The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
No harm in asking the garage to drive her in if that is the first drive. Is it far from where Poppet 11 is now to the garage.

Unfortunately it’s about 20 miles and they will need her for two days. If I can’t twist an arm, I’ll have to find out about buses, my brother uses them and says they are infrequent and blooming cold, not to mention, less than cheap.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It’s so nice to be able to sit in the warmth and get on-line. This router / dongle / mifi thingy is working out well for me

Tomorrow an old school friend is visiting. We’ve kept in touch very loosely since our school days, so meeting after so long will either be brilliant or awful. I’ve crossed my fingers that it will go well. However ... I’m now getting nervous about her visit.

I’ve given up the high stress, well paid, respectable career to care for mum, but I’ve turned my back on all that now. My friend on the other hand, is still in the high stress, well paid, respectable career. I’m living in a field (which I’m enjoying), but it’s hardly the Ritz. I’m almost hoping she can’t make it. I’m almost wishing it was next week, when I’d at least have Poppet v2

Why am I worrying about something so dumb???

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Why am I worrying about something so dumb???
If I knew the answer I would let you know.
Your friend will probably be amazed and wish she had the self confidence to do what you are doing and leave the cycle of a stressful job. If she does not wish that for herself then she will probably be glad that you are enjoying what you are doing.
If you have sorted out dongles/mifi etc taking Poppet v2 to the garage will be a doddle

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
If you have sorted out dongles/mifi etc taking Poppet v2 to the garage will be a doddle

I guess I just fear being judged, yet I’ve cut out people who judged me for quitting the ‘good job” to look after mum ... so why is this stressing me out? I’m being pathetic :rolleyes:

This place is good for my soul. I’d recommend it, but I don’t want it to get overcrowded. Obviously, Pooch helps, as he trots up to everyone and begs for attention. I hook him up outside the laundry, washing up area etc and he gets fussed by anyone passing ... to the extent that people now see him with me on the lead later on and say “oh ... he’s yours” :D:D

Once the dongle thingy was chosen and the network picked .. it was just plug n go. The garage drive will not be so simple ..

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Honestly, today just proved the point. We spend time stressing and worrying about stuff, when 80% of it will never happen.

My old school friend came to visit, as arranged, we had a great day. We’ve walked Pooch all over. We’ve talked incessantly. We went for a drive and I took a detour via the seafront and we walked along watching the waves while chatting. It was like we’d not had nearly half a decade apart. I even admitted to being a bit nervous of her seeing me ... living in a field in a 30+ year old van ... she said she thought I was incredibly brave.

I’ve bought a “storm strap”. We are expecting 80mph winds in the early hours if the morning ... mind you .. we are also expecting the heavens to open shortly .... no sign of that just yet

Dont worry about what might happen ... it might not

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
So glad you had a great day, isn’t that what makes us human, expecting things to be harder and then pleasantly surprised sometimes . Good luck weathering Ciara, Stay warm and safe .

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I've had a few experiences on camp sites of hastily emptying tents/gazebos and taking them down due to high winds in both Anglesey and France at 3 or 4 am - the latter in the middle of August. In France we were camped with friends so they turned up in PJs to help - kids small tents were ok but we saw many awnings ripped from motorhomes the next morning (4000 pitches on campsite). It was an open farmers field, if you have hedges separating pitches you will be better off.

If you can move stuff from awning to van overnight do it now and then you can move it back once storm has passed - all of England has an Amber wind warning.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The field has hedges & trees. I’m hopeful of it reducing the battering. We had 40mph winds a few weeks ago & I just got rocked to sleep. No idea what expected 80mph winds will feel like .. expected in early hours of the morning.
No room in the van to move anything from the awning. It’s
Just food & extras.ight go grab my towel ..
I just have to hope, but it’s just stuff, I won’t lose anything priceless
Pooch is with me, my photos are with me

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I was camped on a river bank at Llandysul during the gale of '87 - as we were due to do a canoe slalom the next day - don't think we had a lot of wind but there was a lot of rain, some tents were flooded and canoes washed away - OH and I slept through it.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I was camped on a river bank at Llandysul during the gale of '87 - as we were due to do a canoe slalom the next day - don't think we had a lot of wind but there was a lot of rain, some tents were flooded and canoes washed away - OH and I slept through it.

Lol. I slept through the whole thing, tried driving to work the next day and there were trees across the roads

No idea what was going on, had to go home and park, then walk to work

Everyone banging on about not getting any sleep & being so scared & I was like ... errrr what happened

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
So glad the day went well with old school friend.
What is a storm strap?

A storm strap is a long strap that goes over the roof of the awning and ties it down, not attached to anything other than the ground by very long pegs

It’s that windy I’m starting to wish I had a couple going over Poppet :eek:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
upload_2020-2-9_13-15-26.jpeg