The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Isolated sounds perfect to me @Bikerbeth ... I’m not much for crowds these days. I might retake my bike test (licence is long lapsed) :p

Boston, Lincolnshire, looks interesting, but I’ll need to do some research on crime figures etc ... it’s such hard work

Last edited by a moderator:

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Isolated sounds perfect to me @Bikerbeth ... I’m not much for crowds these days. I might retake my bike test (licence is long lapsed) :p

Boston, Lincolnshire, looks interesting, but I’ll need to do some research on crime figures etc ... it’s such hard work
It would certainly keep you busy:D looking at the description

Wakky

Jan 5, 2020
My medical friends are telling me CM & meds don’t mix .., I’m ignoring them @Woohoo :D:D:D
Am fairly new here, so not read any of your posts before, but you write in an entertaining way! I can picture Poppet and Pooch and it has taken my minds of things for a short time. Thank you

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Sam that house looks like an awful lot of work, far too much for me to contemplate.

I would have to be looking for something pretty much as I want it, maybe a bit of cosmetic work, especially as you have poppet and your going to be touring in her etc.

Good luck with your search.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I get a good SIM only deal from Plusnet but am thinking is switching to Giffgaff as they sell reconditioned phones cheaply ( I need a new phone as I find the screen too small for my aging eyes! ) and you have to buy a bundle from them at the same time.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
One of my friends has moved to Lincs about 3 miles from the sea. They are 20 mins drive to Louth. They are pretty isolated. The house is perfect but the location is not so great. At least Boston is a market town & had lots going for it in that respect. But Lincs house prices are pretty cheap & you can get some real bargains if you are prepared to do them up.
I had lots of pros & cons lists when it came to buying. The house I’m living in won everytime. Apart from the kitchen/diner, everything else internally was just cosmetic.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
No idea of contours
Current flood alert
https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/warnings?location=PE21 8ES .

Map
2020-02-25_095949.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It would certainly keep you busy:D looking at the description

Ha ha. Yes, I’m looking for a “project”. Structurally sound wouId be good, but I’ll put in a new kitchen and bathroom, new windows and doors, re-wire, possibly new plumbing, then it’s mostly cosmetic ...

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Wakky, that’s given me a bit of a boost, I was thinking yesterday of how boring I am. I’m loving the peace and space I suddenly have, but it must seem pretty sedentary to anyone else.

Feel free to join in while I ramble on ... it helps me to talk about things, especially when the darker memories of mum come back, like they have this week

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’m really looking forward to finding a house I can pull apart and make beautiful, there’s something about ripping up rotten floorboards (it’s a great work out), then cleaning out the rubbish left and putting down clean, flat, non squeaking flooring .. the satisfaction when it’s finished is worth the pain @DianeW

I’ll get builders in for the stuff I can’t do, but poodle along with the stuff I can. The wonders of Poppet mean I can decide I need a break and drive off and leave the mess behind.

I’ve already designed parts of the kitchen I really want ... just need to find a house it will fit in :p

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Unfortunately Giffgaff don’t have good reception here, I’m out in the country, with lots of trees around, so I sometimes lose connection on the phone

I tend to buy my phone, if you look at the make you like and then find the “reconditioned” section on their web site, you can get some great deals. I’ve found a few on the bidding site, brand new, unused, for very good prices. Just check their star rating to make sure it’s a real sale @Lynmax

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’d love to be near the sea @Kikki21, I’m not bothered about isolation, in fact, I’d prefer it. I think life with mum got so full of people in and out, that I crave solitude now. Maybe that’s why I love living in this field lol.

My last house was a “project”. I spent nearly a decade gradually doing it up, I could take out my frustrations of office politics on rotten floorboards or weeds. This time it will be different, without the office politics to fight, but I have a dream of creating some peaceful space I can just live in, if that makes sense

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve been off line as it was too wet and cold to take advantage of the free WiFi and I couldn’t keep signal on my phone, never mind the MiFi.

Pooch and I have snuggled with a book or DVD and waited for breaks in the downpours so we can trudge up the hill. Pooch has enjoyed the lapdog snuggles .... I’ve had dead legs and guilt as I’ve tried to ease him off me. Bless him

Unfortunately, it’s also meant I’ve had plenty of time to think. For some reason I can’t explain, this last week had been full of sudden memories of mum. All of them have been those last few weeks and they are not memories I want to visit. It’s almost like flashback. I’m suddenly back in the room, looking at mum struggling not to shout with the pain of getting out of bed. I need a distraction. I need another focus.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you put your postcode in https://www.mastdata.com/ (no need to join for a simple search) you will get a map of masts and clicking on them will show which providers they carry, smaller providers use one of the main providers and are not shown.
You can then decide which mast could be best taking into account you really need a line of sight.
Note that when it comes to MiFi you may be more interested in the bandwidth available than the strength of the signal.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Sorry to hear that the sad memories have descended on you @Sam Luvit I guess they decided to creep in because you had ‘stopped’ but please ignore me if I am talking rubbish.
I must admit I also like doing a house up. My first partner was a builder and unfortunately (for other reasons as well) died just after we had brought a house to do up. I was lucky that he had put in central heating and new wiring but no useable bathroom and a kitchen with a sink fitted in and a piece of wood balanced on top of a cooker. I survived that so just carried on each time I moved house. Redecorating lounge after building work at the moment but I must admit I am finding it tougher going (OH unfortunately unable to help)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @nitram , I’ve ended up taking a data only sim with my present phone contract ... four years of not working has messed up my credit rating so I didn’t have a lot of options. I’m back on line, I can be on here and I’ve even discovered iPlayer and watched a few episodes of Casuality (perhaps not the best choice as it’s all about Duffy and dementia)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Sorry to hear that the sad memories have descended on you @Sam Luvit I guess they decided to creep in because you had ‘stopped’ but please ignore me if I am talking rubbish.

You are spot on @Bikerbeth, when we stop ... the memories crowd in. It’s why so many people throw themselves into work. It’s easier than dealing with the pain.

I usually give myself a “job” to do each day. It’s a focus. Something to stop me wallowing. I lose myself in a book, then get physical with sorting through boxes or walking Pooch (we are both losing a few pounds!)

My last house was a project, the bathroom and kitchen went in the skip on day one (I drove to the local supermarket to use their facilities). I had a kitchen sink that rocked as the unit was barely held together. I bought two basic base units and balanced a length of work surface across them. That was my kitchen for about a year. My budget for my kitchen became a new roof ... I had to save up before I could get the kitchen.

If I get up your way ... I’ll borrow your drive and in return ... you can hand me a paintbrush.