The Adventures of Poppet & Other Stories

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
How about taking a broom with you sam..............?
;);):cool:
Do not tempt me.

I seem to keep meeting “those” people. The ones who are far too important to wait for the person in front of me to move along. The ones who need to get as close as possible to everyone. The ones who huff if you politely ask them to move back a few foot.

I’ve definitely gotten less polite and more sarcastic as time goes on

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Sorry to hear pooch is a bit down in the dumps , he feels like so many of us I’m sure . Mine is ok, think she has given up hope of everything going to the park again :rolleyes: Mum ok , Ice cream last night when the red mist descended and calm was restored instantly ! She has been in the garden yes, likes watching the birds and butterflies . Learning something new sounds a great idea , daughter is teaching us a new Spanish word every day . Apparently there are some places to learn a language for free . Ou are good I agree but a bit pricey . I’m learning to knit .

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Oh there was a woman swearing earlier about being fed up with having to queue and she has spent too long waiting ! She got some comments from us , what is wrong with some people :mad: they would be the first to complain if they caught it or lost their loved ones .

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
It is absolutely infuriating when people seem to ignore the distance requirements....I am sick of patiently waiting for someone to move from the area I need to look, only to finally get there and blow me.....some idiot comes close?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Poor Pooch @Woo2 , he just doesn’t understand why he’s not getting the attention from everyone. He’s getting lots from me, but I’m just not enough :( Tonight we heard a noise and I went out to see what it was ... cue one excited Pooch. He heard clapping and raced over to get his attention. Slightly embarrassing as it was one of the people on site, her OH is a key worker and she was clapping for him and everyone else. Pooch thought she was calling him. Bless him. He ran around like a loon.

So glad the ice cream is working still. It’s such a relief when the “magic” works and the threatened storm passes. Isn’t it funny how rapidly the mood changes? It used to fascinate me, how mum could go from full on toddler strop to charming personified just with the thought of a cake coming her way.

I have some ”Teach yourself Spanish” disks somewhere, I also have a friend who keeps threatening me with lessons. It might stretch our friendship though ...:oops:

The OU is the best distance learning I’ve tried. £100 a month didn’t feel too bad for a degree, but on my present hourly rate and only for a diploma is steeper than I can afford these days. I will keep looking. I have to do something before my brain implodes

I do have a cross stitch sitting around, but I don’t think I’m quite that bored yet. I enjoyed it sitting at home with lots of room, not sure it will be the same feeling in a tin can with Pooch trying to climb on my lap every ten minutes

Keep safe ... the next three weeks has just been announced

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I thought the English were the nation of queue’ers. We form orderly lines for everything ... what’s so different about this?

Send her my way @Woo2 I’ll give her some directions. I don’t understand what the hurry is. What are they rushing for? There’s no traffic jams. There’s no work to get ready for. Just blooming wait ... it’s better than watching repeats on TV isn’t it???

I could legitimately walk to the front of the queue, flash my badge and walk straight in. I don’t. I wait in line. I’ve even done that, in uniform, as I had a seventy minute gap. Mostly I go before I start work ... it gives me something to do. Some people ........ it just beggars belief

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
It is absolutely infuriating when people seem to ignore the distance requirements....I am sick of patiently waiting for someone to move from the area I need to look, only to finally get there and blow me.....some idiot comes close?
Exactly. I’m waiting for someone to move so I can pick up what I want ... person behind waltzes right past us both ... too blooming close.

Please tell me why key workers are risking their health every day for these people?????

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I hope you can work your magic with your brother Sam.

I'll ask kids about language learning apps, think dau knows which ones are good and free.

I went to costco on Saturday, no one in one out system, big queues with no tape at checkouts, and fairly busy - so might not bother again. I had had main shop delivered on line but wanted something that I couldn't get. I only go monthly anyway so won't need to go for a while and did get a couple of things I can't get on my other shop - click and collect this week - a new experience as only shopped on line for over a decade.

Not posted much, been busy and things happening - was meant to be on holiday this week but too busy to worked - and lots of calls as well keeping in touch with colleagues, retired colleagues and furloughed colleagues.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @jugglingmum

Loverly to hear from you and know you are keeping well. I know you are always running around, but still worry if it’s been a long time between you popping in.

I like picking up my own groceries, it’s the only shopping I enjoy ... everything else is on line. However, no deliveries allowed here, so I have to shop when I can get there. I dare not do a “click n collect” as I could get asked to work and then I’d either be driving around with it, or not get it at all.

I too hope I can get big brother to make a move, maybe I can find and buy a house, then persuade him to convalesce with me. Maybe the witch will decide to move on ... I can’t see her looking after him, should he need it.

That would be great if you could. I tried Duolingo, but didn’t get on with it, I think I’m more old fashioned in needing to learn words before trying conversations as the “modern” apps seem to favour. I taught myself some basic Italian at school with a book lol

I’ve been pretty lucky with queues, mostly. Only one long one, but I needed to catch up with a friend who only texts, so I did that while waiting.

I’m guessing your racing around getting the kids to matches etc has halted, it must seem very strange. Seems you have swopped that for keeping in touch. Do you find it very tiring? I do. I have a few friends who I know are very much alone and have health issues, so they are on the twelve week keep indoors rule. I found it much easier to pop in occasionally rather than texting every week or so. I’ve set up diary reminders to try and keep on top of it, but I don’t want it to be ever xday in case I can’t call or text and they get stressed. Ive already had a panicked call from an elderly friend of my parents, who I’d not spoken to for a month (I call every three weeks, but different days and times), I didn’t tell her about big brother ... she wouId be devastated.

I do hope that when this is over and a degree of normality returns that people will still keep in touch with their vulnerable friends, Ex colleagues and elderly relatives.

Keep safe ... I need to con you into another meet up:p

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I said exactly that to hubby ,
We are used to queues ! Why are people so bothered about it . It’s bloody infuriating and I’m glad I don’t have to go out and mix with these people . Have noticed this week that there are more people out and about , they seemed to do 2 weeks and now starting to go out again .
Bless pooch , of course people want to see him and lavish attention on him , who wouldn’t . I’m sure he is happy having snuggles with you . I am starting to slowly go a little crazy so am making sure I keep busy but of course that makes mum cross as she wants me sitting with her even though she is ignoring most of my attempts at conversation so sitting in silence 90% of the time . Hubby comes in and she will come to life and laugh and smile :oops: She will miss him when he goes back to work . Hope you find something to do that doesn’t cost a pretty penny . Give pooch extra fuss from me .

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hope you find something to do that doesn’t cost a pretty penny .
Hi @Woo2

There are a lot more people and cars around these last few days. I leave the site to work or to food shop. That’s it. Yet I see groups of teenagers, people sitting on benches having a chat, even cars parked up so they can chat through the windows. I’m sure they think they are being very clever, but it’s just selfish. The more people meet up, the more chance there is of this spreading ... the longer it will go on.
As for the supermarkets ... they are ... words fail me.

I’ve found “A - cheapest” is pretty good at getting people through the door, but once inside I t’s up to the shoppers where they go, how close and which direction. Most are good, but two or three on each visit do not care and brush past other shoppers, will not wait and some actively move to be as close as possible when passing. Security on the door baffles me, he stands less than four feet from the door and maybe three feet from the first in the queue. It’s impossible to keep any distance going in or leaving. If they could see that the short tills mean you can’t help but face the cashier while trying to throw everything in your trolley, unless you’re a contortionist and reach round the screen, it might be better for everyone.

B has lovely blue arrows giving directions, but people ignore them. Staff try to redirect, but get aggressive verbal abuse. I’ve had a few people say “I know I’m going the wrong way, but I’m sick of going round in circles”. Today I had a trolly pushed into my butt to try to make me move forward, when I was keeping a distance from the person in front who was picking things off the shelf!

C - more expensive, mostly good, less aggression, but no understanding of distancing by staff or customers

I find shopping incredibly stressful right now, I don’t understand what the blooming rush is. There is plenty of parking. The queue gives you a chance to add to your list so you don’t forget things, you can text friends in peace or just enjoy being outside. You could even smile at random strangers if that helps.

Whats the rush to get round the shop? What have you got to hurry for? We are all just killing time right now, so why barge past people trying to keep a distance? Am I missing something?

Can you tell I had to shop today?

Anyway ....

Pooch is presently ignoring me. He will be back over to my side to climb on my lap for a snuggle and an ear rub soon, so I’m enjoying to cool things while he’s sulking :rolleyes: when he climbs back, I’ll tickle his ears for you:p

Is there anything you can do while sitting near your mum? Cross stitch, knitting, patchwork quilt lol. Occasionally I would get out the Wii and have a go on the Wii Fit. Mum wouId have hysterics at my attempts to “ski jump“ or “Step”. She laughed and I got some exercise. Just a dumb suggestion, but it might help you think of other things. Brainstorming by type lol

I’ve offered to do more shifts ... but they cut my hours instead. I might have to take up yoga at this rate before I kill someone.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I shopped yesterday - click and collect - which took over 45 minutes to arrive. I have had an on line delivery until now but only those on govt list get them going forward.

