Terry Pratchett – Living With Alzheimer's

bucko

Jan 28, 2009
Widnes
Terry Pratchett

I watched this programme and I admire what Terry is doing for raising awareness of Alzhiemers. I will watch the next programme.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Get the dvd ready!!

Get the dvd ready just in case you can't watch tonight at 11.20 BEEB 2 - get called to do caring, too tired - or because you may want to watch it again.........Don't forget Terry P is on again for the second of two programmes tonight......

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thanks Bookworm for the reminder. At the moment I'm balancing so many balls in the air that I can't even remember my own name, let alone when a TV programme is being shown. I would probably have missed both these without you good people to remind me.

xxTinaT

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Thanks Bookworm for the reminder. At the moment I'm balancing so many balls in the air that I can't even remember my own name, let alone when a TV programme is being shown

I thank you also Bookworm for the reminder , as I was also like you Tina, trying to balance so many balls in the air, that now they are all on the floor at the moment and only pick up the one I want , but I still forget :eek: :D things .

PS 11.20........seem the time change also from last week !

Another PS

On my TV in london it says 21:00 --22:00

Last edited:

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
All helping to remember together!!

Thanks so much Margarita - according to BBC2 online it is 9 - 10 everywhere in UK except in Northern Ireland when it is approx 11.20/25 start (displaced fairly understandably by a vital qualifying live football match with San Marino - a tiny state in central Italy - apparently NI won against this small country last time they played them - embarassed i had to look up where it was...)

Found this on-line about tonight:

".......Terry Pratchett...........wants Alzheimer's to be sorry that it ever caught him. In the second of this two-part series, Terry confronts his future living with the disease. He travels to America to witness first-hand how they are coping with the 'tsunami of Alzheimer's', and meets the unlikely doctor who stumbled across a controversial new treatment that he claims produces remarkable results in minutes."

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
and meets the unlikely doctor who stumbled across a controversial new treatment that he claims produces remarkable results in minutes."

That must be about the injection that was shown at the ending of his last program last week .

He travels to America to witness first-hand how they are coping with the 'tsunami of Alzheimer's'

'tsunami of Alzheimer's'

Good word to use tsunami

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I don't know what's happening to the scheduling of programmes tonight!! Son just phoned to say England v Spain friendly is being shown on ITV at 7.30. Tuned in to find Corrie on!

I have Sky TV so I went down the listings and along the times to find when the Terry Pratchett doc was on and can't find any mention of it.

xxTinaT

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Spotted it Christine. I swear it couldn't be found earlier this evening. Think my specs need some attention!

Well, to be honest, it depends how good the England v Spain match is - which is just starting. If it's an exciting match, then I'll have to record Terry and watch another time.

xxTinaT

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
What a brilliant programme!

It was very informative, and also very moving in places. And it showed Terry Pratchett in a much more sympathetic light. I could feel his pain.

I was doubtful after last week's programme, but this one was something else!!!!:)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hazel - since I haven't been able to watch it - what did they say about the embrel injection? I'm guessing that was the injection that was looked at: the one to the spine?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
It was very informative, and also very moving in places.

yes I found that also, really brought the reality into it with the last brain Scan he had .

Now Spain England are playing, just after Terry program. Which leave me wondering who I want to win, so taking my mind of seeing that brain scan with lack of Oxygent, blood flowing around the back of Terry brain . Me thinking that is what happening to mt mother brain . I want a brain scan like that now, to make sure all my blood flowing around my brain correctly .

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Well I did doze off during the middle of the programme, but it was ok I thought.

What stood out for me was the statement made that "it is an equal opportunities disease" ... that is, anyone can get it and there is no prediction either of who will get it or of the speed of deterioration, but that with people living longer, more will get it.

I think the main benefit of the programme was that it was exposure of dementia. His may be a rare type but he was assured the end would be as for all other dementias.

CYN

Jan 4, 2008
east sussex
i wonder what Terry might think about some of the homes in UK if he was to visit:eek:he appeared to be quiet impressed with the one in USA .But as we know things are not all as they should be in all homes:eek:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I warmed to Terry more this week. I felt less bravado from him.

I was shocked by his brain scans and I think he was too. It looked far worse than he presented and made me wonder what Dhiren`s would be like.

I felt filming the injection was intrusive and frightening, but the face of the old man reminded me of Dhiren when he goes into an `episode` and then comes out of it. So perhaps the injection works, but for how long?

The person who seemed the most upset was his assistant. I felt the journey was really painful for him. Terry said he had hope, but I felt his assistant was in despair.

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
I think that most of the other programmes that have been on about dementia are only watched by people who have a loved one with the illness. This might have educated a wider range of people as they will have tuned in because it was Terry Pratchett.

However I thought that the programme unintentionally glamorised Alzheimer's as Terry is still very capable & has a lot of insight, also his jet setting & the plush care home for example we saw tonight (wonder how much a night that costs?) :eek:

The people he met up with this week again were all very aware & as eloquent as himself. Becky's Dad was obviously quite well down the line. I understand, the family most likely wanted to preserve his dignity so we weren't really shown that. He went for a check up on the progress of the illness, (was it every three months) My dad has been diagnosed with VAD for 17 months no one checks up on him. :(

I wasn't impressed with those injections, I think that man is on to a good thing for people with more money than sense. :rolleyes: I wondered what the purpose was of asking 'The Admiral' the time just before the injection. I was waiting for them to ask him again afterwards. Perhaps they did & edited it out if it was not better than the first time. Terry was surprised at how little time he was allowed with him post injection before they whisked him away.
One of Terry's last comments was about diagnosis & he said that afterwards people should not be shown the door, but a path. :) So even he realises that you don't get a lot of help.

I wonder how long his assistant will stay I think he is struggling with the illness.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hazel - since I haven't been able to watch it - what did they say about the embrel injection? I'm guessing that was the injection that was looked at: the one to the spine?

They showed the injection being given, and there was supposed to be a great improvement. There was some improvement in that the man looked brighter, but we all know that that does happen anyway -- certainly it does with John. They didn't actually show any change in ability. They asked the man the time before the injection, which he couldn't answer properly -- but then thay didn't ask again afterwards.

TP also spoke to the man's son, who said there wasn't really any improvement, but no decline either, so why not?

TP then asked what really was the point in prolonging life at that stage, and I have to say I agree! (The man was a retired admiral, aged 88)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Jennifer, I've got both programmes recorded, and could make you copies, but is your DVD system the same as ours? I don't think it is.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Thanks Hazel but it you're correct - it isn't. Bruce is going to see if he can work his magic :)

It sounds much like I expected re the injection - a lot of hype but not much substance.

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
I cannot begin to describe how I feel about this particular programme.

I work my asre off trying to improve the world of dementia; I am not a multi-millionaire but still I have to ask and beg for help.

Why did the one and only care home featured in the programme just have to be in the US? Most motels in the US have been years ahead of any motel/hotel/b&b in the UK for many many years. So it is hardly surprising that their "Grey Power" has progressed the care home situation.

If only we had a similar Grey Power force, being able to achieve what they have achieved in the US.

Sir TP has a permanent carer by his side, his minder, his PA. Who may well be the "shadow" that Sir Terry Pratchett keeps talking about.

His PA is also told not to ask questions!

Sorry, but this programme has depressed me. Because it has done nothing to encourage an understanding of what most of us meet within one, two, three years or more of Dementia.

So, "What's it all about, Alfie"? I for one do not know.

Apart from the word Alzheimer's having being used, as a hook.