The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Nothing secret about me @Kikki21 lol, well, apart from my @true” identity

I’ve struggled today ... so much I should be doing, but couldn’t motivate. It took everything I had to get in the car and drive off site

Of course, I do know why, but that doesn’t make anything about it any easier.

Today would have been mums 85th birthday

Two years ago, a couple of weeks after her stroke, I invited some of her friends round for tea n cake. I bought her a new top, even though it was two sizes smaller than she’d been wearing, it hung off her, so much weight had been lost.

I can still see her, sitting chatting, eating cake, her eyes telling me not to fuss. I can hear her laughing after I told everyone it was time to b**** o** ... well, there’s always one person who decides the time limit doesn’t apply to them, isn’t there?

It never occurred to me, on that day, that it would be her last birthday She’d been so fiesty up till then, walking Pooch twice a day, swigging her G&T’s, marching off to see her friends.

I’m not cross any more, but I am sad that we didn’t get more time. We should have had more time. Her incompetent GP messed up and she suffered unnecessary pain, it shouldn’t have happened, but it did.

I do wonder what she would think of my life now, would she support the job I’ve chosen to do, or would she tell me to go back to my old job, use the qualifications I worked so hard to get. I hope she’d be pleased. I wish I could talk to her about the people I see, the smiles I get, the feeling of making someone smile

So, not a great day, but a different day. I’m not going to waffle about time being a great healer blah blah blah ... just that things gradually feel different

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I seem to remember you posting about that birthday at the time because of the phrase you used to ‘persuade’ the guests to leave.
Hard day but seems you have some good memories too.
Hope you don’t mind if I send you some gentle virtual hugs

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yes @Bikerbeth there are some good memories, but it’s been one of those days when I’ve smiled, but then I’ve felt the tears coming .. then I’ve smiled again .. particularly at the looks on the faces as I “encouraged” them to leave

Thank you, I much appreciate the hugs.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I’m sure in time @Sam Luvit those icky feelings will ease & hey you are allowed a self care day. They are very important in the scheme of things.
I’ve had a funny old day myself!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
@Sam Luvit , I’m sure your mum would continue to be proud of you whatever you do. Time for you to do what makes your mind body and soul happy , well apart from the shoulder ;). Can’t wait to hear about your adventures in poppet 11. Big hugs to you and pooch . X

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yes, I’m sure it’s supposed to get easier or something. It’s dads birthday this week .. so I’m trying to just ride the feelings out @Kikki21

Hope your “funny old day” wasn’t a bad one

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Yes, I’m sure it’s supposed to get easier or something. It’s dads birthday this week .. so I’m trying to just ride the feelings out @Kikki21

Hope your “funny old day” wasn’t a bad one

I went to an auction house to sell more items. I’m hoping for good news tomorrow about a vintage gold, diamond & sapphire bracelet valuation plus a few years back I bought quite a few cut gemstones as I wanted to undertake a jewellery project. Sadly it never took off but these gem stones are pretty valuable so let’s hope for that good news tomorrow!
Unfortunately my boyfriend is in the wars & has bursitis of the knee joint. It means 2 weeks rest & he is off work although rest & him don’t go well together! He just woke up with it like that!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I really do love my job, making someone laugh is the best feeling. I get so much more than money out of it @Woohoo

The shoulder is gradually improving, not there yet, but in the mend

There is a part of me that’s more than a bit worried about actually driving Poppet 11, but I’m going to have to take my courage in both hands and get on with it. I know that after the first ten miles or so, I’ll be ok, it’s just the thought of that first mile that’s giving me pause

I must get house hunting .. it’s just so hard. Too much choice really is making it a difficult decision

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Sam I used to work with someone who had a motor home, and when she split from her husband she kept it and had to force herself to drive it at first, but before long her and her dog were going all over the place.

She stayed in UK, but even went away at Christmas, spent it on her own in Wales on a site by the sea.

I’m sure you will get the hang of it and get your confidence once you get out on the road.....enjoy.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm presuming Poppet 11 is quite big.

the advantage of large vehicles is they have lots of mirrors which makes driving them easier than a car in some ways.

I'm guessing Poppet is bigger than what I drive anyway let alone Poppet11. I used to get really stressed driving our red van, motorways are fine (actually first drove it on a French motorway at 4am) but parking it on our drive took me a while as you have to reverse it in, with our VWT4 on one side and our car parked on the road opposite the drive.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Sam Luvit
I know the feeling of being nervous in a big new vehicle. Several years ago I had a horsebox built on a 7.5 ton Ford Cargo and it was 8ft wide and quite high, the first time I drove it I kept pulling my elbows in when the road was narrow and ducking under bridges. You will be surprised at how quickly you get used to driving it, in the end I drove it towing a trailer with 2 carriages.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Sam Luvit - congrats on Poppet Mk2, happy travels and God bless all who sail in her (or something like that ... you get my gist ..... the attached is probably more appropriate)

Hope the shoulder is improving.
X

Attachments

• 6e2c9f341c785b41c223e82b522e62a2.png
    6e2c9f341c785b41c223e82b522e62a2.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 409

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Kikki21

Did you get good news on the auction items? I’ve been “off line” due to internet issues, so onky just got back .. sorry

Burstitis ... I’ll have to look that one up .. sounds less than pleasant, hope he rests

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Im sure I’ll be fine once I’ve driven her once or twice @DianeW ... it’s just the thought of it ... she looks soooooo big, but I know she isn’t really

I’m quiet happy to drive a car all over the country, so I’m sure I’ll get over my hesitation

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Poppet and Poppet 11 are pretty much the same footprint size, @jugglingmum , based on a MWB, but she looks big and the thing I’ve always struggled with a van of any kind, is the lack of windows you can look out of. It just feels like you can’t see anything, even though the mirrors and height actually mean you can see much more.

Motorways are easier than town driving, first time I drove a minibus was on a motorway (the driver was too tired and I was the only person legal to drive ... also the only female ), once I’d driven fir five minutes I was fine

I’m not looking forward to parking her, especially as everyone watches as a new van arrives on site. I’m not sure if it wouId be easier with someone to “guide” me, or without the “back seat driver” ...

I don’t envy you reversing next to one vehicle, while avoiding another ...

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @reedysue

Poppet is 18’ long, by 9.25’ height by 7.25’ wide. Not small, but not as big as yours! I know what you mean about ducking under bridges, I was always doing that ....

I was driving a tiny car, but moved on the a more robust comfy for travel one and I was forever “breathing in” as I passed parked cars!!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
<pedant mode>
Should Poppet 11 be Poppet II?
Or are there really 11 Poppets to consider?
</pedant mode>