Tenancy succession...will it ever happen!

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
It's been over a month since I sent in the change of circumstance form to the council regarding mums tenancy and even though the housing officer turned up the following day to talk to mum (carer was there and told her that mum was unable to answer questions due to Alzheimer's) she has not tried to contact me since...no letters, phone calls or anything. Have been battling with council tax for some time and the rents team too...it's like they don't want my money. Was hoping to succeed the tenancy but a month has passed and no progress as yet, it's almost not worth it, I'm sinking fast and don't know how much longer I can cope with this living hell ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Kazza try and chase them . It took ages with the council tax for us and I rung them once a week ! Same with housing department, ring them every Monday . I know it's a pain having to chase but eventually you will get somewhere xxx

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Thanks Chick. When I got advice from the CAB I felt optimistic and upbeat but as the weeks have passed with no progress I feel like I am going to be forced to ensure this for so much longer.

One the upside, my niece gave birth to a love baby girl on Thursday and gave her my mums name as a middle name.

Everyone around me is getting on with their lives and mine seems to have stopped

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thanks Chick. When I got advice from the CAB I felt optimistic and upbeat but as the weeks have passed with no progress I feel like I am going to be forced to ensure this for so much longer.

One the upside, my niece gave birth to a love baby girl on Thursday and gave her my mums name as a middle name.

Everyone around me is getting on with their lives and mine seems to have stopped

It's so difficult my lovely , most of us are struggling ! On the other side , no news might be good news with council! Xxx

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I'll get chasing tomorrow...I can't continue for much longer caring for my mum, the thought of no release from my pathetic life (and it is) is making me lose the will to live. I am the only one helping mother with the exception of the carer coming in twice a day Monday to Friday, but it's me and only me scrubbing the poops off the doors, floors and walls and listening to the constant question of "when and I going home" which is on constant loop, the smell despite my constant cleaning, the not being able to go out except for when she's in bed asleep, and destroying everything she gets her hands on. I just want a quiet life with no bacteria festering in my home...just having a selfish moment but to be fair I've been putting others first for years, it's time I looked after me now

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
When I was getting nowhere ( not with the council but the LA) I sent a letter to my MP. I got a very quick response from his office and miraculously things started to happen. Might be worth a try.
Tre
PS My MP and I are not of the same political persuasion but this made no difference to his helping me

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Thanks Tre, I have considered that route as have used it in the past many years ago. Will give it 4 weeks of chasing and see what happens

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I'll get chasing tomorrow...I can't continue for much longer caring for my mum, the thought of no release from my pathetic life (and it is) is making me lose the will to live. I am the only one helping mother with the exception of the carer coming in twice a day Monday to Friday, but it's me and only me scrubbing the poops off the doors, floors and walls and listening to the constant question of "when and I going home" which is on constant loop, the smell despite my constant cleaning, the not being able to go out except for when she's in bed asleep, and destroying everything she gets her hands on. I just want a quiet life with no bacteria festering in my home...just having a selfish moment but to be fair I've been putting others first for years, it's time I looked after me now

Kazza, nobody can make you look after your mum! Maybe tell SS you need respite or you step back! That should get them going! You gonna burn out and everyone needs a break !!! Worried about you xxx

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I will be ok as I always bounce back, just feeling battered at the moment, it's a tough battle we are all fighting... Just fed up with it right now, maybe my hormones are at me

How are things your end? Hubby ok?

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
I will be ok as I always bounce back, just feeling battered at the moment, it's a tough battle we are all fighting... Just fed up with it right now, maybe my hormones are at me

How are things your end? Hubby ok?

Yeah just the usual ;) hope you will get that reply from council soon :) wishing you a calmer afternoon xxx

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Thankfully these days she likes to go to bed around 7 so I can crack on with things then

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
If I were you I would ring them up tomorrow, ask for the housing officer dealing with your area.....and find out where the application is up to, how long it will take, and what is the next step?

Ask to speak to a manager if you get no answers, and don't be afraid to escalate to chief executive for answers...trust me they won't like that,and you will quickly see some progression.

I think you have waited long enough without even the curtesy of an acknowledgment, but please do push on or you may get nowhere.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
Thanks Diane. The phone line is open from 8am tomorrow so will start early. I just need to know if they will assign the tenancy to me or if I have to get a solicitor to act on mums behalf...

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I can understand your frustration and problems you are having. I just wondered if the delay is caused by the council having an issue with your Mum not having capacity to make decisions and therefore is she able to assign the tenancy to you? I am not sure if this is how it works and that is their thinking. Are you an appointee for your Mum's state benefits? I am assuming you don't have POA or you would have told them that. I would make sure you get the tenancy assigned before your Mum goes into care.

I would say to involve a local councillor rather than the MP as they are au fait with council matters and may be able to help in dealings with the housing department. Perhaps, especially find one who is on the housing committee.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
It could very well be that when they came out to see your Mum they found she maybe unable to make such decisions.......but that's no excuse for not at least talking to you.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I am appointee but do not have POA. They should still contact me though even if mum has no capacity. CAB told me to appoint a solicitor to assign mums behalf of council won't assign...it's all confusing, feeling sick of it all...I have a nasty feeling this is going to take a long time to sort

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I would have thought appointeeship was sufficient for you to act on your mother's behalf. There hasn't been a previous succession from your father to your mother, has there? As Diane says, there is no excuse for them not to contact you and let you know what is going on.

Kazza72

Feb 10, 2015
West London
I will chase it in the morning. I did chase when it chased about rent and council tax and they said it was in the system so it has been logged, I guess I will have to keep bugging them, perhaps they have massive backlog of queries hence delay