The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thats what I don’t understand or accept @jugglingmum. My clothes were old, but clean, so that my kids were clean and tidy, well fed and had treats. I can’t call them parents, more like breeders .. they are manicured, designer clad and dripping in jewellery... while the kids are barefoot and bare bummed. Bad enough in the home, but in a store .. ? ? ? ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
.... Have a rest , a large cm and relax .
It was a long trip, but I’ve definitely capped my distance at the end of the A11 lol. Beyond that, the roads are rubbish and felt like half the trip

This time I took the car, as I only had a day to do it and as they changed it to an “open house”, I had no choice of times. I’ll attempt others with Poppet, although that restricts driving around too much due to parking, but I’ll have to research that part

Lol. I took a friend to view my last house, he opened the kitchen doors with a pen and then binned the pen! All flooring, carpets and tiles, the entire kitchen and bathroom went in the skip on day one. Floor boards out the window into the garden and burnt when they had dried off .. ugg. But, when it was cleaned out, it was really nice

Tiday is shopping with big brother (if there is anything left on the shelves) and a lazy afternoon with a book ? ?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Hit nail on head perfectly there ! Cringe worthy , schlepping around the town in pyjamas , no standards , no brains . Sorry that’s harsh , surrounded by them here :(

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Exactly what this one was like @jugglingmum .. upstairs was still very much two houses. It needs a drastic change in layout, which is doable, but I doubt the market value would stand the cost.

I used to do that mirage and more, with an eight to ten hour working day in between ... this was much harder. Maybe because I’m out the habit, or because the roads were so rubbish, or just because it was such an anticlimax, but at least I’ve ruled out some areas enroute

Id better get Pooch out again ... his tummy is making horrid noises :eek:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I can't say I've seen many people in my area in PJs in the shops - except once - and by their ginger hair and particular Irish accent - they were connected to the ones I saw in costco. Hence the particular wide berth they were given. One of them was in my dau's class in primary school - apparently the school carried out nit treatment on her as the 'family' weren't interested. Needless to say the girls don't continue into secondary school.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Shame the house was not suitable but ruling out some area on the journey would be helpful.
Mind you I spent 5 happy years in a village that I had ruled out initially but it was the only area that had a bungalow we could afford.
Hope you had a relaxing day and Pooches tummy is all quiet again

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
There are pockets around here where PJ’s wearing in shops became so bad, some stores banned them. Have you even heard of a “dress code” for A**A @jugglingmum

My jaw dropped a few weeks ago on seeing two “ladies” striding off to collect their children from school ... wearing matching dressing gowns

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hope you had a relaxing day and Pooches tummy is all quiet again

If the house had felt good, I’d have considered the awful drive to it for visitors and myself, but driving away from it, I knew I wouId dread that last hour of the drive.

I quite liked the scenery on the journey, it seems I’m not against flat landscapes lol. There’s something to be said for a lack of hills ... much easier walking Pooch ?

Pooch was not happy ... I got asked to cover a few hours ... but he snuggled up when I got home. He’s stretched out in my bed now sleeping.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s been a really busy week ... so much so, that I had to check what day it is today :eek:

I made it to youngest’s, it’s been so long I had to be reintroduced to Baby Girl, but three days later we were grinning and chuckling together. Nothing like Baby Girl cuddles ... I’m going again soon.

I even managed a brief meet with @Woo2, thank you for the tea, it’s so nice to put faces to names.

Needless to say, I returned to begging calls and have worked every day since. Only short evenings, but ... I’m really tired tonight. No, I couldn’t say “no”. We have over 15% self isolating and we need to pull together to make sure everyone is ok. I will be very glad when I get home tomorrow night ...

If anyone heard a blood curdling scream about midday. My apologies. I’m not very tolerant (not at all tolerant if I’m honest), when I’m tired. Let’s just say that some eejit deciding he wouId pull round a parked car and drive at me, well .... it didn't fill me with joy. So as I drove away, I let out a scream. I did feel better afterwards.

My mood was not improved when I arrived at my first call, only to find the office had changed my entire evening, but forgot to phone or email me the changes. Fortunately for everyone ... I took a long slow breath and calmed down.

