Testing, testing, testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
It's all over the news (I don't mean the new baby). Millions more people can now get - in truth, are 'eligible' for - a Covid-19 test. Hurrah, except it does not mean much when home testing kits are out of stock in minutes and the drive-in centres (more to follow soon) are inaccessible for so many people. Mobile testing centres might help but not yet. One can request testing if eligible but when it happens is another matter. I sincerely hope that the much trailed 'ramping up' of testing does become a reality but until it does this is another announcement that seems rather hollow.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Boris has said today that he 'bitterly regrets' the epidemic in care homes and the PPE problems. Meanwhile my mum is in a care home where a third of the residents have died and still the staff and residents await testing :mad:

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
I truly believe that when this all started and suddenly the state had to be responsible for what has largely been left to private enterprise to sort out they took a hard nosed decision to leave care and carehomes on the back burner as too costly. Plus of course the potential savings from care needs and pensions no longer not having to be funded. They call it priorities but we know it is a tragedy.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I read an item by a group of people who are fervent supporters of Boris Johnson. This suggested that deaths in care homes should not be counted or reported as the PM cannot be held responsible for the private sector. I have seen variations on this gaining currency in some quarters.
Wherever you sit on the political spectrum this sounds unbelievably callous. Hiding 'inconvenient' figures mitigates against proper epidemiological analysis and development of a proper long term strategy. I am saddened and astonished that anyone could write off older and other vulnerable people.

Status
Not open for further replies.