Thank you to the stranger who picked my mum up off the dual carriageway!

JaneDee

Jul 9, 2012
Yorkshire
Today wasn't a good a good day. My mum escaped from day care and after being missing for quite a while the police rang to say someone had found her on the dual carriageway.

The home said that the afternoon's entertainment had let her out thinking she was a relative. Too many assumptions, just because she is younger and doesn't look ill does not mean she is not a resident.:(

I think that when a home has a door lock people can become too complacent, believing that instances such as these will not happen. I do believe it won't happen again.

Thank you to the stranger who realised something wasn't quite right when they saw my mum on the busy A road. I am so thankful she wasn't run over!

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
That really shouldn't have happened.

My husband goes to daycare, and the only way out of the building is via a keypad (for staff) or if the office open the door to let us out.

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Glad she is safe but the time must have dragged until she was found.

Day Care needs an urgent overhaul of their practices!!

Anongirl

Aug 8, 2012
My god that is mortifying :eek:

My mum isn't elderly and at first glance just seems very chatty. I could certainly imagine this happening to her.

I hope they've learnt an important lesson and I'm so glad your mum is ok. Thank goodness for good people out there x

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Thank god Mum was returned safely
And no Mum should not have been able to escape, though I do understand how it can happen

I know it would not be easy for the staff, but perhaps a system whereby visitors need to buzz to be let in and out combined with a camera so staff can see who is coming or going before they unlock the door

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
Crikey, you'd think the entertainment would have been told that they must exit unaccompanied, as it were, or at least check with staff first. So glad your mum was found safe.

Other side of the coin, I swear a 'new' relative at my mother's CH once took me for a resident. Will admit I was looking somewhat wild and woolly having charged round after doing loads of jobs at home, but she did give me a very funny look when I told her not to leave her bag lying around, since it was liable to 'walk'...

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Crying out loud that is terrible. She could easily have been killed. Where my MIL goes no one can get in or out without the codes to the locks. If MIL got out I would be very angry!

I am so pleased that she was found safe. Have you complained?

JaneDee

Jul 9, 2012
Yorkshire
I am not sure how I feel, I didn't find out until after it happened so shock and guilt that my dad dealt with the panic on his own. Most of all I think I feel disappointed because we have found a good home that so far has ticked all the boxes.

They have issued a formal apology, a change in procedure and further training / awareness.

Thank you Witzend for making me chuckle at a rather glum time! :D

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I should think they have reviewed procedures!!! I'd ask for a follow up in a month to find out what they have changed and what specific actions they've taken.