Tempting their taste-buds

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Pamaris

It must be so difficult for you, watching your mum waste away like that. What a shock to discover she has had an eating disorder for all that time.

I imagine it must be firmly fixed in her brain that not eating is 'normal', and getting beyond that is going to be so difficult. I wonder if sedatives would help? Don't know, just a thought.

I can't really offer you any solutions, just lots of sympathy.

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Parmaris, maybe what you need to do is reverse the process mentioned above: make a "quality" soup and have an empty "imitation" soup packet to wave around :)

Have you mentioned the bulimia to the doctor? Not that I think a great deal can be done about it at this stage in the game: to change the pattern of almost 20 years you have to have the desire and the memory to make the change, and that doesn't sound likely.

We've had threads in the past regarding how to get calories into unwilling eaters although I'm not sure how much help the information is in your situation. Adding extra cream to a cream soup is all well and good, but might upset her digestion more. I don't know whether it is available in the UK (from a health food store) but have you investigated protein powder as a possible addition? 1 Tablespoon of this stuff has 10g of protein.

pamaris

Jun 17, 2007
Thanks... we've thought of bulking up her milkshakes... I bet I can get my hands on some protein powder. I have given her some real (homemade) soup... she did eat it but come to think of it after that she had a "bad night".

I'm going to make some quiches tomorrow and a cheese & onion pie, which she loves. I'll see how that goes down (and whether it comes up again!):(

I've not yet discussed it with the GP, since I just had it confirmed today. Needless to say, it's going on the "list" of things to discuss with the psychiatrist... Since we started suspecting that something is not right with her neurologically, I've been speaking to all her friends and family, gathering bits and pieces of information of how she's interacted with them over the past 18 months. Just found out that for the last year of her working life (up to December 06) she would go in to work, then come around 11 AM she would say she wasn't well and go home. She would do this a few times a week! Then at 5:15 PM when she was supposed to get home, she'd call her cousin and say "Hiya, I've just got home from work..."

We're in the early stages yet... just at the point where we are putting 2 and 2 together. We know something is wrong and we are just trying to figure out how far back it goes. Not that it would change anything to know... but I guess we all try and make sense of a senseless situation.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Pamaris Must be hard when its your mother in law , then your own mother when trying to find out her back ground in eating .

I am just finding out how my mother interacted with people she new , only lately as I keep bumping into mum english friends of late , she was always trying to get my mother to go swimming with her & her friends , but mum would never go always making excuses not to go .

she said that one day in conversation with my mother she use a swear word , she said mum face look shock, so told me my mother was a hard person to get on with and a prude .

I said yes you do seem open then my mother

then I told her yes I always remember mum coming back from work crying , because she had a argument with a English woman at work . I also said mum came to england when she was 26 ( hint hint ). .

Then thought when I got home I Just should of told her it was because of mum culture , was different

But I did not want the woman to think I took offense in what she said , because its nice hearing , listening how people perceive my mother to be now I am older ) because I always remember mum never getting on with anyone who was an english woman , bless her mum back then use to do my head in about all her friends that she make , then fall out with , then telling me not to say hello to them if I saw them , but they where all so nice to me !

Last edited: