Thanks

theoh

Nov 11, 2015
I was feeling very depressed this morning regarding the rapid decline in the last two weeks by my OH - hallucinations, night time incontinence, confusion, etc and came across this site. Browsing this forum brightened me up somewhat as there are so many of you dealing with the same situation and that helps.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Don't feel isolated. Things can be done to help from better medication to support groups and day care. Make sure you have had a needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for yourself to see what is available. Above all don't struggle on without asking what can be done. Someone here will give you an answer.

Good wishes.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Also please just check he doesn't have a urinary infection, sometimes sudden decline indicates an infection of some kind - may not be but worth checking out x

theoh

Nov 11, 2015
Thanks for your responses

yes he keeps getting UTIs due to a significant prostate problem but the Urologist keeps telling me it will not effect him this way - I don't accept that and it is interesting to note on this forum that many of you link UTIs with increased confusion.

in terms of help sadly we live in the Middle East and they don't have day care centres etc. I am fortunate as I have got him a carer/sitter during the day while I am at work, he started with us two weeks ago and it has helped.

I think I feel isolated as there is no one here dealing with a similar situation hence this forum is a great help. I know it is now ok to feel frustrated, guilty, depressed etc.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Good afternoon theoh:) a warm welcome to you to Talking Point, glad but sad you have joined us in the "world of dementia" please do not feel alone anymore, much support and understanding from us as carers and who are people that care:p umm yes well the medical profession sometimes don't know best, UTI's and also constipation can cause all sorts of problems,especially confusion,UTIs hit all ages:rolleyes: add dementia..then it's even a bigger problem..hope a course of antibiotics helps your OH
Keep posting and take care
Chris

P.S living in my part of London..our day care centre and social clubs for older people have all been closed down:(

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The oh you are in the Middle East and don't feel anyone else is sharing your experience. My daughter lived in both Dubai and Kuwait for many years and it seemed to me that there were many of the same problems as elsewhere but they were hidden away. It is such a pity that other cultures cannot be open about issues involving mental health as that is the start of reaching a solution.

Perhaps through the medium of TP you will find a fellow traveller on this unfortunate journey. Are you able to put your approximate location under your name so that others in the area can talk with you too?

theoh

Nov 11, 2015
went home from work last night feeling a lot less depressed having read a lot of posts and realized there other carers dealing with far far more difficulties than me. He was brighter, we had a lovely evening as he was able to have conversations with me and the DVDs of his favourite TVs series had arrived from the UK so we watched an episode. Really nice (although I had seen the episode about 5 times before!).

He had a bad night and now is confused as to where he is and keeps phoning me as he doesn't realize he is already at home. Still a good couple of hours when he is more like his old self makes all the difference and helps me through the down side.

Marionq - you understand about the middle east. we are in the GCC but small community so cannt be more specific as I enjoy the privacy I have found on here to be able to open and honest about my feelings and frustrations - that sounds selfish but I am in a fairly unique situation here.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Welcome theoh, it must be very hard not having any support services or networks, I'm glad you have found this place.
Have you heard of Admiral Nurses? They are fairly few and far between in the UK, although people seem to find them very helpful. Because of their scarcity you can contact them by email so that might be a source of additional advice for you.