The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think my dreams have changed, as I suspect have many @canary

I used to dream of having time. I think that dream is still there, but it’s on hold for the time being (no pun intended)

Hope you are coping as well as possibly in these trying times

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Spamar

When things calm down again, I hope to travel about, although in a different way to my original plan. I might even get up to see you and go for one of those walks.

Sorry to hear you are struggling, hope things improve for you soon.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hope you are coping as well as possibly in these trying times
Yes, OK, thank you Sam.
OH is in decline and he now has carers coming to help him wash, dress etc, but its working well and I think we both look forward to seeing them. Having carers in has been a revaluation to me - it has made so much difference. What you do is really important, Sam. An unsung hero ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I think we are entitled to be a bit nosey @DianeW , after all, we do tend to reveal our inner most thoughts and fears in here. Ask away ?

I’d like slightly less hours, but I do love the job, so it’s not a massive issue, especially as I can’t really do much else right now. I have flirted with the idea of going private, but I also like variety ... it’s a conundrum to be sure.

I am looking around for a much smaller house than before, with the idea of giving it a basic facelift and renting it out. This wouId help with finances and keep me on the property ladder

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I moved in over the last week :eek: I worked five of the seven days ? @Jaded'n'faded

Pooch is making friends, while I am finding places to put things. It’s a bit like Christmas, as I unpack boxes I packed nearly two years ago.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Gosh, as long ago as that. I can’t do any work at the moment and very boring it is too, especially with everything going on - or not as the case may be!
I suppose one day I might lose enough weight so they will operate on my knee, but weight loss is practically non existent at the moment. They can either operate now so I can lose weight or not operate. That means no exercise, no weight loss.
That’s life!
But you and Pooch welcome anytime.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @nita

I have no problem helping out big brother, he helped me in the months before we managed to sell mums house. What I object to, is the side effect is helping the SIL.

The last time I drastically reduced my hours ... the agency retaliated by reducing them either further Not even I want seven hours a week over four days!! They don’t play fair

It feels like this has been our lives forever. we have been very lucky down south. The numbers are incredibly low.

Personally I know of two who have had the virus. A friend of a client died, while a friend of mine survived. Big brother knows three who have survived .. all suffering long term effects

My fellow carers are paranoid and vigilant in cleanliness. We scrub hands and faces. We strip on arrival at our homes, putting everything in the washing machine and ourselves in showers. We wipe our clients homes where we can. We do everything we can think of to keep them and us safe. Fingers crossed our methods keep us safe

These are strange times ;)

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Bikerbeth

I know what you mean lol. I think the life / work balance may take a while to get right. I’ve stayed with the original agency, the other wouIdnt accept me continuing with the first agency while working for them. I needed to keep with them so I could see my lovely man. I’ve promised him I will not leave him

I miss baby girl. This was supposed to be my chance to build new ties. Unfortunately it was not to be. One day I will get the chance to get to know her. I actually find video calls upsetting. Phone calls with youngest and photos are easier to handle.

Pooch is settling into his new home. This is his fourth home and sixth location since he came to live with mum and I.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @jugglingmum

Its good to see you again. I guess we have all been caught up in trying to live through this by whatever means we can

I know that one day things will get better. We will be able to spend time with family and friends. In the meantime, we can only do the best we can

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It has been a good option @DianeW I wasn’t sure, but looked at options and when I walked round the back of this one ... it felt like peace. I had tears in my eyes and knew it was the right thing to do

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I remember a feeling of relief once the carers were coming in @canary Personally, I walked out the door as they walked in. It was 45 minutes in the morning that was mine.

I had six who changed my life. They were kind to me as well as looking after mum. I hope you have carers who look after you as well as your OH. It’s supposed to be about the both of you

Thank you, but I probably get more out of doing this job than you can imagine. I’m no hero. I love it, it feels amazing to walk out leaving someone smiling

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I have walked myself fit over this last two years. It’s hurt like crazy at times. I’ve looked in the mirror and seen no difference.
Then last week I climbed on the scales expecting gain not loss, yet I have actually lost so much. I’m starting to believe the weight really has been dropping off. The scales tell me I’ve lost over 2 stone since mum died.