Pooch was mega excited to see my home (I’d left him forever ... in his mind). A mere three hours in reality. He’s now curled up by me, chin on my shins fast asleep. I know he’s going to grumble soon ... I need to move my legs ... but I’m holding off as long as I can

While trying to find something I can actually eat, a “fellow shopper” (I’m not going to call her a lady), decided to tell me she had bought lactofree milk last week as the shop she uses didn’t have any normal milk. You should have seen her face when I told her that someone who is lacto intolerant and needs that milk, wouId projectile vomit if they tried to use normal milk. Hopefully she won’t be as selfish next time and actually go to one of the many other outlets that sells normal milk ... but there again ...

In amongst the “shortages” of pasta, loo roll, bread etc etc etc and all the angst going on, I’ve had my faith in decent humanity restored. Several of my friends and co workers have posted on FB about various items they are desperate to find, including gluten free products. Not only have others found them, but they have purchased and dropped them on doorsteps to help out.

Keep safe everyone ;)

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
There is a lovely community spirit out there . We are so quick to say people only care about their selves and are materialistic but I have seen and heard many examples of kindness this week . Glad you had a great time with Baby Girl ??. You can’t move your legs and disturb pooch ! He is absolutely adorable , I’m dog napping him next time I see him☺️. Take care.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Woo2, at least I think it is :oops: ... it’s bright anyway lol. In fact, although it’s very crisp, the sun is so bright it hurt my eyes. Its almost criminal to think of crawling back under the covers .... but I’m a tad tired and I have a long shift later

There appear to be four distinct groups coming out in these trying times:

The Hoarders - selfishly grabbing everything they can, much more than they can possibly need and creating a cycle of shortages. I don’t wish them any harm, but I do hope their loo roll gets damp and their baked beans have been mislabelled so they find the tin has something unappetising in them

The Scammers - ever opportunistic, they have shown a new depth of disgusting IMHO, offering doorstep tests, grocery collections etc and walking away with sorely needed cash, thus increasing the vulnerability of those already struggling. I’d like to say Karma can get them, but I’m not feeling very generous towards them ....

The Supporters - those businesses and enterprises who have looked at ways of keeping going so they can keep paying their staff, or those that can afford it who have donated large sums to help support the vulnerable. Even banks have looked at payment holidays for mortgages, credit cards and loans. Supermarkets trying to support the vulnerable and the NHS staff with shopping windows so they can actually eat. Taxi companies offering free delivery of shopping, or even getting NHS staff to and from work. These I applaud. The long term effects will bring them benefits of loyal customers, but right now, they are reducing the burdens faced by so many

The Little People - this group, though small in comparison are hero’s. They are picking up items and dropping on doorsteps to virtual strangers, sharing what they have or just being kind by only buying the absolute essentials so the shelves are not emptied as fast. They are a feisty group, naming & shaming anyone trying to profit from this. They are the community many have lamented losing in the past

Baby Girl was a much needed tonic, she has the funniest chuckle and although teething, she is a happy wee thing. I will be visiting more often ... so long as it’s feasible and we all stay well

I managed to hold out on moving my legs until, Pooch stretched and rolled over into his back, legs splayed and content. He stayed like that until I dragged him out in the cold for his last walk before bed. He does like to snuggle :D We can swop ... you can fall over Pooch and I can scratch your ones ears without breaking my back reaching down?

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Absolutely agree 100% There will always be unsavory’s trying to capitalise . I like to believe in Karma .

More than happy to have a snuggle buddy , he is like a warm blanket . Mine has a bad leg so is on strict garden only exercise at the moment. Hasn’t moved off sofa since Thursday evening ? .

sounds perfect re seeing baby girl more? . There is lots for you both to gain from that special relationship . Hope you have crawled back under the duvet and getting some more much needed shut eye . Take care.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I’m not going back to the beginning, I don’t have the energy and it serves little purpose. A little synopsis might help link my two lives though ....

I had a year, while I lived in limbo, the house went under offer, but stalled as my buyer couldn’t sell. I realised I could go a week without seeing anyone, without talking to anyone but to Pooch, so I went out and got a job. The house went back under offer shortly afterwards ... isn’t that always the way!

