Terry Pratchett – Living With Alzheimer's

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
There are two programmes coming on BBC TWO on 4th February and 11th February.

They look as if they will make fascinating watching and learning.

Perhaps we can try to place as many of our comments in this single thread as possible, when the programme time comes along [or before]. When we concentrate our posts about programmes such as it seems these will be, it provides great feedback for the Alzheimer's Society, for the programme makers, and for new visitors coming to read about it here.

Details of the programmes:

FIRST PROGRAMME

Terry Pratchett – Living With Alzheimer's:
Wednesday 4 February
9.00-10.00pm BBC TWO
www.bbc.co.uk/headroom

Bestselling author Sir Terry Pratchett is 60 years old and has early-onset Alzheimer's disease – but he is committed to tackling this terrifying illness head on.

In the first of a two-part series as part of BBC Headroom, BBC Two's documentary strand focusing on mental health and wellbeing, Terry confronts his uncertain future and faces living in a world, ultimately, without words.

Following Terry's progress through his first year with Alzheimer's, he explores some cutting-edge science and often quite weird treatments. He also reveals what it's like to be diagnosed with the disease and how it is already affecting both his personal and public life.
More information about both programmes: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2009/wk5/feature_alzheimers.shtml

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I'm going to be very interested in what he makes of what I assume, from the description in the link above, is the embrel treatment (that's the injection in the spinal column).

I do wish I could get this programme over here, but I guess I'll have to wait for it.

andyshoestring

Feb 4, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi, I've just watched Terry Pratchett on the BBC and it has helped me make the decision to tell mum that she has Alzheimer's. As Terry say "you can't fight the demon until you say it's name"...and I suppose it will open the door to more support for me as I am her sole carer.

I'm new to the forum so will come here more often and chaat!

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
i watched terry patchett, it all seemed a bit sureal to me, is this the same desease my trev has,one sentence terry made connected with me, but one bottle of wine later cannot fot the life of me remember what it was, this desease effects everyone so differently, i apreciate alzhiemers been brought to the publics attention but this programme did not show day to day living with ad as it really is, i am still gratfull that terry has decided to make this public but it is a sanotised version of ad

beech mount

Sep 1, 2008
Manchester
If it got people watching who know nothing of AZ and makes them think and ask questions,it is good,i liked his positive atitude.
John.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We watched Terry Pratchett together. Well I watched Terry Pratchett and my husband spent 40 minutes trying to put a tie on.

I found it hard to relate to Terry. I felt he was putting on a very brave face, trying to make light of the his dementia, and only showing his real face when the dementia took over.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I have just watch it .

Is there another program about it follow on ?

As it ended with terry saying about how there an injection for AZ, how Terry wanted to try it out .

I was amazed to see how terry had such a good brain scan that told him about PCT how it affects his sight then effecting ability to tie his tie, reading writing .

Also about giving the Ant the AZ gene and them curing it .

I found it all very interesting. Very Informative .

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Grannie G said:
I found it hard to relate to Terry.
me too, because his experience, because of the variant he has, is so different from Jan's.

I know nothing of Terry or his books, but I found the programme moving, because here was a very intelligent person [and others on there too], trying to make sense of it all. Occasional electric sparks of humour [mole!] were great. I felt, rather than heard, a clock ticking for him.

Don't forget the second part, next week.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Cat among pigeons

I did watch most of it.
I lost interest, half way through, so did Ron.

This was TerryX, talking about alzheimers.
This was not Ron or I, talking about Alzheimers.
Big, BIG difference.
We live in the real world.

Barb & Ron XX

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
I agree, I SO agree

this desease effects everyone so differently, i apreciate alzhiemers been brought to the publics attention but this programme did not show day to day living with ad as it really is, i am still gratfull that terry has decided to make this public but it is a sanotised version of ad

Barb & Ron XX

angela.robinson

Dec 27, 2004
You have to realise this is very early stages of a rare form of AD that terry has , the end stages will be very very different, i know this from experience,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
We live in the real world.

I don't want to come across negative , but what left an impression on me was
where we can't get brain scans. like the brain Scan he had where amazing, telling him where the disease was effecting him in the brain.

Just go to show the tecknowledge is out there, to detect it in an early stage from a brain scan.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Barb - Terry Pratchett may have more money than God and that will make certain aspects of care much easier, but to say he doesn't live in the real world is just being offensive. Anyone who has dementia deserves better than that.

ulsterbabe

Feb 4, 2009
Co Down, N Ireland
Just wondered what ppl thought of the show........

i ahve just been interview by bbc radio ulster for a piece they are running on tomorrows show about the local health service and if they are doing enough for the community in coping with the disease.

my father sufferes frontal lobe AD but I still found the show interesting and the bit where he was having problems putting his tie on did make me laugh, it reminded me of the beginning with Dad and when he used to do quirky things!! Oh how times change!!

any way what did ya all think of the show???
:cool::cool::cool::cool: