The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have been “fit for work” for over a week, but no hours. Then got asked if I could “help out”. I’m a sucker for the hard luck stories and I was tempted to say I was busy, but three of the six calls were peopke I know ... so of course I said yes. Two of them threw their arms round me and cried. I love my job. It’s a privilege to do it. I’d do it for free if I could afford to.

I’ve wondered if I do make any difference in the past, questioned if I am doing it right, but tonight ... tonight I felt like superwoman. There is something amazing about walking into a room and seeing a face light up just because it’s you.

At one, the job was finished, but my time wasn’t. I stood by her bed, held her hand and just talked. She’s in so much pain, but doesn’t want to complain. I shared photos and talked about sunrises and sunsets, walking on a beach and listening to the waves. She smiled, really grinned ..it was beautiful, she was beautiful.

Tonight I did a good thing. Tonight I feel good.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
why are you so surprised at the effect you can have on another human @Sam Luvit , you have nursed your mum and obviously have bucket loads of compassion , sadly a lot of carers do not . You are definitely in the right job and it’s so heartening to hear , how happy you made that lady. Enjoy the feeling , it’s much deserved . We knock people too easily but are slower to acknowledge human kindness . Take care .

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
You should indeed feel good. You made someone else feel good and that is an amazing skill to have. Mega pats on the back to you

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Bikerbeth and @Woohoo :oops:, I’ve still got a smile on my face this morning, even though it’s pouring down and high winds are expected later on ...I’ve arranged help to swop my awning over today, they will either bail on me or we will all get soaked! Before anyone suggests it ... no .. this is the only day for at least a month that they can help .. so it has to be today

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
That sounds like you had a really nice visit last night.

I hope you swapped your awning over OK, wind was OK this morning as I crossed the Pennines (M62 - fencing in Harrogate) but torrential rain with a bit of snow, as I crossed back, it was dry but wind was horrendous.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
We got the awning swopped over @Bikerbeth ... however, we had hail just as we got the first one down, so we broke for coffee.

I moved Poppet, reversed her into the pitch (my first attempt at parking) and I got her almost straight and inches off where I wanted her! Well impressed with myself! I had offers to do it for me, although I was tempted ... I had to try and I’m glad I did. Confidence is growing.

The second lot of hail was just before we were leaving to drop big brother home ... we waited that out!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @jugglingmum ?

Awning swopped over, hail avoided with lots of coffee:p We had high gusts, but they didn’t seem so bad as they were only 40mph! It felt quiet tame after the 77mph of the previous week ... I guess it’s all perspective!!

The M62 can be a bit .... I remember it well! My first ever drive in England, solo, in dads car, in January and yes, it had snowed! Hope the fencing was fun and successful

lol. Pooch has decided he wants to join me, so he’s climbed on my lap and head butted my arm up so he can climb under it and snuggle up. Typing has just become a little more difficult! He’s attempting to rest his head on my right arm, but he’s getting bumped about .. expect a growl or whine any second now!

I‘m going on the war path shortly. The shop opens at ten.

Sorry, I got ahead of myself .. blame Pooch for the disruption

So. We emptied the awning. Took down the old one, a few gusts saw me hanging onto it while the others pulled out the last pegs. I had visions of it sailing off into a (not so) nearby field and me chasing it, but I kept it under control enough to get it rolled and thrown into the back of a van

I’d like to have looked over the instructions for the new one earlier, but at 26kg, I couldn’t lift the box out of the boot by myself and the instructions are sewn into the lining of the bag ... so it was a case of working it out as we went.

When I went to buy this, I told them I was new to the whole Motorhome situation, I needed their guidance. Yes, I’ve done research, but they are the experts. I was surprised to get a pump and mallet with it, both of which I already have, but, hey ho, a spare is always handy. Well, that is until the head of the mallet flies off on the second swing and you have to go find it ... or use something else out of your toolbox! It also came with a carpet. A CARPET. Honestly, camping is not what it used to be

So, all is looking good, until we unwrap the awning. Bags of pegs. Bags of guy ropes. Bags of storm straps. But ... I can’t find the connection strip. The silly bit that attaches the awning to the Motorhome that allows me to unhook and drive away. I know I asked about it. I know he told me it was all included. We looked again. We emptied bags. I gave in and phoned the shop ... which box should it be in? What does it look like? How big is it?

You guessed. It’s an “extra”. Not helped by the person telling me that it could have been added (for free) as I’d spent so much. So. The awning had to go up, guessing on distance needed to attach it today and I have an hours trip to go buy one. The don’t open till ten and I start work at twelve. I’m not a happy bunny.

Thats my third coffee this morning. I’m going for a shower, then I’m going to war ....

EDIT

Would you believe it .... they don’t open till eleven today, so I can’t go till tomorrow. Hmmm. Not going to be any happier by then

Last edited:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Congratulations on your first reverse parking of Poppet.
the connection strips - certainly frustrating. I hope you are still getting them for free

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I moved Poppet, reversed her into the pitch (my first attempt at parking) and I got her almost straight and inches off where I wanted her! Well impressed with myself!

I'm very impressed too - especially if you did it with an audience - I first reverse parked ours with no one about.

On reading your post I felt sympathy for whoever you see in the shop - as a Sam who has been crossed if formidable.

