The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
That is good news, I am so glad for both of you. Hope his friends rally round and he and his wife sort things out one way or another. Enjoy your meal and the fizz.?

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Hurrah, fantastic news. So pleased to hear that you could pick brother up so at least you could see for yourself how he is doing and have a chat with him. Waiting around for news is always draining.
Hope you are sharing a little piece of that steak with Pooch as he has had his little legs walked off (again). Enjoy and relax

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm so pleased to hear your brother is out of hospital, although if he needs rehab I hope he gets it. I hope they found the root cause and if able to have offered him treatment.

Trouble is it's not the time to sort anything out at the moment, re change of lifestyle, maybe you need to take him to Suffolk with you - glad to hear your nephew was on side as well, thankful for minor miracles.

I hope you enjoy your food - it sounds fab.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Lol. Poor Pooch has been asleep, apart from the appearance of food .. yes he had some .. walk and as we came in ... nose in his food bowl and very disappointed it was not filled. He’s crashed out before I’ve even sat down. Anyone would think he’d had some exercise today @Woo2

Errr ... sorry ... I ate it all. It was delicious. The asparagus was divine. The steak was ... bliss and the potatoes were ... mmmm. Pooch had the scrapings and the bit of steak I’d done just for him, but I wolfed the rest.
I did plan on crashing out, but my quick call to childhood friend lasted over two hours ... even Pooch got up and had a look at the video call. He’s crashed out again and I’m going to join him very soon

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Sarasa , it’s the best news. He’s home. He’s not in a place with the virus and he has a chance of full recovery

As for sorting his home life ... I’d sort it ... I’m sure the fish are hungry ?

The bubbles were nice ;)

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Ah so glad pooch got some steak , he needs the protein to give his leg muscles some strength for all the walks ! ? The call to friend sounds like a good finale to your lovely dinner , well why wouldn’t pooch join in ... they obviously wanted to see him too ☺. Hope you have had a better nights sleep, you must be almost wiped out . Take care . X

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Morning Sam - so glad that your brother is home and your worry levels can reduce a tad. Make sure you really look after yourself now - shocks and upset can give a nasty jolt to the system.
BTW - Karma is just sharpening her nails and finishing her drink ..... she says she'll be with your SiL soon.
Take care and love to Pooch X
PS - Soo jealous that you had asparagus ... nom nom nom

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Sorry for the late log in, I was beyond tired, then slept most of the day @Bikerbeth

Yes, it was such a relief to set eyes on him, to see for myself. You’d have to know him well to see the change, it’s subtle, but there. I wanted to hug him, but couldn’t.

His face has the slightest droop, as for any visible weakness, either none of he hid it well, but his exhaustion was apparent

He’s worried about being so tired and sleeping so much. I’ve told him it’s normal, both on the drive back to his home and in text conversations today. I don’t know if he’s forgotten I said it, or he needs the reassurance of my retelling him.

Of course Pooch shared the steak ... and the walk :oops:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I was so glad to get him out @jugglingmum , he said that being in the ward mum had been on and knowing (and seeing) the virus is in the hospital made it a very scary place to be.

I think we know the root cause will be stress. He is saying it’s work (but that has never been as issue), I’ve asked him to look at his home life, but I didn’t want to pressure him. I have said I will do whatever he needs to make it better. I can’t do more than that right now

I’d willingly drag him kicking and screaming, if needs be, to anywhere that wouId be less stressful than where he is. I think the kicking and screaming might be subdued now.

My nephew may well be helpful in all this. I’ve made it plain that my brother is my focus and I will do anything to keep him safe. He now knows I am aware of the home situation and he needs to “be the bigger person” to help. He needs to curb his anger towards his mum, in order to help his dad

I’ve always had a soft spot for my nephew, much to his mothers annoyance. We talk. She demands. Fingers crossed he can help

As for any rehab, follow up appointments ... there is nothing available as this virus marches towards us. It’s a truely rubbish time for anyone to be sick.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Pooch wanted a lot more of the steak than he got @Woo2 ... but it was too tasty to share much. You know how sometimes you throw something together which you think will work, but you take a bite and ... it’s just heaven. I don’t know if I was realy hungry or if the combination just worked, but it was the best meal this year ?

The video call was good, my friend has known both me and brother most of our lives, so she was the perfect person to talk to. It was a good ending to a fraught day

I was so tired I passed out rather than fell asleep. I was up at five with Pooch, but crawled back under the covers. Awake again about ten, but it was well after midday before I was capable of staggering up the hill for a shower

I’ve spent a lot of time contacting friends and family and extracting promises to send “gentle” text messages to brother. He is going to need us all in the next few weeks.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
...BTW - Karma is just sharpening her nails and finishing her drink ..... she says she'll be with your SiL soon.
Take care and love to Pooch X

Morning @Toony Oony (very early one)!!
I’ve let myself sleep and chill today. Mixed in with a few calls to family, but mostly I’ve slept. I know I needed it

I’d forgotten how delicious asparagus is. How could I forget that? I spotted it and it was on offer, so I just bought it. Mmmmmm. It was a blooming good choice

I’m looking forward to Karmas visit ... do you think I might get to watch?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
It was much needed sleep , glad you had a chance to recharge the batteries a bit . Dinner sounds divine , I can’t remember the last time I had a meal that I enjoyed that much , no wonder pooch didn’t get much, but hey better some than none so I’m sure he was grateful .

