Thanks for the past support

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Thanks for the past support I have had on here, has been a while since I posted as dad was safe in a care home and I had less reason to whinge.

My dad passed away peacefully yesterday, he died after only being really ill with a chest infection for one day, he just went downhill rapidly although he had been in decline for months dementia wise and his body weight had been dropping although was eating extra calories. Along with the doctor I took the decision (have full power of attorney) to not treat any more as nothing was working and we moved onto end of life pathway with only comfort palliative care. His passing from that decision was less than 24 hours, most of which he was asleep due to midazolam to stop his agitation and morphine to ease his pain. I was holding his hand as he just slipped away, and two hours before I had kissed him, told him all his mates and mum were at the big free bar in the sky and he opened his eyes and said thankyou. That meant so much to me, he had asked to die for so long, he was ready to go, nature just took its course a little quicker than I expected. He had dementia for over 10 years, but only the last 3 years did he need full time care. He had a good life, we will be celebrating his 86 years as soon as I can get things sorted when everywhere opens up tomorrow. Thanks everyone and good luck on your journeys, I will most likely return when my MIL progresses but for now we are all fine.

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for the past support I have had on here, has been a while since I posted as dad was safe in a care home and I had less reason to whinge.

My dad passed away peacefully yesterday, he died after only being really ill with a chest infection for one day, he just went downhill rapidly although he had been in decline for months dementia wise and his body weight had been dropping although was eating extra calories. Along with the doctor I took the decision (have full power of attorney) to not treat any more as nothing was working and we moved onto end of life pathway with only comfort palliative care. His passing from that decision was less than 24 hours, most of which he was asleep due to midazolam to stop his agitation and morphine to ease his pain. I was holding his hand as he just slipped away, and two hours before I had kissed him, told him all his mates and mum were at the big free bar in the sky and he opened his eyes and said thankyou. That meant so much to me, he had asked to die for so long, he was ready to go, nature just took its course a little quicker than I expected. He had dementia for over 10 years, but only the last 3 years did he need full time care. He had a good life, we will be celebrating his 86 years as soon as I can get things sorted when everywhere opens up tomorrow. Thanks everyone and good luck on your journeys, I will most likely return when my MIL progresses but for now we are all fine.

So sorry for your loss but pleased his passing was peaceful and quick.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm so sorry to read your news. How lovely that you were holding his hand. Sending you my condolences.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A short crisis and peaceful passing is as much as we can hope for Teanosugar. It sounds as if it was this for you and your dad.

CJinUSA

Jan 20, 2014
eastern USA

Thank you for sharing your lovely story with us. I'm sorry he's gone but happy he is now at peace.

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Dear Teanosugar

Thank you for letting us know about your dear Dad's peaceful onward journey. It brought a tear to my eye, but so pleased for you that you were holding his hand. How lovely that he thanked you, that is something you will always remember.

((HUGS))

pauline

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson