Temperature confusion

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
My lovely mum, like most elderly people, especially those with dementia, has always felt the cold acutely. The central heating is always turned up fully and the electric fire is on, even during a heatwave. Mum wears several jumpers and has blankets over her knees and often a hotwater bottle tucked behind her back for good measure.
Last week however on, a bitterly cold day, she was found sat in the porch the external door open in just light indoor clothes as she was "sunbathing". It wasn't even one of those bright, cold but sunny days, where the sun could have confused her into thinking it was summer.
She is often very confused about the seasons, but I found this behaviour really strange.

Mum lives alone but my brother or myself are there most of the day with her and she doesn't really go out by herself, so I am not unduly worried about her wandering out inadequately clothed.

I just wondered if anyone knew whether people with dementia can lose the ability to actually feel what the temperature is ?

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Yes, definitely. Left to their own devices most would dress inappropriately for any weather. It's good you're there often to oversee this.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
That is the case. My mum lives with me so I can be sure that she is dressed correctly. Thankfully she has lots of woollen cardigans and cotton tops and she now wears trousers rather than skirts, when wearing skirts there was a tendency not to put tights or socks on.

In my youth I often wondered why my grandmother wore a hat in the house, Now I know why! Mum's hands are often cold, so I let her wear soft woollen gloves in the house, they don't hinder anything she does and it seems to comfort her.

Cybersis

Nov 7, 2017
When my mother first started getting sick she had a problem adjusting her body temperature. She would go back forth on the ac and heater unit. She would get the house really hot and then turn on the ac. