The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I watched a bit of that @Havemercy , but I couldn’t get into it, I think it’s probably that it’s a long watch, I’m into bite sized programs where I can see it all sorted in under an hour :p Under the hammer is perfect, four or five properties go from dump to glam in an hour.

I had an email today, Critical: Inside Intensive Care looks like a strsssful watch in these times ...

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
We have put girls pool up today and the weather is going to change tom guaranteed ! Thankfully it has very high sides or else the Labrador would be in it permanently . You are multi talented @Sam Luvit , dog grooming ? Are you still getting less shifts at work ? How is the language learning going ? Hope big brother and baby girl and rest of family doing ok. Big hugs to you and pooch .??. x

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
So it’s your fault @Woo2 :rolleyes: ... just checked and it’s going to rain for the next ten days. What have you done :eek:

I have an advantage. I had boys and a brother. I learnt to use clippers on the boys when they were little. Once you get over the fear, a quick No 3 all over becomes very simple. I have also had some “scissor happy” trims, so I watch hairdressers like a hawk. I copied what they did and put that into practice as the boys grew up a bit and wanted slightly longer hair. Big brother even allowed me to cut his a few times when he couldn’t get an appointment o_O Pooch just has a bit more area to work on :p

My hours have increased minimally. I’ve applied to another agency and am presently waiting on a promised phone call. I’ll have to remember which uniform to wear, but other than that, it’s just different clients and I might get to help more people.

I’ve yet to motivate to language learning, but I have increased phone calls to older family and friends of my parents. I’m working out if it’s possible to set up the printer and maybe type a few letters. I think it wouId be nicer in these troubling times to get a chatty letter rather than just the same old bills ;)

Big brother is still pushing himself too much, but not as much as he was. So, that’s a relief. I’m going to try to do a drive by either today or tomorrow to see him. I stand ten foot from him, so keeping to social distancing, but I need to go to the garage to get something, so it’s not “non essential” travel. I can combine the two as I drive past his place on the way

Baby girl is giggling and stomping around. I am getting a massive collection of photos and video, much more than I wouId normally expect, so it will be nice for the future too

Thanks for the hugs. Pooch is curled up by me and sleeping. It’s such a hard life being a pooch :D

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Just musing ....

When I was about ten or twelve I used to have this recurring dream. I couldn’t make head nor tail of it, but I knew it was about memories. I used to wake up with the feeling it was trying to tell me something. I’ve had the dream a few times over the years, but with years between them. The dream never changes. Nothing is added or taken away. When it starts there is a feeling of familiarit, I know what’s coming, but it still goes through exactly the same dialogue. This morning, for no reason at all, I remembered the dream.

Bear with me ...

There is this small book, it has a soft to the touch black cover, like fleece. The cover opens and the pages start turning ... they are all blank and very white.

As the pages turn there start to appear a few pencilled lines of writing (it looks like my writing). As the pages keep turning, more lines of writing are on the pages, always in pencil. There are spaces, like paragraphs, between a line, then a few lines, then several lines

Gradually, as the pages keep turning, the spaces between the paragraphs get smaller and smaller, like an awareness than space is now running out

At the end of the book, the writing has become very small and squashed up. There are no spaces, no paragraphs... it’s just crammed with words.

[In my dream I knew this was memories, gradually filling up my brain, from birth to old age. As the memories increased, the space needed to store them was getting smaller.]

Then the dream gets even stranger

The book starts flicking the pages backwards. There is no room, no spaces left to keep writing, but there are new memories to write about.
I rub out, erase, a paragraph and write over the space that’s been created. Then the book flicks a few more pages back and again I erase a paragraph and write more memories.

I wake up. I know I’ve erased some important memories, but I had to do it, but I have no idea why or what it means. I was only about ten when these dreams started

So. Today I’m walking Pooch up the hill and I remember the dream. It started me thinking.

Is this what causes mixed memories. We overwrite bits of old memories with new ones, then mix them together?

its funny what too much time on your hands can lead to

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Good to hear about videos and photos of baby girl you are receiving ? Did you get to see big bro on drive by ? I do clipper hubby’s hair but would be scared to do the dog . I know right ...youngest was sitting on the lilo in her clothes and her dad tipped it over and her in , was funny . It’s still blinking cold in there as it takes 24 hrs to fill up and another month to warm up ! Won’t be in there for next few days by the sounds of it . Been out and covered up all our young veg plants . How did the shopping trip go ?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Morning @Woo2

I managed a drive by and saw big brother. He is still looking very tired. He says his left hand dexterity is getting better. I hope it is.

