The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
There's an android app to use a smartphone as a compass, neighbour uses it to find out which way Mecca is.
Places like hospitals in ethnic areas have arrows indicating Qibla on the ceilings.

Rain stopped, sun shining here, wind still blustery.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I hope you are surviving Ciara @Sam Luvit - it has been very windy here with lashing rain. Plenty of trees down & then they stopped running the trams & closing quite a few roads due to unsafe buildings!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
So far @Kikki21 I am surviving. It’s blowing a hoooly out there. I’m definitely reconsidering buying a drive away awning (as it sounds, you unclip & drive away, leaving the awning behind), in these winds I doubt it would be here on my return.

Pooch has snuggled on the bed, occasionally raising his head, but mostly ignoring it all. He’s not impressed when I take him out, no matter that he must have crossed legs, he has no desire to go out in the wind and rain

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I’m definitely reconsidering buying a drive away awning (as it sounds, you unclip & drive away, leaving the awning behind), in these winds I doubt it would be here on my return.

Don't be paranoid.
These 'once in a hundred year' events don't usually happen every other year or so!!!

<Food for thought in that statement>

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
But you get warning of storms normally so can be attached to awning with it strapped down when it is due to hit - we knew about this one for a good few days

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Thanks for the piccie of the storm strap.
Glad you and Pooch are managing and hope the power line is fixed soon.
Not too bad here just a bit gusty and patches of heavy rain. Branches down but no trees that I saw on the way to see Mum. Mum not happy that she could not go for walk today.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Don't be paranoid.
These 'once in a hundred year' events don't usually happen every other year or so!!!

<Food for thought in that statement>
Yes, but there was the gale in ‘87, another bad one a couple of years later. I know there have been a few more. This is my first time “out” in one and it’s pretty vicious

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I’ve been out of touch, what with no internet and no TV. Too busy sorting out paperwork and clearing out stuff to junk etc .. should be better in the future @jugglingmum

I do sort of check the weather and I do talk to everyone ... everyone talks about the weather .. which is why I knew about this coming.

TBH, with gusts over 75mph and worse expected I’m sitting here figuring how to reorganise to be able to take the awning down.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Rain eased slightly. Fortunate as for the first time since we got Pooch, he asked to go out !!! Still blowing hard, but at least we didn’t get wet @Bikerbeth

Still no power. I’m waiting for the leisure battery (like a back up battery), to run out. I’ve only one light on to try to eek it out. I have candles at the ready!

Now that Pooch is awake .. very awake after going out in that lol. He is now aware of the buffeting and is not at all happy. Some serious whining going on until he climbed on my lap. He’s settling again, bless him. I wish I was the all powerful, saving him from anything person, he seems to think I am.

I think it’s easing up a bit, but it’s supposed to get worse later. Wow that was a gust and a half just now. Pooch very upset by that one. I spoke too soon

One of the guys on the site came over and asked if I had power (nope) so he invited me over for coffee, then made dinner! How sweet is that?

Sorry your mum didn’t get her walk, but it’s not good out there. I wanted to go to the seafront and see what it’s like .. but making do with videos others have taken