The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I really need to go to sleep I’m tired. The winds picked up today and the awning lines snapped. I’ve been to people I’ve not seen in months .. so the calls were unfamiliar. It’s been hard. I’m tired

Im also very worried. I’m crying in frustration and helplessness. I’m swearing a lot ... Pooch has given up and gone to sleep

I’ve just had a call from a childhood friend, from half way round the world. He’s been talking to my brother. My stubborn, independent, never wants to make a fuss big brother. My friend called because he’s tried and failed to get my dopey brother to call an ambulance. I’ve called and can only extract a promise that he will call 111

I suspect a TIA, at the very least very high blood pressure, but it sounds like a TIA. His speach is slurred (if you know him well). Hostess mode was was evident and he was struggling to sound normal. I can’t see him to check arms or tongue.

Any other time I wouId pick him up and strong arm him into A&E, but these are not normal times. Now, it wouId be exposing him to the virus at a hospital that is already under special measures and has a very, very bad reputation for cross contamination.

I’m scared. There is literally nothing I can do. Anything I do has worse consequences. I can’t think straight

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh Sam! I’ll hold you to the coffee!
But the rest of it........I’m soo sorry. Let’s hope he sees sense and does a 111 or calls the gp.
I'm a bit like that, but my lovely bossy step dau just took over. And the next time I was ill, with pneumonia, I remember so little about it. One minute I was at home, in bed, next thing I was in hospita! But it wasn’t at a time when the whole country was in lock down.,
Just so thankful I was ill from last September and not now!
Keep your chin up!

Last edited:

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh @Sam Luvit , am hoping big brother has made the call , such hard and extraordinary times we are in but he needs medical advice at the very least . Hope you are getting some sleep . Take care .

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Oh Sam! I’ll hold you to the coffee!

Keep your chin up!
Morning @Spamar

I've tried phoning him this morning, but no reply. He’s not an early riser, but still ... I did hope he would pick up the phone. No point in calling the wife, she either won’t answer or will tell me nothing (we are not exactly on good terms .. nor have we been for twenty years).

I expect he will do nothing. He won’t be admitted to hospital, especially not that one. But even so, there’s not much you can do for a TIA other than monitor for further episodes. If he does nothing and the cause is BP, as I suspect, then he will have another. This is no time to be ill.

It’s a date for the coffee ... keep safe so we can do that

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Can he at least call gp for advice and potential medication temporarily to bring bp down until he can have more investigation . I don’t know I’m just trying to think of options . Hope he returns your call soon. X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh Im so sorry about your brother. I think you have probably done all that you can, but the not knowing is the worst.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
So sorry to hear that your brother is not well but glad that the childhood friend contacted you to let you know. , I hope by now he has taken some advise from 111 or GP and that he makes contact with you very soon

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I can’t get an answer this morning @Woo2 , I’m trying to tell myself he is sleeping, but I’m not doing a very convincing job

I've managed to talk to him, he’s at A&E, they won’t let him out the door to call anyone, they gave him the phone on reception. He’s had a stroke and is being transferred to the stroke unit.

Thats all I know

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Oh Sam as if you haven’t got enough to worry about...

At least he went and is being transferred so can get help he needs.

Take care x

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I can’t get an answer this morning @Woo2 , I’m trying to tell myself he is sleeping, but I’m not doing a very convincing job

I've managed to talk to him, he’s at A&E, they won’t let him out the door to call anyone, they gave him the phone on reception. He’s had a stroke and is being transferred to the stroke unit.

Thats all I know
Sending you a big hug ? and strength and speedy recovery to big bro .?

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
Best wishes for your brother's recovery Sam. No consolation I know but in my experience Stroke Units are usually brilliant - they are where I work as a nurse. All the right staff with all the right skills - so much better than being on a general ward as would have been a few years back. Thinking of you x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Sorry to hear that @Sam Luvit . You seem to have been given the full deck of dire situations recently. At least he is now in the right place, even if now is far from the ideal time to get ill.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27