Terry Pratchett has Alzheimer's

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
At the risk of being hard-boiled about it ...

Apart from initial dismay, my second thought was along the lines of "the more high-profile people who come out about it, the more likelihood there is of it being taken more seriously by the world at large" (by which I suppose I mean NHS, Govt. Ministers who control the purse strings etc.)

Cymbaline

Aug 23, 2007
True. I saw a suggestion from a fan on a forum that fans should donate the price of a paperback to Alzheimer's research. I know that's not going to happen but it would be so great if they did. Every little bit helps.

It might also help change the perception that Alzheimer's is an old person's disease.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I always wonder what my response is when I hear such news. With the proviso that NO ONE should have to be diagnosed with this I swing wildly from hard-nosed (as in why not? so many other people get it) to shocked (such an awful thing to happen) to selfish (what - this is my favourite author - no more books??).

I suppose I end up in a state of hopeful resignation. Resignation because until there's a cure, this will be news that thousands of families hear every day and hopeful because the more famous people that are diagnosed, the less hidden it is.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
..............and the more intelligent the person is known to be, the less people will think of it as a `mental illness` of those with lower intellect, those whose brains have been allowed to be stagnate, the unprofessionals.

I must admit to being guilty of the `if you don`t use it, you lose it`, brigade. :eek: I soon realized it might apply to muscles, but definitely not to the brain.

IT_man

Dec 10, 2006
London
very sad

one my fav authors and I have been a fan since the early 80's - loved Colour of Magic and just kept buying...

My daughter just finished Wee Free Men and was also sad to hear this news.

Saw a discussion about this on another forum and someone had posted a link to www.alzheimers.org.uk to allow people to find out more.

Phil

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I love his own descriptive word for AD -- an 'embuggerance'.

I don't think any of us would argue with that!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
In a letter published on the website of artist Paul Kidby, the writer said the condition was behind a "phantom stroke" he had earlier this year.

What is '' phantom stroke '' I know what a stroke is , also meaning
of phantom , but why together .

Does it mean he thought he had a stroke , but really it was down to having AZ ?

Pardon me for if I sound ignorant .

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
You and me both Maggie. I vaguely remember reading something about him being taken ill earlier in the year, but this is a term I am not familiar with.

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
one my fav authors and I have been a fan since the early 80's - loved Colour of Magic and just kept buying...

Mine too, his books can be read on so many levels. As Jennifer said, I too swing between "oh how awful" and well why not? as thousands cope with this 'embuggerance'(I loved his description...)every day/week/year. More power to him for 'going public'. Such very sad news.

BeadieJay

I found this article from the Daily Mail which explains what he means by a phantom stroke.

Link

Basically, he had a stroke but didn't know it at the time. I remember being very interested in this article because this is what I believe has happened to my mum, though she still hasn't been officially diagnosed with anything.

Terry Pratchett is my husband's favourite author, we're all very shocked and upset here, the list of sufferers just keeps growing :(

Sydney

Dec 20, 2007
True. I saw a suggestion from a fan on a forum that fans should donate the price of a paperback to Alzheimer's research. I know that's not going to happen but it would be so great if they did. Every little bit helps.

You underestimate TPs fans.Lots of people I know are doing this. I myself am here because I was looking for a place to donate. I usually donate money to HIV&Aids charities instead of sending christmas cards, but this year I am going to donate the same amount to Alzheimers research too.