As @Bikerbeth says I presume you are going to demand the connection strip for free.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
TBH I parked Poppet better than I parked the car later on @Bikerbeth!! I think it was the fact that I just had to do it, so I did. Now I’ve done it once, hopefully the next time won’t be too stressful. I don’t fancy the idea of doing it in front of lots of holiday makers at a strange site :oops:

We shall see what they do about the connection strip ....

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
...as a Sam who has been crossed is formidable.

I’d much prefer to have parked with no one around too @jugglingmum but needs must and all that. I was very tempted to take up the offer for someone else to park her, but I know I have to learn

In the month between first finding Poppet and finally picking her up, she grew in my mind till she was massive and I was really stressing about driving her. It was quite a surprise to see she wasn’t as big as I’d imagined her. Fear is a strange thing. I wouldn’t say she seems small now, but she’s not that big either :p

I don’t know what you mean .... I’m a pussy cat ??

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I’d love to be near the sea @Kikki21, I’m not bothered about isolation, in fact, I’d prefer it. I think life with mum got so full of people in and out, that I crave solitude now. Maybe that’s why I love living in this field lol.

My last house was a “project”. I spent nearly a decade gradually doing it up, I could take out my frustrations of office politics on rotten floorboards or weeds. This time it will be different, without the office politics to fight, but I have a dream of creating some peaceful space I can just live in, if that makes sense
i can totally understand the needing of peace calm & a project!
the journey through dementia changes you & i find the day to day life of living needs a new focus as time is now very precious & have the huge desire to create a positive environment for myself & family.

i yearn for open skies & no one else in sight !

not making hasty decisions about moving as i am not sure what i now want to do/ achieve but am sure as Aged mother progresses on her last part of this journey my need for a quiet environment will just increase!

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Living miles from anywhere is a lovely thought but the reality can become very inconvenient, believe me I know, we live 16 miles from the nearest village and 40 miles from the nearest town/city.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
TBH I parked Poppet better than I parked the car later on @Bikerbeth!! I think it was the fact that I just had to do it, so I did. Now I’ve done it once, hopefully the next time won’t be too stressful. I don’t fancy the idea of doing it in front of lots of holiday makers at a strange site :oops:
But that is the fun of being on a site watching the others arrive and sometimes trying to park up.
worst pitch we had was totally uneven stones on a slanting pitch. Trying to reverse motorhome on the levellers resulted in quite a lot of unprintable words esp when the stones went flying. I am sure we were good entertainment that day. Beautiful location though just outside the village of Stilton

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Well ... that was a very frustrating day. Two sets of road works and long delays on the route. Nothing like sitting at a red light four times on a round trip to improve your mood

The short version ... they could have told me, on the phone, on Saturday ... there are alternative ways of connecting a drive away awning, one of which will be much better if I’m going to drive away often. Not only that, but the connections for that method were in the kit

I was polite. I smiled. I said thank you. I walked away. The air was somewhat colourful in the car once I was afforded the privacy of the open road

So ... tomorrow .. another blooming tomorrow... I will empty the awning, move it a few feet and attach it to the van, then replace everything inside and set about making places for everything. I’m a tiny, weeny bit irritated

I shall move on. I will get over this. It’s but a blip on my otherwise impressive future

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
You can’t help but be changed by this @DesperateofDevon, personally, I’ve realised that 80 hour weeks and rushed visits do not appeal. I’ve drastically reduced my hours, just enough to pay the bills and every other hour is spent talking to friends and strangers, walking Pooch and looking at the world around me, visiting friends with an “open” leaving time. All I want is time

I made no plans while I was with mum, some vague ideas, but no plans. A little over a year after she left, I’m making plans slowly. I know the stats mean I’ll probably be paying for my own care, so I’m helping the kids when I can now. Other than that ... it’s all about spending time with people I care about and time for me

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I wouId love to be in the middle of nowhere (like I am now), but I’m practical enough to look at bus routes and checking on line delivery’s are possible @reedysue. I’m not getting any younger and one day driving will not be an option ...

Last edited:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m going to have to work out how to use the levellers @Bikerbeth ... I’m on a slight hill, so one side of the van is slightly higher than the other. I’m sure there will be an App for that :p ?

As I’m solo, I’ll just have to bite my tongue and take the mick out of myself when I am the afternoons entertainment for failure in parking up.
(why does auto correct change “side” to “dude”????

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
But that is the fun of being on a site watching the others arrive and sometimes trying to park up.

Can't say we've watched poor campervan/motorhome parking but we have often entertained ourselves with poor tent pitching.

Kids are seasoned campers (our van was too small for all of us once 2 turned into 4) and so know how to put a tent up quickly and efficiently - although the kids do have pop up tents now - which don't take any time.

Watching families who don't camp regularly putting large family tents up is very entertaining.

I like living where we are now, less than half a mile from a small co-op supermarket, 10 min drive from the hospital, Cheshire Oaks outlet village and large cinema restaurant complex 1.5 miles away (kids can walk there and don't need lift) and half an hour by train to Liverpool and less than a mile from the motorway network but also less than a mile into open countryside, and using country lanes which are empty of cars into the midst of Cheshire or a bike path 2 mins from the door to north wales and the deserted hills. We can do city country and sea from here - lots of beaches within half an hour drive.