Terrified I will get Alzheimer's

Rach2310

Aug 22, 2020
I know it's selfish but my Dad got sever alzheimers very quickly and it just occurred to me that this greatly increases my risk of getting it. I'm 34. Maybe I have 30 years left. I'm going to be healthier and fitter which I am anyway but it won't hurt to try and reduce the risk. I just hope my little girl doesn't have to go through this with me. I want to be old and crumbly and know my grandchildren. So scared.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes @Rach2310 , my mum had Alzheimers too and I know it increases my risk, but really, no-one knows what triggers it off and exactly what happens. Yes, I might develop it in 20 years or so, or I might die of covid, or a road accident, a stroke, heart attack or cancer. Who knows? Anything can happen in 20 years. They might even develop a cure for it.

The best thing is to live your life in the best way possible as we none of us know what the future holds.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
The university of Tasmania does some fab online courses, and they are free of charge. The link below mentions 2018 but if you click on it it is correct for 2020.

It is not unusual to have the fear, most people just don’t talk about it. you have the joys of menopause ahead of you yet, just being a youngster, That isn’t fun ! how many times can one person say ‘ now where are my car keys’!

If you look at the advances in medicine by the time you get there hopefully we will be saying ‘ can you remember when all those people used to get dementia?
Fingers crossed!

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Every single one of us dreads getting Alzheimer’s or any other kind of dementia. We still have to live our lives as if we are going to live forever because we can’t predict the future. Don’t waste your precious youth.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Who knows what the future holds @Rach2310 ? I think everyone fears the future at one time or another, particularly during a sleepless night. Best to focus on the now and make the best of what we do have. I love your phrase "I want to be old and crumbly and know my grandchildren". You are obviously holding on to your sense of humour. That is paramount. Thanks for making me smile :).

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
My Mum was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and I also feel absolutely terrified and dread the thought of being a burden to my husband. Fortunately I don’t have children so at least I won’t have passed this onto anyone else. As I have a difficult relationship with my Mum I don’t want to spend my remaining healthy years caring for her only to end up with the same disease. I feel incredibly angry about what’s happened at the moment.

Rach2310

Aug 22, 2020
Yes @Rach2310 , my mum had Alzheimers too and I know it increases my risk, but really, no-one knows what triggers it off and exactly what happens. Yes, I might develop it in 20 years or so, or I might die of covid, or a road accident, a stroke, heart attack or cancer. Who knows? Anything can happen in 20 years. They might even develop a cure for it.

The best thing is to live your life in the best way possible as we none of us know what the future holds.
Thank you everyone. That is all very true. I needed to hear that. It is the advice I would give someone but its not always easy listening to yourself. Feeling a bit better

Ruth1974

Dec 26, 2018
I know it's selfish but my Dad got sever alzheimers very quickly and it just occurred to me that this greatly increases my risk of getting it. I'm 34. Maybe I have 30 years left. I'm going to be healthier and fitter which I am anyway but it won't hurt to try and reduce the risk. I just hope my little girl doesn't have to go through this with me. I want to be old and crumbly and know my grandchildren. So scared.
Yes, my husband has early onset alzheimers which has more of a genetic link. The thought that i could live to see my kids get it turns my stomach. However, as with many diseases that have a genetic link there are things that will lower risk; diet, exercise, weight, an active mind and so on. Your genes are only a small part of it.

imthedaughter

Apr 3, 2019
We all share this fear! We are the same age. I have read a lot though which gives me hope it's not genetic. I am also a lot more careful with my diet and general health than dad was - what else can we do except try to seize all the opportunity life provides?

Bay21

Jul 31, 2013

I am so with you on this. My Dad and my Nan (mums mum) have Alzheimer's/dementia and I do worry about getting it too, I am also your age. I haven't really experienced anyone close to me growing old without Dementia and I worry for myself and the other members of my family because from a completely selfish point of view, I am concerned about being in a caring position again. I also worry for my boys and I can't ever imagine forgetting any moment of their lives. I try not to spend too much time worrying about it but I have put more effort into keeping journals for them and doing photobooks. I think my experience with Dad has made me a bit more conscious in terms of "life admin" to make sure everything is prepared should anything, not just Dementia, be on the horizon for me.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I worry about the genetic element too but having said that my mum had Alzheimer’s and her identical twin sister did not. They both had vascular dementia but my aunt didn’t lose herself in the same way that my mum did, her symptoms were mainly (But not entirely) physical .

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
There can't be many who have cared for someone with dementia who hasn't had the thought, 'Will I get it one day?'

For me, mum had dementia as did her mum, my gran. I also think my father was in the early stages but he died in his late 60s (from other things) so we don't know for sure. My brother and I are both convinced we will get it.

As others have said, in the end there isn't much you can do. Healthy living is great and may prevent you getting other diseases and live longer, but don't forget, the biggest risk factor for getting dementia is simply being very old. And we all have to die of something, as my mother was fond of saying. What you can do is make sure things are in place that will help. As soon as lockdown is eased a little I will be off to the solicitor to sort out my will, LPA and and Advance Directive. I've also had discussions already with my 2 children so they are fully aware of my wishes should the worst happen.

I'm older than you - 60. Mum's dementia started when she was around 75 as far as I know so I reckon I've got 15 years... I may be wrong. But actually, losing mum to dementia has made me look at my life and I am determined to enjoy whatever time I have left, rather than just let the years tick by.

LouJT

Aug 12, 2020
I totally understand where your coming from, I’m 32 and my mum has early onset and is 59. I also helped care for my grandma. I have also started looking after myself better and it has really opened my eyes to overall health. I try and live for everyday but difficult when you can see changes in your loved one everyday. Take care x

Jan L

Mar 26, 2020
I totally agree with everything which has been said on this thread, My Father in Law starting behaving out of character in this late 50's, and took early retirement at 61, this was back in the early 1970's so no brain scans to confirm what was going on, the GP put it down to "nerves" and prescribed Vallium which he got addicted to when they tried to take him off it. He died at the age of 80. My Mother in Law developed Dementia in her mid/late 80's and died at 92, Vascular Dementia was the cause of death on her Death Certificate. I recognised the signs in my Husband when he was in his late 50's, he refused to get a diagnosis until 5 1/2 years ago when the combined Alzheimer's/Vascular Dementia was diagnosed as moderate/severe, he is 77 and he is more or less mute now and unable to find his way around the house. I fear for my 2 Sons, I really would not have had children had I realised what might be in front of them. I know they are concerned about it the older one said recently that he may have less than 10 years left before he gets it. I try to reassure him that he has two parents and there is no history on my side of Dementia so he must hope he follows my side. Having said that, my Husband's Grandparents lived to 89 and didn't have it, my Father in Law's Sister (my Husband's Auntie) was okay, she died at 93 and was still driving. My Brother in Law also seems okay he is in his early 70's. As has already been said, it is no good worrying take each day at a time and make the best of it, we don't know what the future holds for any of us.