I hope to visit one day ... looking forward to calling you to “put the kettle on” o_O

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Its good to see you again. I guess we have all been caught up in trying to live through this by whatever means we can

When dau was home she did very little chores - which all falls on me - mountains of washing generated, lots of extra plates growing in piles in her room - so when she went back to uni house I had loads of time to catch up. She thinks we are unreasonable in asking she helps out - so Irish tempers flying as well!

Son worked hard with school work but needed lots of support, and turned back garden into mini allotment which also needed alot of help - big time drains on both of us.

And I was ill at the start of April, which has taken a looooong time to recover from. (loss of taste and smell - sense of smell not fully returned).

Some limited posts on my 'sandwich generation' thread - part way through an update but can't seem to finish it.

Your new home sounds lovely, and perfect for pooch as well. Home is where the heart is, pooches heart is with you, so he'll be happy where ever you are.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
As long as your not overdoing it work wise and still have the time needed for pooch, that’s all that matters...work life balance is very important I think.

I’m glad your both settling in to your new home, have I read correctly that you are still looking to buy a house too and do it up and rent it...or have I read it wrong?

Sam I think it sounds like you and the people you care for all gain from the relationships......

I live in the north and we are on lockdown as our area is high risk.....my behaviour hasn’t changed as since this started we have followed the rules and kept a distance from people....if only everyone had done the same we may not be in this position??

Oh well off to bed for me...I’m such a night ?!!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Lol @jugglingmum .. your daughter sounds like my eldest. Couldn’t see why he should put his shoes on the shoe rack so I didn’t trip over them etc. He then spent a year in a “hostel” where he was in a rota of chores, that if he didn’t do them could mean he would be kicked out :eek: Suddenly he realised that my rules weren’t that bad. I hope the Uni experience has positive effects on your bundle of trouble.

Sorry to hear you have been unwell. Hope you recover soon. There are a few smells we can all live without, but I understand you miss the smell of fresh cut grass and roses. Hopefully it will return with time.

I must catch up with my reading. When I’m unpacked etc I will have more time. I think time is not on anyone’s side right now.

My new home is perfect for me right now. It’s quiet and peaceful. Right now it’s messy, but Pooch doesn’t care. He snuggles with me on the sofa and cuddles in bed. He seems settled. He’s generally asleep when I get back from work, he tends to stagger off the sofa as I walk up the path. I guess he’s settling ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I wouId love to just work three evenings a week, just the minimum to cover the bills and have the other days and nights to poodle about, read, research, spend time with friends @DianeW However, I want to see my special man every day, I want to see a very special lady who believes I’m her dead sister, I want to help the lady who says she’s so glad it’s me, through her tears. So, I will work whatever days n hours to do that. If the work / life balance gets seriously out of kilter I will re-evaluate what’s important.

You read that right. I am looking for a two or three bed terrace to buy and basically do up to rent out. Nothing special. No big kitchen. No amazing garden. Just a simple house that I can rent to cover some of my bills, while keeping me on the property ladder in case I want to go back to conventional living one day.

I like to think I make a difference to at least some of those I see each week. That’s enough for me.

I have friends and relatives in the north. I do worry about them. Many are of an age where they are high risk. All I can do is hope. I wish everyone would follow the rules instead of trying to find ways round them.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Your lifestyle (apart from a bit too much work) sounds great for you now. Good idea to get somewhere to rent out to keep your foot on the property ladder., though. Enjoy it, and the very special people you care for.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
I’m pleased for you that you’ve found somewhere and that you enjoy the job and people you care for, it’s very easy to get attached to certain people.

Once spring comes around I’m sure you will enjoy where you live even more, the sun brings people out and you will meet more of the neighbours then too.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
This lifestyle is suiting me for now @Sarasa Although I’ve not seen much of the park yet, as I’m unpacking and finding places for everything, rather than walking about.

I am taking my time, as I want to spend time with Pooch, to be sure he settles well

Knowing how my life goes ... my plans could change. I do want to buy a property, the where and what is the question that only time will tell

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson