Thank you for the help and support

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Dear All

I lived with and helped mum deal with developing Vascular Dementia for six years before she died earlier this year of heart failure. I stumbled into the caring role, found my way to this forum, attended a care group locally but not with mum, who rarely accepted there was anything wrong with her. I obtained invaluable advice eg getting mum through two cataract operations, how to deal with mum asking me who I was, confusing me for my father, her father, even a few times her mother. After her death I received a lot of kind and thoughtful comments on this forum. It is a strange world on this forum. Members talk openly about deeply personal concerns, good advice is given and accepted, but we never meet. We trust other members more than people we actually meet, recognising fellow travellers on the Dementia road. So I want to say a heart felt thanks but also for now goodbye.

I recently worked for a month in a care home but I have just left that employment. Combination of reasons. Some of the Carers were lovely people some were not so great. To much measurement for CQC tick boxes on checking visits, at the cost of real hands on care. For example recording how much fluid is given to each resident and when. I get the importance of doing so but not in a tick box mentality way. Yes resident X was given fluids of this amount, type, time of day, etc. Yes but did they drink it. Oh I see that is not recorded. The mission statement is we are here to help our residents but it must be done at speed on 12 hour long night shifts. Basically it has helped to release me from my emotional upset to a degree.

My grandad use to apparently say”noughts wasted”. Well a month of care home work has taught me a lot, some positive some not so positive. Decisively it has taught me to truly heal and move forward after mum’s death I need to let go of Dementia. It is no longer my fight. I will engage in future voluntary work but in another field. What would have been mum’s 90th birthday was last week and hit me very hard. I need to refind memories of pre Dementia mum, get some fun and laughter back into my life, let go of six years of great personal sadness and loss. Maybe one day I will be able to re engage with Dementia and help others but not right now. It might sound very selfish but I now need a period of time putting myself first, build new friendships, engage with old passions and interests, etc. I am just emotionally spent as my recent posts show when reading them again.

I wish everyone either living with Dementia or those struggling to help loved ones do so my best wishes for the future. Those like me who are trying to get over the loss of the loved one I genuinely wish you peace and future happiness where ever you can find it. I am not going to visit this forum for some time and seek to heal. I wish to re engage with life and try to rebuild what I was before Dementia visited me and mum.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dear All

I lived with and helped mum deal with developing Vascular Dementia for six years before she died earlier this year of heart failure. I stumbled into the caring role, found my way to this forum, attended a care group locally but not with mum, who rarely accepted there was anything wrong with her. I obtained invaluable advice eg getting mum through two cataract operations, how to deal with mum asking me who I was, confusing me for my father, her father, even a few times her mother. After her death I received a lot of kind and thoughtful comments on this forum. It is a strange world on this forum. Members talk openly about deeply personal concerns, good advice is given and accepted, but we never meet. We trust other members more than people we actually meet, recognising fellow travellers on the Dementia road. So I want to say a heart felt thanks but also for now goodbye.

I recently worked for a month in a care home but I have just left that employment. Combination of reasons. Some of the Carers were lovely people some were not so great. To much measurement for CQC tick boxes on checking visits, at the cost of real hands on care. For example recording how much fluid is given to each resident and when. I get the importance of doing so but not in a tick box mentality way. Yes resident X was given fluids of this amount, type, time of day, etc. Yes but did they drink it. Oh I see that is not recorded. The mission statement is we are here to help our residents but it must be done at speed on 12 hour long night shifts. Basically it has helped to release me from my emotional upset to a degree.

My grandad use to apparently say”noughts wasted”. Well a month of care home work has taught me a lot, some positive some not so positive. Decisively it has taught me to truly heal and move forward after mum’s death I need to let go of Dementia. It is no longer my fight. I will engage in future voluntary work but in another field. What would have been mum’s 90th birthday was last week and hit me very hard. I need to refind memories of pre Dementia mum, get some fun and laughter back into my life, let go of six years of great personal sadness and loss. Maybe one day I will be able to re engage with Dementia and help others but not right now. It might sound very selfish but I now need a period of time putting myself first, build new friendships, engage with old passions and interests, etc. I am just emotionally spent as my recent posts show when reading them again.

I wish everyone either living with Dementia or those struggling to help loved ones do so my best wishes for the future. Those like me who are trying to get over the loss of the loved one I genuinely wish you peace and future happiness where ever you can find it. I am not going to visit this forum for some time and seek to heal. I wish to re engage with life and try to rebuild what I was before Dementia visited me and mum.
All the best for your future. Take care.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you for your post @Whisperer.

You sound determined to put your life back together now and I wish you luck in what you choose to do in the future.

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
Dear @Whisperer, since becoming member in this forum, I have followed your journey and always been moved by how eloquently you write. Your love, compassion and love towards your dear mum pouring out in every post. Your words truly inspirational. I wish you all the he luck in the next part of your journey. There is a whole new exciting world waiting for you. I hope that you find like minded people to walk alongside you and help you in your recovery. Good luck in all that you do.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
All the best for your new life @Whisperer . If you are not sure what you want to do next, some volunteering might be a good idea. I only do a few hours a week in a charity bookshop and do some volunteering for a local festival, but it helps me connect with my local community, and has helped me start to find new friends,
We'll be here when you want to pop in and see us, with a virtual cup of tea and cake and a warm welcome.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Wishing you success and happiness in whatever you choose to do going forward @Whisperer - and thank you for being a part of Dementia Talking Point. Many have benefited from you having shared your experiences here, just as much as you have been helped by reading the experiences of others. Your grandad was right - 'nought's wasted'.

Whisperer

Mar 27, 2017
Southern England
Dear @Whisperer, since becoming member in this forum, I have followed your journey and always been moved by how eloquently you write. Your love, compassion and love towards your dear mum pouring out in every post. Your words truly inspirational. I wish you all the he luck in the next part of your journey. There is a whole new exciting world waiting for you. I hope that you find like minded people to walk alongside you and help you in your recovery. Good luck in all that you do.
Dear @Peace lily
This will be my last visit to this site in sometime. I read your comments and they reduced me to tears. I am humbled if my words have in any way given you inspiration. Yes my love for my mum was always in my words, in my thoughts and in my efforts to help her fight Dementia. We could not discuss that fight because mum rarely would accept that there was a problem and I use worked around the issues. Mum was a strong lady and I respected how she wanted to deal with matters.

Strangely whilst engaged with helping mum fight Dementia the emotional damage to myself was mostly manageable. It was only after her death I sometimes get very upset thinking

1) Mum like everyone else you deserved a better last few years, not cursed with Dementia and COVID-19 lockdowns.
2) Did we really travel that far in 6 short years, at the end in COVID-19 lockdowns how did I manage alone. Same as all the other Carers did in similar circumstances. That was hell on Earth, needing help but terrified reaching for it would bring COVID-19 into our home.
3) Mum forgetting my name, mixing me up with other people, etc, hurts more now than it did at the time. Those memories are raw and I cannot seem to get past them back to pre Dementia ones, but I am writing such thoughts down as and when I can to slowly rebuild a positive memory bank.

In all honesty part of me feels bad not staying on this forum. My experiences might help others in future, but at present I am burned out and emotionally in a bad way. Dementia has sucked the life force out of me over six years, the last one trying to deal with COVID-19 restrictions as mum’s Dementia just really came to the later stages. I seem to have lost contact with my two local siblings, possibly they not visiting a house which was mum’s home for over 60 years, their way of dealing with loss. Hopefully this will pass or at present I am totally on my own. Oh mum I loved you so much. They broke the mould after you came along.

Any way thanks to everyone for your kind words of support. I have briefly worked in a mostly Dementia care home, attended Carers groups, been a member of this forum, have a small library on Dementia which is no longer hidden away in bed drawers following mum’s death, etc. In 2015 me and mum went to the Memory Clinic after a year of persuading her to do so and our journey began. Mum’s came to an end earlier this year. I think of the man I was in 2015, who I have become. I think of the life I was living then and what was to follow. I cannot apparently get back to where I was as I would not now fit in. Some how I need to find a new path which will fit the man I now am, older, wiser, stronger on some ways, weaker in others. I guess all Carers go through this period after the death of the loved one. Having lived with mum for 32 years I can emphasise with those who have lost a long standing partner. Mum was the very best mum I could have had, but she was also my friend, companion, adviser, the person I shared a joke with, the person I had most shared history with. Only after I have come to terms with her loss, the destruction of her by Dementia, can I hope to heal. That in turn means stepping away from Dementia.

oh dear I have done it again. A brief reply becomes an essay, trying to understand myself and others. Well let’s not end on me, me, me. To all the members of this forum I can only wish you the best in your ongoing support of loved ones. Reading the threads of @desperate of Devon shows me how broken adult care is. Dear @canary thank you for all the advice you gave me directly and to others that I read over the years. Thank you to so many others who have contributed since 2017 when I stumbled onto this forum. I can say and do no more. Best wishes and thank you.

Peace lily

Jan 30, 2020
Dear @Whisperer, you mustn't feel guilty for leaving the forum, leaving the past in the past is a healthy start to recovery. Remembering happier times and moving forward to make new memories. Allowing time to heal all the difficult memories and experiences you have endured (both in body and mind). You will find your niche in life and your place in the world, hopefully with like minded people 'A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.' Good luck.