That went alarmingly well!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Tonight was the first visit of the Care Assistant to help with bathing William. A lovely friendly, but very capable woman. I only told him shortly before she got here that the doctor had arranged for a "nurse" to come and help him with having a nice bath, so he could be all clean and fresh. I had everything ready, so we just had to get him undressed, into the bath, washed and into his pj's - it only took 20 minutes! I think he was so surprised he didn't object. I even got his toenails clipped afterwards! And although I thought he would go straight to bed, he didn't - we watched a dvd for a while, and he was in good form. Let's hope it lasts.

We were also back to the Clinic at the hospital today, and saw yet another new Doctor, but he was really nice and very good. I explained how agitated Wm gets some days, with endless pacing and following me closely, and getting frustrated when I can't understand what he's trying to say - but other days he can be very tired. I also told him that I'm hearing a lot about "the others" and "they are saying" or "someone just said" - the voices that used to torment William before he was put on his current dose of Risperidone. The doc said that for the agitation and restlessness we have some room to increase his trazadone (molipaxin), but that he's already on quite a hefty dose of Risperidone for his age and condition, so he really wouldn't like to increase that. I told him that I knew that - and the hearing voices isn't the huge problem it used to be. It usually happens when he's already very agitated, and usually, he accepts any explaination I give him. So, the doc is giving extra trazadone for me to have on hand, not for every day, but to give him on those days when he is agitated. And he is going to have the CPN come out and talk to me about options for the future, for respite and talk to me about what the process is if I ever wanted to think about a nursing home for him.

di65

Feb 28, 2013
new zealand
So pleased it all went well.
I think that sometimes we worry on their behalf, only to have it proved that we were worrying in vain. I get worked up when we are due to have tradesman in the house, but time and time again OH greets them like long lost friends and wants to make them all a cuppa and a biscuit:). Hard to explain to him that they charge by the hour, and his cuppa and chats can last that long.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
What a relief that must have been. My husband is still at the point of being chased into the shower, and still knows what to do when he gets there, I hope, but I worry about the next stage. Sometimes I think he washes the walls and door but doesn't like hosing himself very much!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
So pleased it all went well.
I think that sometimes we worry on their behalf, only to have it proved that we were worrying in vain. I get worked up when we are due to have tradesman in the house, but time and time again OH greets them like long lost friends and wants to make them all a cuppa and a biscuit:). Hard to explain to him that they charge by the hour, and his cuppa and chats can last that long.

D'you know - William was doing that when we lived in the US, and that's 19 years ago!!