The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Fingers crossed I get Poppet 11 by the end of the month, for now, I’m nervous of overloading the electrics in Poppet 1, but I may be looking at lots of gadgets in February

I’d be more than happy to be cooked for ... you did make me laugh with that idea

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
I couldn’t find them anywhere, someone really wanted one, so I found a recipe and made them @reedysue

Ready made already rolled puff pastry
Cut into 8 or 16 if you want smaller ones
Put 8 on a baking tray
Spread a very thin layer of jam
Put the other 8 on top, forming a sandwich
Cook as per instructions
Check bottom is cooked
Cool
Spread with glacé icing & sprinkle with desiccated coconut or flaked coconut

I’ve since been told Greggs do them, but don't call them London Cheesecake

Thanks, I will give it a try, the ones Nan used to get had thick coconut strips on top, I have just looked and can get them from Holland & Barratt.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
A word of warning .... just be really careful about the longevity of Park Homes. Many sites will want you to upgrade and buy a new 'Home' in 10/15 years - despite what they say initially.
One of my rental tenants was elderly and it happened to him and his wife. It all got quite nasty and they ended up renting a house of mine ..... along with their pug! (Have to say my normal response is 'No pets' but he was so sweet and they were so lovely, they just paid a hefty damage deposit and all was fine).

Yummy @Sam Luvit - those cakes are a total blast from the past of my Essex upbringing!
Sorry about the shoulder, hope you see some improvement soon ...... and I can vouch for the frozen onions!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I am surprised you can’t find any landlord who will take pets @Sam Luvit
My policy is to accept pets but charge an extra £10 a month. There is always some pet-related expense whether it’s cleaning or replacing the stair carpet a cat scratched up!

In my experience tenants will have pets whether or not the landlord agrees

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I looked at a few @Kikki21 and they are lovely. Even the cheap ones are nice. The layout is clever and uses every bit of space. I went to three sites, big named ones, but they were too close together for me. I think you need to pick a site as much as the van

Most of the sites do their own finance, it’s pretty close to the bank rates. Buying through the site often gets you a years free site fees (anything from £2,500 upwards). Do look at what the site fees cover, some include electric, some don’t). They are not open all year, but when I was looking, I figured I’d just go on holiday for the 2 or 4 weeks they were shut

Sam......I don’t know if your taking about the park homes I am meaning....as they are always on 12 month sites as they are classified as permanent homes, they are more like a bungalow....not like a static caravan some of them are 12 months but others not.

I have lived on a residential caravan site that was 12 months but it was very different than a park home site, even though people were there most of the year.

The park home site I now live on, you just pay fees to site which includes water rates here, all other bills council tax, gas, electricity etc you pay separately.

When they are sold the site has nothing to do with the sale except that the new owner has to sign a site agreement to abide by rules, ie parking, visitors, noise etc. The actual park home is sold via an estate agent, the only people I know who have purchased have bought outright so no mortgage needed.

I’m no expert but can only advise on my experience of park homes and sites.

I took the dog out this morning (we have a woodland walking area) and had a good look, and some plots are really big and have enclosed gardens at the back, sheds, and driveways at the side so private......some park homes are single width 12-14ft others are double units..... there is an absolutely gorgeous one, goodness knows how much thought as it’s very high end specification.
Also one just sold right by us and we watched them prepare the site and site the home, big double and it sold for £185.000, was bought outright by a seemingly nice retired couple, who have sold their house and downsized.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have heard rumours about having to upgrade on park hone sites @Toony Oony, but
Not been able to confirm that, so thanks for the “heads up”

The people next to me here were evicted for getting a puppy. He’s quiet. He’s very sweet. They’ve been looking for a rental since July with no luck. I was told by one agent “if” they could find anything, it was an additional 6 weeks rent as deposit & £10-£30 extra on the weekly rent. Ouch

I might be driving in a month or less

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Ive been for the assessment. Not sure how I feel about it, but .. either they were right last week & wrong today ... or visa versa

Today they “don’t THINK it’s broken ..”. I’m not happy it’s only a “think”

Some medicalise which basically translated into bits of calcified bone from the OA stuck in my tendons :eek:

I had a steroid injection, I’m to try moving the shoulder & it should improve an a few weeks. The implication was if it doesn’t improve then maybe it is broken :rolleyes: Wow.

