Temporary residential care for eoAD

Discussion in 'Younger people with dementia and their carers' started by Sarahdun, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    Has anybody had any success in finding temporary residential care for somebody under 60 with early onset Alzheimer's disease?

I would really like to find something for between 2 and 14 nights for my OH who is at the moderate stage. Cannot be left alone over night, but still physically strong and active and reasonably aware if confused about daily tasks. I only found one care home in my county who would take anyone unde 65 and they would not take my OH because they felt they might abscond.

Any advice?

2. JigJog

JigJog Registered User

Nov 6, 2013
    I have exactly the same problem and just cannot find residential respite for my OH who has early onset Alzheimer's.

I have had to ask family to help out for a couple of nights.

My OH is also fit and active and loves to walk on the hills. I have now found an agency which can provide someone who is going to take him out walking on the hills. If this works, I am hoping that they will be able to help with respite care in our home in the future.

Good luck x

3. Sarahdun

Sarahdun Registered User

May 18, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. My situation is almost identical to yours, even to the hill walking. Would love to know the name of the agency. I also ask family, but for once I would like to spend a day or two with family without everything being focused on the PWD. I know that sounds hard, but other family members have needs too.

4. JigJog

JigJog Registered User

Nov 6, 2013
    I know exactly where you are coming from with this. I'll PM you about the agency.

Best wishes,
    JigJog x