The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Great to hear you got poppet on site smoothly , and pooch seems to be enjoying his new bed ☺. Hope the weather is kind to you .

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Great to hear that things seem to be working out well for you.
Hope storm Dennis doesn't give you too much trouble!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s good to finally be setting up Poppet @Woohoo, I’ve put up the table today, which will give me somewhere to eat and start the house hunting properly

Its poured down on and off today.

we are expecting gusts of up to 60mph Saturday evening through to Sunday afternoon. It’s going to test Poppet. I think I’m going to plan a duvet day lol

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Lovely to hear that you got moved in ok, I think you did really well, and the driving will get easier as you gain experience.......

I bet pooch was wondering what was happening, but as long as he’s with you he is a happy boy.

I’m sure you will get organised, I know when we moved into our mobile home we had a struggle at first but eventually found a place for everything, but organisation is the key.

Hope your arm is getting better, although all the fetching and carrying you’ve had to do can’t of helped it!!

I hope old poppet goes tomorrow as I can imagine the site are eager for it to be gone, plus it’s another job done then too..

I think you’ve done really well and made the best you could out of a difficult situation, but it can’t be easy living in such a small space, I definitely couldn’t do it, but I know you’ve said your very happy there, and it sounds lovely.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think you’ve done really well and made the best you could out of a difficult situation ..

Today I need to empty the car (I filled it with the last of the things out of “old Poppet”). Then I’m going to clear out anything I don’t need with me right now and move it to storage .. or that’s the plan @DianeW, but we all know plans don’t always turn out as we expect, so I’m not going to stress over it

I did think as I was driving Poppet back to site that it might take a while before I enjoy driving her, but at least I’m not as scared of doing it as I was. More practice required!

Pooch was not happy on Wednesday, I left him with a friend, moved my car out the way and walked up the hill to catch my lift. Pooch then got to see old Poppet being towed off up the hill. Apparently he got quite upset at that. He was completely beside himself when I picked him up. He’s settled well since then, presently stretched out beside me snoozing .. with the occasional kick to remind me to scratch his back lol

I definately need to find a place for everything and put everything in its place. Miniature living requires discipline and no mess ... says she looking around at the mess! It is slowly getting organised ... honest!

My shoulder improves each day. I can get my arm much higher without wanting to scream, so hair washing no longer means touching my toes in the shower lol. I’ve been favouring it, as you do, so hopefully not caused any more damage with all the running around

Old Poppet left last night. It was strange watching her go ... sort of sad, but also a relief that one more job has been completed. No comment from the site ... they were quick enough to be knocking on the door first thing yesterday to ask when she wouId be gone. ... oh well ... I’ll just move on from that .. not worth getting upset

I think moving back into a house is going to feel very strange ... all that space. I’m going to feel like I’m rattling around with echos lol. I might even keep the “no clutter” going. I think I should. After the trauma of clearing out mums house, I don’t want that for my kids. This has been an experience, living in a field!! However, it wasn’t a choice I’d carefully planned for, but it has opened my eyes to alternatives. It sure gets rid of the cold callers .. they tend to apologise then say goodbye, when I tell them I’m technically homeless, which I guess I am, but hey ho, it’s not so bad

I am happy here, it is beautiful sitting looking at the large green field and ambling up and down the hill with Pooch. Everyone is in holiday mode, relaxed and smiling and friendly. Fortunately I’m very practical, so it’s been interesting rather than scary

Thank you, that means a lot :)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I do feel pretty pleased with myself @Kikki21 , although there is still a lot to do

Storm Dennis is still heading our way, tomorrow will be interesting as he throws a tantrum late afternoon. The ground is so wet that the pegs are not going to do much, hence the storm strap being very well pegged.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I do feel pretty pleased with myself @Kikki21 , although there is still a lot to do

Storm Dennis is still heading our way, tomorrow will be interesting as he throws a tantrum late afternoon. The ground is so wet that the pegs are not going to do much, hence the storm strap being very well pegged.

Hang tight, you & Pooch! He sounds a fantastic dog & very devoted to you. I actually checked the forecast & it looks like we will be very windy.
My future sister in law decided that she must go away this weekend at all costs & has headed off to the NE in their motor home. I’m not sure about that wisdom to go off this weekend when everyone looks like they will be battening down the hatches! Stay safe!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Ha ha @Kikki21 Pooch loved anyone who will give him a bit of fuss, he’s a total tart lol

I don’t think Dennis is expected to be as vicious as C was ... but we shall see. It’s the awning that gives me pause .. it’s a bit like a sail on a boat .. I’m just hoping it doesn’t take off!!

That’s the great thing about a Motorhome. You can go where you want to, be out in the storm and the wonder of nature! Your future SIL is probably much more experienced than I am and will be quite safe and warm

I’m planning on sitting inside while sorting through some things, while Dennis has his tantrum

I managed to do a lot of swooping around today. The car is now loaded ready to drop things at the garage for storage. I’m getting there!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
?‍♀️ Hi @Sam Luvit ! ? The backlash of Storm Denis is here for today and tomorrow. So far, it's very dark and quite windy, but tbh, we've had a lot worse. Of course, I may eat those words later!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @LadyA

Dennis is grumbling a little, but the tantrum is due this afternoon :oops: , this will a test for Poppet .. also I’ve rejigged the awning, so it should be better tied down.
It’s just a bit overcast, but the wind is bitter ?, Pooch’s early morning walk was more of a trot than an amble

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Storm Dennis is a right pain. I’d put things a bit closer to the edge of the awning and his gusting blows sent it crashing down. All my hard work in sorting became a tangle of stuff in the middle, at one stage I could barely open the door, I had visions of having to “phone a friend” to come clear it so I could get out. However, by sitting on the step and reaching one hand through the gap I was able to move enough to get the door open. Naturally, Pooch wanted to help!

It’s rained a lot today and I don’t believe Ventusky, as it says the gusts are much lower than they were last week. We had gusts of 77mph last week and it’s telling me they are only 44mph today. It sure sounds worse.

Anyway. I figured I’d ignore him as much as possible. I’ve done some baking! I’ve made London Cheesecake and I have a lasagne cooking in the oven. Boy oh boy, cooking in such a tight space takes some doing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Well done on the baking, the cheesecake looks lovely. Sorry to hear the awning crashed down - hopefully all sorted now.

I suspect wind direction played a part in it feeling worse as it depends what's breaking it up before it hits you (eg hedges walls other buildings all break it up)

I'm sure @nitram will have an opinion

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Agree with @jugglingmum

Also how things are stacked, solid flat items can protect objects in the lee. netting cover well pegged down can help, a well secured wind shield will help - think of tougher version of those seen on a beach on a windy day.

You could email clerk@whether.com and ask when next storm in your area is due.

<weather.com does exist>

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Sorry, the awning stayed up, just the sides being buffered caused the things inside to be pushed over @jugglingmum I’ve sort of put it back in the right place, well, I can now move around without falling over spare food, boxes of paperwork etc

It does feel like the wind keeps changing direction, not much I can do as the pitches are in set places. Last week we moved cars across the front of awnings and vans, but the grass is so sodden, it’s probably not worth trying as I may not get the car off again That and the wind is mostly coming from the front of the van, so the car at the back won’t do much

I’ve just checked the weather again and it looks like we are in for lightening later.