1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Terry Pratchett's death has affected us both

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Sammyjo1, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Sammyjo1

Sammyjo1 Registered User

Jul 8, 2014
    OH is in early stages AlZ. He is 66 and is an academic who has retired but is still managing to write stuff.

We have been coping well with the diagnosis and getting on with life but learning of Terry Pratchett's death has hit us both hard but for different reasons. He says it's made him face the fact that he is on a path towards the end of his life and, for me, it's made me confront the fact that the bubble we're living in right now will burst.

Of course i always knew it would, but I didn't want to face it just now when things are generally going so well. And I know that each case is different.

But I'm feeling really sad and emotional today. I know these feelings won't last but it's good to be able to share them on here while they do.

2. Ash148

Ash148 Registered User

Jan 1, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hi SammyJo,

We in my family are feeling great sadness following Terry Pratchett's death also. He was such a strong advocate for the battle against this illness and such a great writer.

3. Acco

Acco Registered User

Oct 3, 2011
    His books were a great part in our sons early life, and as he has said they made him realise what books were for. We are saddened by his passing, in part because of what he tried to do in advancing knowledge and research into Alzheimer's.
    It is reported Terry Pratchett had a rare form of the disease.

4. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    I can identify clearly with what you are saying. For us it comes in the week my husband had his annual visit to the consultant. She saw a marked progression from last year. I asked her what stage she thinks he is in now and she said she thought he had recently moved from early stage to middle stage. I also asked if he is ultimately likely to die of, or with, Alzheimer's. Her answers have made me feel very emotional too. He is 68. It just made it all so real.

Having said that, life is still for living and for now, we can live it together. We are going to China next month. My mantra was not to spoil what we have today worrying about tomorrow. I'm getting back on track. Come join me back on track. We are still lucky. We will have our good and bad days and TP will be there for us on both kinds of days.

Hugs from me.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

5. Jeanie 73

Jeanie 73 Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    N Lincolnshire
    Terry's death also made me very sad, but it would seem to have been "The good death" he had hoped for, surrounded by his family. It also made me reflect that despite going through a better phase (With the exception of taking my dogs meds today) instead of my own! If we dwell to much on what our future may hold we miss the better times we are having at the moment! Wishing everyone sufferers and carers well as can be, Jeanie xxxxx

6. Optomistic

Optomistic Registered User

Jul 24, 2014
    Manchester
    I fee the same my husband is in the early stages and we are enjoying going out and on holiday in June. It did make me think of the future when i heard about Terry Pratchet dying but i try to live from day to day as everyone is different. Some people enjoy life for many years so i hope we are lucky.

7. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    My feelings exactly. My husband was diagnosed almost 14 years ago. We still do lots of stuff together. Not always easy but we manage. I hope you have many years to enjoy together.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point mobile app

8. Backy1

Backy1 Registered User

Aug 27, 2010
    The loss of Terry Pratchet has crystallised everything I have been trying to hold inside. My wonderful wife is just 50 and was diagnosed 5 years ago, but really her symptoms were there 2 years earlier. We are told that she is in the later stages, and I am with her constantly to care for her and love her. I have held out hope for a cure in all of this time, and have tried to keep strong for her and our children. Today we looked through old photo's, and I read to her the letters we have sent to each other since being young teenagers and have always kept. The cracks in my heart are finally breaking and I am filled with an overwhelming sadness at what I know is ahead. I feel so helpless to her and she is everything to me. Why can't we fight this disease and win at least sometimes?

9. truth24

truth24 Registered User

Oct 13, 2013
    North Somerset
    So sorry to read your posts, realising you are all so young. Not much help I know but am thinking of you.

Sent from my GT-N5110

10. Trisha4

Trisha4 Registered User

Jan 16, 2014
    Yorkshire
    Oh Backy, I am so sorry to read about your lovely wife. The bad bits are just so horrid, so unfair and so heartbreaking. The good bits are all the years you have shared, the happy memories you have made together and your children. We can't make the bad bits go away but I hope the good bits still come to the fore when they can and provide some comfort for your breaking heart. My thoughts are with you x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point