Shopping has never been my favourite pastime. It’s definitely something I do as little as possible now. I really do not understand why everyone is in such a hurry. What are they hurrying home to? Another episode of another repeat? They huff and moan at having to keep a distance. They sneer if I back off when they invade my personal space, never mind get three or four foot from me. Yesterday, queue jumping for the till was added to that.

There was a tiny island up for sale, it popped up on social media, quite cheap. I wish I could afford it. The idea of being a few hundred miles from everyone is very appealing right now

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Morning :) Hubby has long hardoured a desire to buy an island and be self sufficient and see no one ! He wants that even more now . I would hate it ! Glad to hear you saw big bro , I’m sure his dexterity will get there in time . He still needs lots of rest. Don't get me started on shopping and distancing:rolleyes: have you managed to get some reading down while weather pants ? Our veg seedlings have shot up during the cooler wetter weather . In laws peer over fence and joke that we will be able to open a market stall in a couple of months or an online veg box service?. Big hugs to you and pooch .

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I used to joke about living on an island miles from anywhere @Woo2 .. now I wish I could
I get so cross and stressed with the eegits that refuse to believe a two metres gap might save their, my and our loved ones lives
The stress levels of clients is also off the scale. Anxiety levels through the roof. It’s getting harder and harder to raise a smile
I feel like punching the air when I get a laugh
I was that fed up ... I applied for another agency
Step 1 - made the application
Step 2 - got an interview
Step 3 - training at the end of the week!!!
I’m crossing my fingers for the next bit
Told my terminal client, adding I would stay with the present one to see him. He asked for the name of the new one, saying he might move
The thought that someone would follow me if I moved was humbling. It made me swell up with pride. I
Must be getting something right
I just want to get that smile

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Well done for a successful application with a new agency and best wishes going forward.
you should indeed be proud of yourself. You are always saying that trying to obtain that smile is so important and it is.
Congratulations
Yes the lack of social distancing by some people is very frustrating

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I can imagine work is harder and that clients are feeling the pressure too , how lovely of your chap to want to follow you :) , he knows a special carer when he sees one ! I like the importance you put on helping them to feel better about things by getting a smile . Good luck with the training , you will do just fine .

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Sam, hope everything is going well. I was impressed your old man wanted to follow you, there is no greater praise!
Its lovely weather here, hope you are similarly blessed!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yes the lack of social distancing by some people is very frustrating
Thank you @Bikerbeth ... so far, training day one is completed, we actually did two days training lol, so day three is on Monday. So far, they have managed to sound much more like a place I want to be part of. Fingers crossed they are and want me

Getting a smile is massively important to me, sometimes it’s hard, sometimes I have to take a really deep breath and remind myself that the words “ no hurry, it takes as long as you need” really need to feel meant, no matter how much I know that I’m going to over run, but the relief in their eyes and the smile really is worth it.

I shopped today

I could need someone to smuggle in a file to the prison at this rate ...

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Yes, it is tough right now @Woo2 , the clients are stressing over not being able to go out, even though many never do. I think they worry about family and friends who are going out and what might happen to them, more than about themselves. They also watch the “updates” all day. I couldn’t function if I did that ...

My lovely man, so sweet and although in more pain than he can bear at times, still jokes and laughs. I’ve promised to visit once the virus allows. He told me I’m part of the furniture now and the other carers etc will just have to move out of my way! Bless him. We all adore him and would fight to see him. So cute that he wouId change so he can still see me.

I just think it’s important to play down the fear for them, it is a scarey time, but so long as they stay home, refuse unnecessary visitors and keep reminding others to wash their hands, it doesn’t need to be the overwhelming fear some are feeling.

There was a poem I read a zillion years ago ... “A smile is worth nothing, until it is given away ..”. It’s always stuck with me ..

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
The training has been ... interesting lol. They are trying Zoom, but I don’t think they are the most IT literate ... it took them two hours to get it to start !! Good thing I was doing it with (in different towns) a friend and we were texting, phoning and working through the books while waiting.

We both agreed their attitude is exactly what we want to be part of. It’s an interesting difference to other agencies, in that they go through the training and then see if we and they are a god fit. They say hours will be gradually increased as they “match” Carer to client. Sounds good to me @canary

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Spamar

I think it is going well, I seem to have passed step one and two of the training, step three is Monday ... then it’s a final interview. I’ll be gutted if I don’t make the grade.

I’ll admit to being more than a bit pumped up by the thought of my old man wanting to follow me.

Yes, the sun has been shining. I’ve sat outside with Pooch and chilled with a book a couple of times, but we are still walking a fair amount and I think I’m getting a bit of colour too.