I’m off for another 2 weeks and I can try driving when it doesn’t hurt so much :confused:

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I registered with 5 agencies in town and looked on line @Bunpoots .. several months and nothing. I had to make the decision about where I could live .. so here I am

Pooch is quiet, he just sleeps all the time. He will find a lap, or comfy chair and snuggle. Pets and people spill things, so I have a good carpet shampooer, but I accept not everyone will sort out damages

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The park homes I looked at were classed as second homes and in order to not pay C Tax you couldn’t live there all year round @DianeW

The ones I’ve seen have a mixture of static caravans (£12k), larger static caravan (£30k) and almost bungalows (£100k+). Very nice, I loved them, but it was the lack of space between them I didn’t like

I love the idea of the park sites, but I think the ability to move around is going to work better for me. Also the site I’m on has a single row either side if the “road” through the site, so it’s very spaced out. No clubhouse or entertainment, so it’s like camping, but with better accommodation. They have a section of static caravan, but they are only open 8 months of the year

I looked at places in nationwide companies for example. They are more holiday parks and too busy for me

I’ve not seen anything like you describe, but I did give up on the idea so didn’t carry on looking

Yours sounds lovely

Last edited:

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Ive been for the assessment. Not sure how I feel about it, but .. either they were right last week & wrong today ... or visa versa

Today they “don’t THINK it’s broken ..”. I’m not happy it’s only a “think”

Some medicalise which basically translated into bits of calcified bone from the OA stuck in my tendons :eek:

I had a steroid injection, I’m to try moving the shoulder & it should improve an a few weeks. The implication was if it doesn’t improve then maybe it is broken :rolleyes: Wow.

I’m off for another 2 weeks and I can try driving when it doesn’t hurt so much :confused:
Well that’s a flexible approach ;) it may be broken it may not . You may need an op you may not , did they not x Ray it ? I guess it will be better /easier / quicker recovery if it’s not broken . Need @Palerider ’s extensive knowledge here . I have a touring caravan , I like the freedom of being able to up and go when it suits us , friends live in a park , they did have to move out for 8 weeks a year but now they are able to stay all year. My only concern is they are in their early 70’s and have invested all their money in their lovely big bungalow type static and spent the rest , what happens if company decides to sell the park for housing , where on earth will they go, seem to be at the will of businessman.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Unfortunately the hospital has been in special measures for a few years now, still making mistake after mistake. A friend nearly died before Christmas as they didn’t follow procedure after an Op and she developed sepsis ... so I don’t exactly trust them

I’ve heard horror stories about park homes that have to be replaced if they get too old etc, but it was just rumour ...

I’m happy to buy a newer motorhome and use it for a few years, but can’t see me still living this life in twenty years, hence looking at bricks & mortar for the long term

Right now I just want to enjoy the simple life ... it’ll be simpler if my shoulder lets me get some sleep :rolleyes:

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
No wonder you have little faith in the hospital , How sad and shocking . :eek:

sounds a good plan, time out and a chance to rest and reevaluate . Hope the shoulder pain eases to allow sleep and aid recovery . Whilst you are awake I can imagine pooch is soundo. :D

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Its always worth asking @Sam Luvit. My add in the agency says No Pets but I’ll usually accept one if asked. People who I know will sneak a pet in anyway (or 5 in the case of my next door neighbours :eek:) but maybe people are naughtier up here :rolleyes:

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
@Sam Luvit
When we first moved to Scotland we rented with a dog, the agency did not mention pets but we had a choice of several houses which would allow them when asked. Also, bear in mind that if you are going to buy prices will continue to rise so don't leave it too long.

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I rented out my former house for some time & obviously the cats had lived in it & I would have accepted pets but the people renting added a cat in & didn’t say anything which was a bit cheeky. It is a real grind of mine where rental adverts don’t state anything about pets & you think that’s nice, enquire about it, to find they won’t accept pets! ‍♀️ So @Sam Luvit there must be some tough landlords in your part of the world.
The Park Homes I have looked at are all year round residency, the ground rent does include water rates. Like you, I would worry they are a bit close together than I would like a garden for the cats that is enclosed but we also plan on getting a pug.,... I know they are designed for people that are older. Or you can buy a new home to put on a park site if there is a vacant plot. We have signified interest so the next thing would be to take a look on a site & see what it is really like.
The hospital stuff sounds about right in terms of hedging their bets about your shoulder! I hope you aren’t in too much pain with it all!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Hi @Sam Luvit not read back yet. Life is do busy.

In my experience if it is a potential fracture they use the word think. X rays aren't perfect and are difficult to read. OH came off his mountain bike and landed heavily on his shoulder over 20 years ago. A & E said it might be broken and to go back a week later. On second visit they thought it wasn't . Unless an op needed treatment is the same anyway. He was told with shoulders they often don't show as broken on first xray and with movement the bones move apart hence should be visible on second visit.

Was away with a consultant radiologist at the weekend and he was explaining how hard it is even with years of experience to spot certain types of fractures from an xray and hence he refuses to do them in some cases. Not a cost issue but the exposure to the radiation isn't worth it.