I then popped into the shop - and no queue - believe the same one in Chester has over an hour queue all the time

All nicely distanced everywhere and no issues at all, I was rather stressed at length of wait for click and collect so all good.

I did my mum's shop in another local supermarket last Thursday - long queue but actually only 10 mins - one in one out except security guy chatted to a staff member leaving and let 6 out and no one in. Bonus was quick shop as was empty and no queue for till. All in shop kept distance but in one aisle 4 staff stacking a shelf all close together and had to go a bit closer to them than I would have liked.

I went to a wholesale warehouse last Sat, and no restrictions on who goes in, and long queues for tills and had to wait in places to move, but again everyone kept their distance but didn't feel comfortable as shop was too full. I could get some stuff I haven't been able to get in supermarket. I have since received an email from CEO to say introducing one in one out policy with immediate effect.

Those are only times I have been in shops since 20th March.

There is a loop road round our estate which is a mile long, so used by lots of people for walking, kids have been out for runs and say everyone is stepping into road etc to make sure no contact.

Our hospital has plenty of capacity (spoke with a neighbour who is a nurse helping to run a covid ward) although all ages are in there. Other localish areas have it much worse than our hospital.

I've seen a lot of people commenting on the traffic increasing this week. Not sure why, but some of it was rush hour time they thought.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I had an awful shopping trip a week or so ago where I ended up back in my car in tears - to the embarrassment of the store manager who had come out to help me! I struggle to walk so go to local stores but still need to use a trolley to lean on. These had been removed and I had to use a wheeled basket which was too small to hold everything I needed for my 10 day shopping trip. I'm also too proud to ask for help!

Anyway, the manager told me to ask the staff on the door for a trolley when I first arrived and he got one from the back. I queued outside in the sun sat on a little fold up stool I have and when inside I found the floors were marked with a one way system which worked well. The trolley gave me more space as well. The only people who got too close were a couple of middle aged men who didn't seem to understand that one of us had to squeeze in if we needed to get past each other!

So, I got everything on my list bar flour ( where has that disappeared to!) and having the trolley stopped my legs from hurting too much. Then I popped into my chemist for some special skin cream and was delighted to be made to feel so welcome, I am a regular there as as I have a few repeat prescriptions but it makes such a difference to be met with a smile!

So, as we enter another three weeks of lockdown, I wonder how my mood will be soon. Video calls are all and good but I've not actually seen a physical person, other than on my two shopping trips, for weeks now! My neighbours are all very elderly and have high fences around their gardens and all my social activities have stopped so I just stay at home on my own! I'm like a hermit!

I can't even go and visit mum to care for her as she is still in hospital ( admitted 21/3/20) awaiting discharge to a care placement as it has been agreed that she cannot return home to live alone and I cannot physically look after her increasing needs. My siblings and I knew this was on the cards so although we would prefer to have a choice in where she goes, we will accept anything for now and find somewhere closer to us when care homes reopen.

My sister had been her main Carer, we paid her to work 20 hours a week for mum but it's lucky that mums needs have been assessed as now my sister is in isolation because her 17 year old daughter had tested positive for Covid 19. My niece has been so good and stayed at home despite many of her friends ignoring the rules as she knew that her mum was caring for grandma but she worked for Decathlon part time and they were late shutting their stores as they sell some essential fitness equipment ie bikes so she must have caught it there. Goodness knows how we would have coped if my mum was still at home.

Everyone's life has changed so much, the future is unknown and we are just doing the best we can to get through it. I just keep telling myself that I need to focus on myself, keep myself healthy and hopefully at some time my life can resume again - although I suspect it will never be the same as it was before. It feels a bit like a silly, unrealistic Scfi film that I would not choose to watch!