So things moved along slowly and I slowly packed up and went to work and walked Pooch. I saw my brother every week, taking him fishing, sitting with him by the lake watching the swans and learning how to spot where the fish were. It was peaceful, but things were moving along

Eventually we got to a point where the buyers started pushing, they wanted to be in for Christmas, but nothing more definite than that. So, I suggested dates, I insisted on three weeks between exchange and completion, I’d had one sale fall through, I wanted more certainty this time. The dates were agreed

The buyer cane round for a second viewing. Telling me I was holding everything up! Cheeky mare. I’d run myself ragged getting my brother into the solicitor and sorting all the paperwork. My solicitor confirmed that she had everything she needed from me

On the day of exchange ... it fell through ... my buyer had failed to complete his paperwork with his seller. Silence followed. Twelve days later it was back on, but with the same completion date. I baulked. No chance of being ready in nine days. My solicitor assured me so long as it was done at some time that day, it was fine. Don’t believe solicitors. it was not fine

I don’t want to re-hash that day. It was horrible, they were nasty. I was a mess. They didn’t care and one after another told me how disgusting I was to not be ready at noon. Three hours of their bullying and I almost wept

I deal with it by telling myself “they have a massive mortgage and I have their cash in my bank”. It’s helping

Anyway. I couldn’t find anywhere that wouId rent to me with Pooch in tow. Nothing. Nada! So, I looked at Poppet and decided to give it a go. The sixteenth site I phoned turned out to be the only one in the area open over winter! Fingers crossed I drove out to see it, praying it was half decent. It’s blooming lovely. Clean. Well maintained. Friendly. Perfect

The week of the move, several people who were going to help, couldn’t. Poppet decided not to start. I plodded on, what else could I do? I chatted up a recovery guy and he moved Poppet to site. At least I had somewhere to sleep. Unfortunately he moved her the day before moving day, instead of the week before, so I didn’t get the chance to kit her out, make a bed up etc

Moving day. Well, that went a bit array, the charity shop stuff, the storage stuff, some of the rubbish and all my stuff went in the same van and everything went to the site. All dumped on the grass outside Poppet. Yikes. Not what I needed

So, there I am, surrounded by stuff, with Pooch and Poppet, our new home. I plugged in the cable and .... nothing. No lights. No heating. No nothing. It was blooming freezing. I phoned the emergency mechanic and made the bed by torchlight while I waited. An hour later I was £££ worse off, with an improvised extension lead for a light and a promise of a new part “tomorrow”. An hour later the light went out, the heater went off and Pooch and I went to bed to get warm.

The next day my brother arrived and we figured how to put up the awning, moved lots of stuff inside before it could get wet and then I waited for the mechanic to arrive. Early evening and I had light and heat. it took days to get warm! Pooch was not impressed. He used me as his heater lol

We’ve settled into a routine. We get up around six and go for a walk. It’s total silence. its so peaceful. Pooch runs around sniffing, scampers around in the leaves and checks I’m still there. He’s so sweet. Then it’s back to Poppet, where I have three coffees while Pooch has his breakfast, then snuggles on my lap. Around nine, I walk up the hill for a nice long hot shower, then back to Poppet for another coffee and Pooch snuggle

We then walk up the hill and sit by reception, while I pick up emails, swop books at the library and amble back to Poppet, more coffee and snuggles.

The days I work, Pooch goes to sleep on my bed, he wakes up as I come home, all bleary eyed as I come in. He was pretty excited at first, but he’s settled well. I think he’s worked out that I’m going to come back and he doesn’t get in a panic now.

Christmas Day was perfect. Absolute silence. Crisp and clear. I’d even managed to borrow a gas BBQ from my brother and cooked a full English breakfast. I’d agreed to do a few hours Christmas night, but I only saw clients I knew and apart from one unwell person, it was actually very nice.

So .... that’s the brief synopsis lol
Kind of life if only I could. I bought my MoHo as caravan got too much and, 2 days after buying it my OH, Pauline became very ill with water infection and now in hospital so the MoHo (I cant decide on a name) hasnt moved since I parked it in my driveway. 40 years of camping and caravanning and loving the life has come to a grinding halt. I dont envy you the trials and tribulations you have been through but Oh, the peace and quiet and fresh air, that I do envy. Stay strong.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I think you were working a bit tonight so I hope you had a good evening and I am sure you left some smiles along the way. Total respect for what you do along with all those others working in the essential services. Not just at this time but all the time.
I am also glad you managed to see son and baby granddaughter with the lovely chuckles. It must have been a lovely distraction from this crazy world at the moment.
Like @Woo2 i like to believe in karma