The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
@jugglingmum - spent 3 years travelling up to The Wirral to visit a factory there once a month. Only ever got to the car park at Cheshire Oaks though. We do like it up that way and tend to spend a week up there each year to visit friends in N Wales, on the Wirral and relatives in south Lancs.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I shall move on. I will get over this. It’s but a blip on my otherwise impressive future
Good attitude after a frustrating day. It is so annoying when you seek help and end up with duff advice and wasted time. I hope this solution though is a better one for your drive away awning and that you are all sorted now.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
You wouId have been very well entertained this afternoon @jugglingmum I really appreciated the thought, but the person who offered to help just couldn’t get the idea that the front edge of the awning is not straight ... it’s all git to come down again and I’ll try again at the weekend ... soooo frustrating

I suppose I’ll be a seasoned awning put’er up’er by the end of the week :oops:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have plans afoot ... I know I’ve been dragging my feet on the house hunting ... I don't know, it just somehow makes this too real. If I actually go buy a house, somewhere else, then this part of my life is over. I know I want to get into the next stage ... but do I?? Is my dragging feet, my long search all a way of hanging onto the familiar, the slender thread holding me here ...

I’m forcing the issue. I’m making myself get on with it. I picked up the phone tonight and called youngest ... next week I’ve committed myself to actually going to look at houses. I’ve arranged to stay with him for a few days while I drive around to look at areas near to him.

The hard part of this is also knowing that one of my clients is terminal, but now another has also received a JIC box ... both light up when they see me, both grin and laugh with me, both are amazing people and I love them. It’s hurting to know I will lose them ... but I can’t leave them .. I just can’t.

How do I choose that it’s time for me to move? Can I just leave? There is always going to be another person that I want to make laugh. It’s not like I can ask for the unlovable .... just so I can’t make any connections.

Life sucks sometimes

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
It sure does . I get that about your clients completely . My head says to you they cannot be part of your decision making , you have to do what’s best for you and you alone . Heart says something different ! Why do you have to move away ? You seem settled and content . Sorry if you have mentioned why previously , brain cells aren’t as sharp as they were :rolleyes: .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I think the fact that you state ‘dragging your feet’ and ‘forcing the issue’ says something on its own As @Woohoo says do you really need to move away as you seem settled and content where you are?
When Mum decided to move from the family home and downsize she decided she would take her time and find the house that she really wanted with no compromises. It took 2 years.
I guess what I am saying is there a hurry to move.
I know you mentioned doing a property up so it might not be feasible but if you are not ready to move away from the area you are in currently, could you buy and rent out until the time is right for you to move away.
If you can’t leave your current clients for the reasons you say (and are understandable) then it would mean to move, you would be unable to take on new clients in the future as they too would prevent you moving. You sound like the sort of person who would always get attached to your clients.
Have you done the old fashioned pro and cons list on paper so it is all in black and white?

on a light note what is the status of the awning?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
.....on a light note what is the status of the awning?

My “having to move” is economics driven, I simply cannot afford to buy anything other than a basement flat here, or near youngest (and grandchildren). Moving a hundred miles north opens up my options to a house, garden and space. The former wouId be impossible as my health inevitably declines, the latter allows for visitors. Add in the looming property price rise and I have to start ... or that’s how I see it @Bikerbeth and @Woohoo

Yes, I am loving living in a field, but it’s a bit like renting ... you can be asked to move on. I’ve already had to move pitch ... I could have to move again if the owners want to cut down a tree or upgrade drainage etc. My own place gives me some stability to put down more permanent roots and settle properly. I intend to take Poppet on outings and live in different fields!!

I won’t be buying the first place I see, the location needs to work, I want somewhere I can feel comfortable and make into a home. My criteria is pretty basic, garden, parking and large kitchen area. A spare room my brother can have if he needs it or I can get a lodger to boost my income (and babysit Pooch if I go on holiday)

The average time for a property sale to go through is four months, a further two months to get rewiring, basic plumbing sorted and I’m looking at six months before I could “camp” in a project. I won’t be moving anytime soon ... but once I’ve made an offer and it’s been accepted ... I know the price is fixed ( or negotiated down on survey results)

I think these two particular clients have tugged at my heart strings as both needed a lot of work to break through their fierce independence to let me help. They both say I’m a friend now and I feel the same about them. There will be others in the future, but ....there will also be new ones when I move, or I hope there will be

Dont even go there .... the awning is on the move ... literally ... it’s walking away from the van.

Guess what I’m doing again today ...

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Life does indeed sucks sometimes. I understand when you say economics is a factor and that property prices do keep on rising and the need for some stability to settle. Apologies if I made inappropriate comments

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Hope you are getting on ok @Sam Luvit & making progress on the awning & finding more houses to view?
I always made a pros & cons list when viewing & then always came back to the house that was under my nose.? By the time I had decided to go for it, they needed it gone & the price was reduced.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Sorry Ive been absent from your thread, Sam. OH has been in and out of hospital (currently back in again)

I think that when its the right time for you to buy, you will just know.
Perhaps at the moment your body and mind still needs healing.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
... Apologies if I made inappropriate comments
No apologies needed. You said nothing inappropriate. This is a conversation, between friends. If I didn’t want comments or suggestions, I wouldn't post anything. I value your comments, they make me rethink or re-evaluate my thinking. It’s good.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hope you are getting on ok @Sam Luvit & making progress on the awning & finding more houses to view?

The awning is back up ... it was still up when I got home again late tonight. Next week I will make a start on visiting estate agents? I hate doing that. Smarmy sales ... either falling over themselves to “help” or dismissive of budgets

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s ok, @canary, I know you are going through some things I was spared, I try not to remember the hospital admissions. They are harder in the Carer that the caree, IMHO. I hope your OH gets well enough to come home and you remember to get some rest

Much as I’d like to stay in the cocoon I’ve built ... I do need to find a new home. Maybe a new focus will help me

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Urgh @Sam Luvit the smarmy estate agents! I had 4 valuations for my mum’s bungalow. I liked the lady estate agent but her quote was the highest! I went with an estate agent who have one of the cheapest selling prices & you do the viewings. I knew the bungalow would sell quickly & it did, on the first viewing! But he was smarmy as anything & I also viewed houses with him. I didn’t like him at all! I bid for a house & lost out to an invested & I’m sure he didn’t put my case forward.
As it happens the first house that I put an offer in for is still on the market! It came back on the market after I had moved in here. The story with that was after I had my offer accepted, I was gazumped so yeah karma totally!
Just watch out for that, the owner had gone to another estate agent & they took an offer.

I made the right decision having this house though ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Urgh @Sam Luvit the smarmy estate agents!

When I was looking for my last house a decade ago, I knew I’d struggle to find anything in my budget, but I also knew there were some cheaper houses around. Several estate agents just laughed at me when I gave them the figure (not nice), while others smarmed all over me with that “of course we can find you the perfect little house .. blah blah blah”. Ugg is right @Kikki21

Once an offer has been accepted, they are not allowed to take a higher offer, without taking it off the market for three months ... or that was the change in law back in the 80’s after so much guzupming went on.

Oh the joys of house hunting ... I can’t wait to do it all again lol

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I must have been really lucky , had a good estate agent that has been in our village for donkeys years , he sold our first house with first viewer , just sold mums house with him, first viewer offered but pulled out days before exchange , he had another couple lined up and sold it almost straight away. He did the viewings too. I met 3 others just to get valuation for records and OPG and gosh they were sickly smarmy and tried to get me to sign up to this new auction style of selling . Good luck .