• We're currently experiencing technical issues with our newsletter software, so our Dementia Talking Point monthly updates have been put on hold for now. We hope to restart the newsletter soon.

Find out more >here<.

Testing testing 123

popp

Oct 31, 2014
essex
Mum had been wheezing for a couple of days so I rang the Drs and after four hours we had a Vi do call this was not great,the Dr advise i call 111 as " so sorry surgery now closed" ring 111 and ask for a home visit! After going through the endless check list i was told I would receive a phone call from the out of hours Dr which I did this is now 7.30 on i first rang surgery at 2.pm! "can I speak to your mother" he asks if course you can reply telling him that he won't get far so I pass the phone to mum who tells him about the different coloured cars outside! His response can you bring her to the surgery?no I reply i don't drive,can you get a taxi? no I haven't been out so have no money by now I'm fit to explode ok he says I will pass it to someone else!next phone call from our of hours "we can make an appointment for tomorrow what time suits you?I ask why she can't have a home visit apparently she isn't housebound (really) so the next day my sister and I struggle to get her in the car take her for appointment and the nurse practitioner h could not believe that we had brought her out she was very apologetic and rectified this on her notes that she must have a home visit,the Dr came out yesterday as no improvement and told me to prefer a civic test which arrived today and was impossible to carry out mum was terrified and so I rang the vivid helpline who's advise was to keep trying it phone social care!!!so I have sent the test back which has been bitten, grabbed and thrown on the floor so I wish them good luck with the results and hope they can find a better method!!!! Rant over

nae sporran

Volunteer Host
Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I won't type the first words that came to mind, but that is a horrendous experience for your mum, you and your sister @popp. Do you have POA for health and welfare, or is that a daft question. The only thing that might help would be a stern letter to the practice manager and to 111 service explaining what happened to hopefully make sure they are aware enough not to let it happen again, but otherwise I can only offer sympathy and hope the test is negative and your mum is better soon.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Shocking ! I’m so sorry you had to go through that shambolic farce . Our Gp wasn’t interested really so put mum down for a home visit which really wasn’t necessary . I agree with @nae sporran , I would be writing a letter to them.