Everyone, take care and look after yourself

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I do knit while sitting with mum, hubby and I used to spend our weekends and evenings, decorating , tidying etc and he is busy doing lots of jobs and I’m sat in here on my butt and watching my waistline inch upwards and outwards ! :( I need to get out and do some jobs . Have watched a lot of films (musicals ) over last month . Mum is exceptionally tired at the moment , she did used to go to bed for days on end when at home with dad so she spends more time awake here and there is more going on , when she has got grumpy I have eventually worked out she is tired. She has what looks like a knat bite right under her eye and keeps scratching it, will put cream on it later and give her an antihistamine .
I will be tackling a food shop next week and I’m not looking forward to it , hubby insists I wear a mask and literally dripping in sanitizer so it prob won’t be much fun . Hope pooch has got over his sulk and enjoyed his ear rub . How is big brother doing ? Hope his friends are keeping in touch with him like you arranged , hope baby girl and sons doing ok too. X

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I had an awful shopping trip a week or so ago where I ended up back in my car in tears - to the embarrassment of the store manager who had come out to help me! I struggle to walk so go to local stores but still need to use a trolley to lean on. These had been removed and I had to use a wheeled basket which was too small to hold everything I needed for my 10 day shopping trip. I'm also too proud to ask for help!

Anyway, the manager told me to ask the staff on the door for a trolley when I first arrived and he got one from the back. I queued outside in the sun sat on a little fold up stool I have and when inside I found the floors were marked with a one way system which worked well. The trolley gave me more space as well. The only people who got too close were a couple of middle aged men who didn't seem to understand that one of us had to squeeze in if we needed to get past each other!

So, I got everything on my list bar flour ( where has that disappeared to!) and having the trolley stopped my legs from hurting too much. Then I popped into my chemist for some special skin cream and was delighted to be made to feel so welcome, I am a regular there as as I have a few repeat prescriptions but it makes such a difference to be met with a smile!

So, as we enter another three weeks of lockdown, I wonder how my mood will be soon. Video calls are all and good but I've not actually seen a physical person, other than on my two shopping trips, for weeks now! My neighbours are all very elderly and have high fences around their gardens and all my social activities have stopped so I just stay at home on my own! I'm like a hermit!

I can't even go and visit mum to care for her as she is still in hospital ( admitted 21/3/20) awaiting discharge to a care placement as it has been agreed that she cannot return home to live alone and I cannot physically look after her increasing needs. My siblings and I knew this was on the cards so although we would prefer to have a choice in where she goes, we will accept anything for now and find somewhere closer to us when care homes reopen.

My sister had been her main Carer, we paid her to work 20 hours a week for mum but it's lucky that mums needs have been assessed as now my sister is in isolation because her 17 year old daughter had tested positive for Covid 19. My niece has been so good and stayed at home despite many of her friends ignoring the rules as she knew that her mum was caring for grandma but she worked for Decathlon part time and they were late shutting their stores as they sell some essential fitness equipment ie bikes so she must have caught it there. Goodness knows how we would have coped if my mum was still at home.

Everyone's life has changed so much, the future is unknown and we are just doing the best we can to get through it. I just keep telling myself that I need to focus on myself, keep myself healthy and hopefully at some time my life can resume again - although I suspect it will never be the same as it was before. It feels a bit like a silly, unrealistic Scfi film that I would not choose to watch!

Everyone, take care and look after yourself
I’m sorry you had a difficult shopping trip , nice to hear you got a nice reception at your pharmacist , I am well known at mine and we always usually have time for a chat . I read an article that said that 90 % odd of flour goes to food manufactures in tankers and huge sacks and that they are geared up for that and they don’t actually have the capacity and staff to increase the production of small 1kg bags , they were trying to get more out but there is a bottleneck , hopefully it will start getting out in to shelves soon . Sorry to hear about your niece too and how good of her to stay home and protect her Grandma and many others .

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I've seen a lot of people commenting on the traffic increasing this week. Not sure why, but some of it was rush hour time they thought.
Morning @jugglingmum
Is that all shops making it Gov list only for click n collect? I don’t use it, but the staff at the site do. If that’s the case, I will pass it on.

One of my coworkers has set up an FB group for a local supermarket, people put in the queue times when they drive past or go shopping. It’s helpful to know if it’s worth driving there, or to wait a while for it to reduce. It’s either 20+ or straight in. It’s handy, but it has the worst instance of people who deliberately get as close as possible when pushing past.

Ive noticed that the bigger the store, the closer the staff seem to be to each other? Gathering in groups for a chat. The smaller stores seem to be well distanced. Very odd

It’s good that people around you are keeping their distances. I get very stressed when I find myself boxed in if I’m shopping. I wonder if that feeling will pass if we ever get through this, or if I will still want that extended “personal space”

Our hospital has emptied the wards in anticipation of the influx. We are very lucky, the numbers are very low. Anyone who is not an emergency has been kicked out. My brother was out two days after a stroke and my cousin (another area) was out an hour after recovery for an emergency Op. Both told to recover at home with no follow up.

The traffic has definitely increased, along with the speeding. The rate of RTI’s is going to be horrific when lockdown ends if this continues.

Keep safe

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Is that all shops making it Gov list only for click n collect? I don’t use it, but the staff at the site do. If that’s the case, I will pass it on.
It was govt list for delivery so I could only get click and collect - the time I waited it would have been quicker to go round the store

both stores were fairly large.

I know our local hospital has emptied everyone out - they have plenty of capacity but still have wards of covid patients

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
. It feels a bit like a silly, unrealistic Scfi film that I would not choose to watch!

Hi @Lynmax

Im sorry you had such a horrid shopping experience, but glad you got some help, even if you don’t like to ask

Flour is disappearing as people try their hand at cakes and bread making (suck a pity they don’t understand that needs bread flour !!). Lots of my friends bake when they get stressed, others are baking with kids as something to occupy them.

I too was met with smiles at the pharmacy, I commented that they always smile and it’s so nice to see these days. They are getting a lot of aggression over lack of certain items, but always smile and try to reassure the customers. They deserve a clap all to themselves for the way they manage to keep smiling

I hope your niece recovers quickly. It’s very worrying times, when we have sick friends and family, but can’t visit to see how they are. I’m trying to get brother to video call ... he’s not doing it with me so far, but is with friends abroad, so I get third hand reports.

That’s a very good description of life right now

Stay safe and try to smile through it all

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
We've been baking - I tend to buy flour ahead anyway - and son doesn't like shop bought cakes much. I realised people were panic buying and got hold of some flour.

April is cake month in our house, Easter cupcakes, big Easter cake, mum's birthday cakes, dau's birthday cake and then mine on 1 May. Also have 3 varieties of banana cake at the moment as we made some to use up bananas. OH has been making 'quick' Jamie Oliver naans which he saw on his TV prog which use SR as well. I am on my last bag of SR, and will be adding baking powder to plain for my birthday

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Afternoon @Woo2

I’m finding not having anything to do very frustrating. If I’d bought a house, I could be busy sanding and filling holes, or ripping off wall paper ... instead I’m twiddling my thumbs waiting for my next shift or shopping and trying hard not to explode at people. I definately prefer dogs to people. You can train dogs, seems you can’t train tupid.

They do say that “hostess mode”, (which your mum will be doing to an extent even with you), is very tiring. It’s a bit like knowing your baby is tired, but won’t take a nap :rolleyes: Somehow, you are going to need to try to find the signs that she’s getting tired and then put on soothing music, pretend to take a nap yourself or whatever will encourage her to have a nap. Honestly. The things we have to do.

Hope the bite isn’t causing too much irritation. Have you tried Anthisan or Anthical? It’s a cream that takes the itch out of bites, nettle stings etc. Generally available at the pharmacy, fairly cheap and very good. If you can take away the itch, hopefully your mum will stop scratching it.

Good luck with the shopping trip. I highly recommend having a list as most shops are trying a “one way” system, so going back for something is long winded to say the least. As for the fellow shoppers .... do let me know how you resist slapping them :eek::) I think I need some guidance

Pooch came over for his snuggle and ear rub, rolling over for a tummy rub, then used my knee as a pillow. Can’t be comfortable for him, but he seems to need to touch me when he snuggles. He also likes to give a little kick if I’ve stopped scratching his ear ... demanding little thing he is

I’ve managed to catch up with my nephew and we had a fairly honest chat about his dad. He confirmed what I’ve long suspected, ... that he blames his mum and not his dad for the tension etc. He definitely seems to want to assist his dads recovery as much as possible. I’ve made a few suggestions. Now I have to hope some of them work out. Big brother meanwhile is pushing himself ... I keep reminding him “slow n steady wins the race”, but ... he’s not keeping to that. At least one friend is in regular contact, I need to chase the others to see if they are too.

I wouId say I’ve washed the car, but that wouId be stretching the truth. I’ve sponged it off with cold water. It looks a lot better, less grubby and the bird poo is gone. Not sure why they all decided to use my car as target practice today ... but the mess is now gone. I might (only might) give it a proper wash and polish later in the week. I have bought the car shampoo ready, but I didn’t have long enough to get it done today. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it :p:p:p