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I knew I was tired ... just didn’t realise how tired I was. I’m feeling much better now @Woo2

Pooch will be renamed either Hoover or Garbage soon .. he inhales food. If I open a cupboard or the fridge he’s right there. I do feed him, but no matter if he’s just eaten, he still thinks he should have more.

The sun is trying to shine here, but I’m chilling inside as I have work tonight.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I knew I was tired ... just didn’t realise how tired I was. I’m feeling much better now @Woo2

Pooch will be renamed either Hoover or Garbage soon .. he inhales food. If I open a cupboard or the fridge he’s right there. I do feed him, but no matter if he’s just eaten, he still thinks he should have more.

The sun is trying to shine here, but I’m chilling inside as I have work tonight.
Sounds like most dogs , I have yet to meet one that doesn’t want to share food . You definitely needed sleep ! Cloud here today but supposed to be nice tom and sun . Hugs to you and pooch ? . Enjoy the relax before work .

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Pooch believes that his food is his (he’s welcome to it), but he also believes my food is his and he can get quite vocal if he thinks he might not get any @Woo2

It was a really nice day today, the sun was shining and it was peaceful. I did four loads of laundry, which included all the bedding, throws etc as it was getting a bit “doggy smelly”, as Pooch is a week overdue for his pampering and I’ve not even managed to give him a bath

That changed today. Necessity is the mother of invention, or so I’m told. Well, Pooch may not have approved, but it was a definite necessity

Imagine if you will, one of those picnic tables, where the two bench seats are attached, the type of thing found in many pub beer gardens. We have those by our pitches. Today it became a bathing table

For no reason I can think of, at some stage in my life I acquired one of those bottles that fit in a water fountain, the type found in office corridors. Don’t ask ... I just have one

A quick hunt around and I found it (there’s not a lot of places such a thing can hide on a pitch in a field. I popped it in the car, drove up to the shower block, filled it with hot water and drove back down. It was far to heavy to carry and I’m not sure the boss would have approved. TBH, he should open the dog wash area and then it wouldn't be an issue, but ...

So, Pooch was placed on the table, I decanted water from the bottle to a large jug, added shampoo and got started. He had two shampoos, plenty of conditioner and a very good rinse. He was so good, that I took off his collar and lead and he just stood there. He was in the sunshine and I did keep telling him what a good boy he was

I then laid a large towel on the grass in the sun and called him over. He rolled about a bit and then sat patiently while I combed him and gave him a very quick very uneven trim. The hair cut is going to be continued over the next few days.

However. He now smells much nicer, he’s fluffy and he’s very clean.

After such a chilled day ... I did an extra shift

The icing on the cake ... I worked with someone for the second time today, she’s very experienced, but new to this company and she said ... I’m the person she most likes to work with

wooo hooo ? ? ? ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Very ingenious :D @Sam Luvit, I can just imagine you doing that ! Needs must though and end result is sweet smelling pooch???. you had a busy day, then topped off with work . Why are you surprised by colleagues comment ?! You are a natural , kind and caring . How is big brother doing ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Sweeter smelling Pooch @Woo2

I suppose the bottom line is I don’t have tons of self confidence :eek: I see the smiles, I hear the “oh good .. it’s you”, but I feel like a fraud in front of other, more experienced people and I’m waiting for them to sneer. I don’t want praise, but I do want the people I work with to tell me I’m doing ok. I think.

I truly don't know if big brother is ok or not. I know he will need lots of sleep to recover. I know his brain is damaged and trying to find new pathways and that means sleep to rest while his brain recovers.

I finally got to speak to him today. The call wasn’t even five minutes... but I could hear him tiring ... FIVE minutes. This from a guy who read a Shakespeare play once and then argued the finer points with me when I’d been studying it for three months. FIVE lousy minutes and he was exhausted. Then I find out he went to the shop to get milk, as his wife didn’t bother. I‘m sure you can figure what I want to do or say to that

I had a break in my shift and went to get some food (my cupboard is a bit bare). First I had the embarrassment of being told I could jump the queue, but I had an hour, so I declined ? Then a numpty got closer and closer until I asked him to move back. He was obviously far too important to follow social distancing ... so he moved past me, then the three in front of me ... so close I’d have been unimpressed before this virus thing. I saw him move back and forth down three aisles getting as close to everyone as he could.

TBH, I barely kept my temper. I wanted to scream at him, at his selfish attitude. Here we are, going in and out of houses, no real idea if it’s safe, risking our health, not seeing friends and family. I can’t see my brother. I can’t see my kids. I can’t watch my grandchild except on video and this ... this pathetic oxygen thief thinks it’s funny to get as close as possible to everyone he can

What is wrong with people?

I’m somewhere between furious and tears. I want to scream. I want to get up close and personal and shake them

Mostly I want to hug my brother and tell him it’s ok

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
There are no words for people like that unfortunately :mad: I had to go in to dr’s surgery a week or so ago and a lady stood normal distance behind me, had to ask her to move back . On the whole people are adhering to it but there will always be a small minority of idiots .
Your colleagues would say if there was a problem , we don’t do praise much . Let the comment of clients guide you that you are doing just fine.

You are right , big brother does need lots of sleep to help his brain recover , see that as a good thing , his body is making him tired so he can sleep and use that energy to heal . Can his son not do some shopping or at least check what’s needed before heading off to work ? Is he stubborn though ? Fil refuses any help and feels he has to push himself hard to get back to where he was. Sending hugs to you and pooch ?

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27