delicious to share?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m finding elastic is the hardest to source @Toony Oony, but I’ve found some “headbands”, which are just a length of brightly coloured elastic and I’m going to try those. I’m also on the look out for some soft beads.

I’ve seen one pattern that uses them as a method of tightening the ear elastic. You thread the two ends of elastic through the bead, tie the ends together, then slip the bead along to shorten the length. I’m thinking a hard bead will cause pain after a bit, so I’m working on solutions ?

There are some very funny spoof songs around ...
The sound of sirens -
Hello -
Coronavirus rapsidy -

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
HI @Sam Luvit - love the songs. Someone sent me a version of Nessun Dorma, appropriately reworded.

Some of the mask patterns say either use bias tapes or elastic, but I reckon elastic is more reliable.
What you can do for 'ear relief' is make a small fabric band ( or knit or crochet one) about 3-4 inches long and sew a button at each end. That sits comfortably at the back of your head and you can use shorter loops of elastic or use hair ties. The loops just go over the buttons and it doesn't cut off the blood supply to your ears.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I would love a t-shirt with a pic of those two blue tits and the words "Two metres, you tit!" on the back and front. ?

("No officer, I wasn't swearing".)

IMG_20200425_155107.jpg

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh that made me laugh @Beate

I have made some masks and wore one out today. It seems to me that when I was wearing it everyone gave me a much wider berth. Have you noticed this, or is it just this area?

PS - can I be pedantic and say that one of those birds is actually a chaffinch?
The words still work, though

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Oh well, the scolded bird is a blue tit, so it still works. :)

That must be area specific - if there aren't many mask wearers where you live, it might still be a novelty factor. I'm past finding it weird now, but I know how strange I found it in before Corona times to see people, mostly Asians who are more used to it, wearing one in the street

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Ive made several masks using different patterns to find one that fitted me. I've struggled with finding something to use as a nose clip though. Also ran out of elastic but now I use T shirt fabric which is much more comfortable. Simply cut a one inch strip from an old T shirt and stretch it hard then use in the same way as you would elastic.

What did you use as nose clips?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I didnt use a nose clip, but I wear glasses so putting the glasses frame over the mask on the nose holds it in place.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Ive made several masks using different patterns to find one that fitted me. I've struggled with finding something to use as a nose clip though. Also ran out of elastic but now I use T shirt fabric which is much more comfortable. Simply cut a one inch strip from an old T shirt and stretch it hard then use in the same way as you would elastic.

What did you use as nose clips?
Pipe cleaners! You really need only one per mask. I got these as extras with my two masks - Stepdad says take out before washing in the machine so they can't rust (he made a removable design) but I haven't yet washed the masks - I steam iron them instead. For the science-uninitiated like myself: steam has 100 degrees Celsius, so enough to kill germs.

IMG_20200516_175508.jpg

Last edited:

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
Can't buy pipe cleaners at the shops - or at least not the small stores I can manage! But I read today that rolled up foil is an alternative and it does seem to work.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Teeny weeny celebration ... I‘m going out with an experienced Carer next week ... if all goes well ... just the final interview to go with the new agency

????

if you’re happy n you know it .... ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzannep