The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Agzy

Yes, the peace n quiet is bliss. After three years of living with Alzheimer’s (mum) and then another year of sorting the estate ... it’s been just what I needed. I doubt I wouId ever have chosen to live full time in a 10 x 6 box, but I’m so glad I was forced into it. There is something so simple about this, no room for “stuff” , so it’s just what you need and the people I’ve met have been so lovely

I hope your OH recovers soon and once this virus has been tamed, you get to go out on the open road again.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Pooch is like a radiator @Woo2 .. sometimes it gets too much and I have to “encourage” him to move a bit. He’s great in the winter, if it’s really cold, but the summer months are a trifle difficult...

I wish ... my first change of rota came through at 08.10 ... then a call from the office just after 09.00 ... it’s been manic ever since. I tried a catnap but I gave up. Suffice to say, by the time I got home, I couldn’t tell you where I’ve been, or who I saw. I do know I got some smiles and I left my last call laughing. Who can call that working???

Very reluctantly, but necessary, I’ve spoken with youngest and agreed I will not be seeing them in the foreseeable future. It’s too much of a risk. Much as I want to ... it’s not fair on them. So, it’s going to be phone calls for now until it all blows over.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Bikerbeth

Yes, I was out there today and tonight. It was .... eventful ? Some laughs and a few tears (from me) as some people are scared and in pain. I like to think they felt a bit better after I’d been.

It’s very, very different doing this, as apposed to being emotionally linked with a PWD. I can walk away. It’s only 15, 30 or 45 minutes. Yes, I care about most of the people I see (there will always be people you just can’t connect with), but I can walk away. It’s not like it was with mum, where I just had to grin n bear the insults, the snide remarks or the emotional bullying. Now, I can be someone who can make the medicine go down, who can get clean clothes on and can get a decent amount of liquid drunk. It’s a thousand per cent easier.

I’m sure the memories of Baby Girls chuckles will keep me smiling for a while yet. Youngest also stockpiled the hugs, so that was good too. I will no doubt be drawing on those memories in the coming weeks. They will sustain me, I hope, through this.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s been a very long week. I was looking forward to a lie in tomorrow, but ... I guess it’s not to be.

I got a message (while out working) that the site is to close. Initially this was that we wouId all have to leave by 10.00 tomorrow. This has been ‘amended” to say a meeting to discuss and then a discussion. To be honest, I don’t know what the outcome will be, but it looks like my peaceful living is coming to a somewhat abrupt close

I am patting myself on the back for not freaking out and just walking out. I called in, said I needed a break to sort “something” out and only dropped one call. I’ve messaged and called various friends, trying to find a driveway or field I can park up in ... so far nothing has come back .. but it’s early days lol.

Its possible (just look at me being optimistic), that we could stay, but it will almost certainly be without any facilities ... showers, electric, loos etc. Not exactly ideal. Some here are ”key workers”, but I’m not convinced that will make much difference

I wonder if I wouId offer a driveway if I had family living with me to think of. I’d like to think I wouId, but ... so I can hardly be surprised at others reluctance

I will have to see what tomorrow brings

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Hope your optimism works and you and the other semi permanents can stay. Perhaps you could stay with hook up even if you could not use the facilities.
Emergency driveway here for you

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you sort out somewhere to site your home.
This has happened because so many selfish people have stupidly taken to their motorbikes and turned up in remote places like the Scottish Highlands and North Wales and you have been caught in the crosswise.
Thinking of you and sending a hug.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Emergency driveway here for you

I hope we can stay, preferably with at least electric, although showers and loo wouId be nice .. water might be good too ?

I can’t see how telling “long term” people to leave is abiding by the rules of “only essential travel”. Surely, that’s going to force people to move to other areas where there might be a field or driveway available .. risking taking the virus there

If we all have to move, do we then self isolate in a new area for two weeks, with no income? What about the jobs we are then forced to leave? What about ...? It’s all a bit ?

Thank you for the very generous offer @Bikerbeth ....

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I will be keeping my fingers crossed that you sort out somewhere to site your home.

Thank you for the “socially distancing hug” @reedysue, these are indeed trying times.

Everyone on the site has adopted good practice, keeping a good distance, talking with the “road” between us, mostly staying in our Motorhome or caravans. We are probably a good model for others to follow, rather than a threat.

I do understand that the mass exodus into rural areas has caused this, but we are not holidaymakers, we are mostly people who have been unable to rent bricks n mortar due to owning pets. It was this or street homeless for the majority.

I‘m dreading the call from the office begging me to cover more shifts, when I don't know if I will even be near enough to do any at all

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I know motorhome and caravan/camping clubs have shut all their sites down including the small certified ones BUT as you say you are not just short term/transient. Just hope the let you good folks stay and just not anyone new onto the site

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Oh Sam how worrying?

Sam do you have a contract with the site because that should confirm if you are allowed to stay 52 weeks per year, it’s very complicated I know, especially due to this health scare.... If you can stay the whole year surely they should be more understanding and at least give people time, but my guess is they will presume everyone has a permanent home elsewhere and are doing this to avoid liability.

On the site we were on, it was 48 week season, but although you could be there for all those weeks you had to have a permanent address elsewhere because it wasn’t a residential park (unlike the park home sit I now live on in an apartment).

I really hope the allow you to stay albeit with no services, they obviously want to close down so they too can isolate. This is a consequence of unsecure accommodation, I really feel for you.

What about your brother or Son, could you possibly stay with them until you can find something else?

Thinking of you and Poochie poo....

Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Oh no Sam.

I know the site we use in Anglesey was ordered by the council to close as they posted it on their FB page and I believe others in NWales are doing the same.

But if you are permanent it is different.

I hope a resolution can be reached.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @Agzy

Yes, the peace n quiet is bliss. After three years of living with Alzheimer’s (mum) and then another year of sorting the estate ... it’s been just what I needed. I doubt I wouId ever have chosen to live full time in a 10 x 6 box, but I’m so glad I was forced into it. There is something so simple about this, no room for “stuff” , so it’s just what you need and the people I’ve met have been so lovely

I hope your OH recovers soon and once this virus has been tamed, you get to go out on the open road again.
It’s been a very long week. I was looking forward to a lie in tomorrow, but ... I guess it’s not to be.

I got a message (while out working) that the site is to close. Initially this was that we wouId all have to leave by 10.00 tomorrow. This has been ‘amended” to say a meeting to discuss and then a discussion. To be honest, I don’t know what the outcome will be, but it looks like my peaceful living is coming to a somewhat abrupt close

I am patting myself on the back for not freaking out and just walking out. I called in, said I needed a break to sort “something” out and only dropped one call. I’ve messaged and called various friends, trying to find a driveway or field I can park up in ... so far nothing has come back .. but it’s early days lol.

Its possible (just look at me being optimistic), that we could stay, but it will almost certainly be without any facilities ... showers, electric, loos etc. Not exactly ideal. Some here are ”key workers”, but I’m not convinced that will make much difference

I wonder if I wouId offer a driveway if I had family living with me to think of. I’d like to think I wouId, but ... so I can hardly be surprised at others reluctance

I will have to see what tomorrow brings
just read on a motor home forum that all over thecountry sites are ‘evicting’ long stay semi residents with almost no notice. Hope you get sorted somewhere.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Hope you have managed to find a resolution. Gov site does say if you have no other permanent residence or key workers that your do not have to leave’. Hope your site is respecting that on both your claims

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think the sites should be closed to those moving from A to B and back again, as they are potentially spreading the virus. They might want to go out to their holiday homes, but it’s selfish IMHO @Bikerbeth

Being me ... I reached out (virtually) to people with knowledge and passed that on, I’ve chatted from a distance with others and tried to calm the fears. We’ve joked about moving vans onto the road and then calling the council and telling them to find us homes ... there are none to be had ... so they wouId have to tell us to park up again ?

We got a reprieve until 5pm last night, but some were kicked off yesterday. They have gone to relatives driveways ? Others couldn’t find anywhere to go, so stayed, but were very worried about what the owner wouId do. Two are cancer patients, so vulnerable and scared already. I think talking has helped them to feel less alone in this.

There is a very strong community spirit here, keeping our distance, but supportive of each other

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @DianeW

Yes, it is worrying, but I’ve had two people searching news updates and government statements and sending me verified info, which I’m passing on to fellow campers and the owner.

We are not permanent residents, so don’t have that protection. We are “long stay”, which basically means we can be here for six weeks at a time. It is a complicated system, but we “leave” visiting friends, relatives, short breaks etc, while “storage” of vans etc is covered by rent. The reality is that we are here permanently but officially we are not permanent.. complicated red tape stuff.

The owner wants everyone to go (his language was considerably less polite than that) ... “not my xxx problem”. His focus is on his loss of income, with no regard for others. Staff have been laid off with just hours notice and he’s told other staff they might be leaving soon too. Absolute charmer.

I’ve tried suggesting that we couid do the cleaning of communal areas ourselves to protect everyone. Each being responsible for making sure loos and showers are bleached etc ... just like any decent person wouId in their own homes

My brother and son have no room and neither have a driveway. Youngest has Baby Girl and in-laws with health issues, so are self isolating due to vulnerability... I wouId be a risk to them with my job.

The Coronavirus Bill looks promising for protection ... fingers and ties crossed it’s enough to let us stay

Pooch is happy with me being around and lots of walks. For a change ... he’s stretched out fast asleep

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Holiday sites are closed @jugglingmum and I agree with that. People travelling to other areas will just spread the virus further.

The Coronavirus Bill is clear that ...
“Where people live permanently in caravan parks or are staying in caravan parks as interim abodes where their primary residence is not available, they may continue to do so“
we just have to hope the owner does what this says he should ..

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Three or four families evicted yesterday @Agzy, two others told to get out, but didn’t as they literally had nowhere to go to. Only three of us are key workers, the other two are medical supplies, so we are “safer”, but not safe.

Watching people pack up and drive away was horrid yesterday. Emotions were high amongst the rest. I tried to be a voice of reason repeating the “no unnecessary travel”, which we wouId be doing if we left. Four different family units, talking about it seemed to help us feel like we can at least support each other and the two vulnerable families can feel less alone.

I just hope the owner abides by the Coronavirus Bill and lets us all stay. Too late for those kicked out yesterday, I’m sad to say

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh Sam, I really feel for you.
There is a drive here, but I fear it is too far away from work, and we are self isolating too.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman