Thay don't understand me

Nobby

Mar 21, 2018
i have been told I have vascular dementia but my family don't talk to me or go with me to the hospital . I had a stroke and I have had three Tia the last one was three weeks ago. Thay took my to hospital rang my wife she did not come I rang my son he never come that's how it is. On Mother's Day my son came to see is mum he said to me got over your stroke, then said I don't know how you do it.to this him is wife and my wife started to laugh this really hurt me then my wife said he will be alright come Saturday to go the pub. I set in the house for six days on my own playing mine games and cracking up so is it a sin to see my friends on Saturday as they all work all week so it's nice to go out.what I need to know is when are they going to take my health serious I carnt take any more it's as if I am doing it on my own.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Nobby, welcome to TP, you will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.

That does sound very hard for you. It isn't wrong to want to see your friends on a Saturday. Indeed it's very important for a person with dementia to have social interaction.

Do take time to have a good look around the site and ask any questions you may have as someone will usually answer. With regard to lack of activity during the week it may be that the AS organise things in your area that you may find of benefit. Just hit the light blue button with Alzheimer's Society in it at the top right corner of the page and scroll down the next page for this message, where your post code will bring up relevant details

Find support near you
Enter your postcode for more detailed information about dementia services and support groups in your area.

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Nobby
a warm welcome to TP from me too
I'm sorry that you don't seem to be getting the understanding and support from your family that you'd hoped you would
I wonder whether making a joke is their way of trying to come to terms with what's happening; unfortunately that doesn't help your feelings - maybe they are even a little afraid to acknowledge your diagnosis, thinking if they ignore it, it will go away, which is a shame as of course that's not the way to deal with any medical condition
maybe they aren't sure about what your diagnosis means - not many of us were very clued up before something happened within our own family - maybe leave a laptop open with the Alzheimer's Society pages showing, so they can have a look - here's a link to the main site
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/20007/types_of_dementia/5/vascular_dementia
I wonder whether there is an Admiral Nurse in your area who could come and have a chat with your family - have a look on their website
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/
at least you have now found TP so you can come here and know you are among folk who understand, so you can write whatever is on your mind
do go have a chat with your GP so they know how things are with you
some members here have recently posted about their OHs joining the local 'men in sheds' group (not sure that's really what it's called) - is there one near you, as that may be an interesting thing to do during the week and something to chat to your friends about at weekends
now you've found TP, keep posting