The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Sam have you thought about buying a park home??? They are more like a bungalow than a static caravan , much better insulated and can be cheaper.

I live on a park home site but in an apartment, and it is lovely and has a lovely community feeling.

I don’t know any areas you mention as I’m from up north so can’t advise, but if you want a cheapish home I have seen some lovely park homes 2 beds, on nice garden plots, for various prices £35k upward.....

They tend to be sold via estate agents and not the site itself.

Hope your managing to cope with your injury....

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
DianeW has a good point, Sam. Mum lived in a park home. I was a bit sniffy when she said she was moving there, but it really wasn't a 'shed in a field'. Hers was brand new, made t her exact specs, had 2 beds, 2 shower rooms and a huge loft great for storage. Size-wise it was actually bigger than my 2 bed semi!

Another thing to mention is they are blissfully easy to buy and sell, as we found when mum went in a CH. A park home is not considered to be a property as such, just a possession you can sell like a car or caravan.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Hi @Palerider

You know how it is, after entering the world of Alz ... nothing can seem beyond us .. we’ve faced the worst and we survive

I might have thought about living in a tin can, but doubt I’d have taken the actual jump. This meant I had to, so it was more necessity than bravery :rolleyes: I’m loving it. It’s perfect after the years of stress :D

I have a couple of distant friends (once close friends) who have sold their house and invested in a decent mobile home/camper and they love it. They have a small car towed on the back so they can go to work. They drive round different parks they like and park up for a while before deciding where to go next. They felt that a home is a transient place for a family and people get too attached to the traditional idea of home. So far it seems to working for them and you too until you find your place to settle. Not sure if it is for me, but I have known people to sell up and live in a van

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Sam Luvit
When I joined TP in January 2019 I followed your thread about caring for your mum and often wondered how you were getting on without her and with being a carer, so it's good to hear your update.
Despite hurting your arm and problems with the house sale, it sounds like your in a good place.
A year ago I was struggling to support my sister in caring for my mum (How can I help?) and found lots of support and advice from TP and reading what people have been through.
Mum is now in a care home (settling really well), and we feel a weight lifted from practical caring, tho still lots to do and a house sale to start.... hope we don't have the problems you did.
Hope your arm heals soon and I look forward to reading about more of your antics!!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @reedysue

For some reason, I always seem to trip over my feet when I’m tired. I should know by now, but I never learn and Pooch can be a bit of a nightmare when he gets excited lol

Never heard of those, I’ll have to look them up. I’m in boring trainers for now, but at least it’s not far to fall and I can’t wear “proper” shoes

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Palerider

I know people who have Motorhome / Campervan / Caravan, who go away every weekend and spend all their holidays in them. Some drive around, some set up in March in one place and finish in October. That is not for me. I’m very happy here, for now, but I do want a house, with a massive kitchen and a garden. I want a base that I can go back to, where I might be visited, but where I go visit from

There are things I miss, not a lot, but .... I want to do some research, but I can’t spread out on a table, so it’s a struggle. I’ve yet to sort out internet access ... it’s a bit cold coming up to reception to log in

On the whole ... this is perfect for now

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
And you really are having adventures @Sam Luvit & yes I agree about the time out for you factor. I have decided that I want to sell one of my businesses so I get some breathing space to go on holiday, reinvest in 2 other businesses & generally just live once my nightmare is over with the executor from hell. Luckily, I am no longer in rent hell as I know how difficult it was & is to rent with pets. No worries about that anymore.
Your Poppet life sounds good apart from the broken arm & hopefully Poppet 2 will be a lot better for you & luckier - hope the CM helps in lots of ways!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @anxious annie

I hope my ramblings helped you, it was my safe place to vent, my place to muse over what my life had become and somewhere to chat without being judged

I am in a good place. I go at my own pace. I’ve read so many books. I’ve walked and snuggled with Pooch. I’m doing a job that feels more like popping in to see friends. I’m using the tricks I learnt from mum to get people to eat and drink. It feels like I make a difference ... how can it not, when you walk into a room and the person beams at you saying “I’m so glad it’s you”

It’s good that your mum is settling in well. You don’t stop caring, just care in a different way. Still plenty to sort out, but now you can visit as her daughter, rather than Carer

Good luck with the house sale, if you pack everything away, clear it completely and then put it on the market, it should be less rushed. Apparently the average selling time has increased from three to four months

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @DianeW

I did look at park homes originally, but the ones down here are very cramped, the homes themselves are lovely, but they are squashed together so tightly that I actually felt claustrophobic walking around, then I’ve found myself in this situation and I think it suits me perfectly. I can move on if I want to, or stay put. It’s a small family run place, so it’s not very busy, but I expect that will change from March as the “season holders” return

Im managing to pour the CM :p

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
Hi @DianeW

I did look at park homes originally, but the ones down here are very cramped, the homes themselves are lovely, but they are squashed together so tightly that I actually felt claustrophobic walking around, then I’ve found myself in this situation and I think it suits me perfectly. I can move on if I want to, or stay put. It’s a small family run place, so it’s not very busy, but I expect that will change from March as the “season holders” return

Im managing to pour the CM :p
Great I hope you get somewhere suitable, and you have your Poppet 2 for now.

I just thought I’d mention park homes as a cheaper option, but I realise not for everyone, I have too seen some sites that have the homes crammed close, but others are on good plots with lovely gardens and drives etc.

Myself personally I would definitely consider a park home if I was looking to purchase again.

Enjoy your CM....me I’ve got a lovely pink gin with elderflower tonic, and loads of ice...cheers.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hi @love.dad.but..

Good to see you. I always think of standing outside Argos with a lamp trying to work out which person would be you. Must do it again one day :p

CM is being taken “for medicinal purposes” :D:D

When I find somewhere to buy, I’m going to leave the country and sit on a beach, not returning till it’s all done ... or that’s my plan :rolleyes: I have no desire to go through that again. When I bought my house, I sat with the sellers drinking coffee and chatting till nearly 5pm. No stress. No tantrums. Just adults waiting for the paperwork to catch up ;)
Haha and carrying...what were they I can't remember..cabinets?.. to our coffee destination! Another 6 weeks and warmer days will start arriving and lighter evenings will make your stay easier. Take care...glad Pooch is keeping you warm and vice versa.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Kikki21

We went at this “hell for leather”, fought battles we couldn’t win, kept on going when our reserves were dry ... then the world stopped .. nothing to be done... it’s not a brave new world, it’s just a blooming strange one

That’s how I feel at any rate. I’ve no doubt some will look at me living in Poppet and not understand. That’s their issue not mine. One friend understands .. she said I’m a different person .. I’m the Sam I used to be, but better!

CM always help! Pooch helps too!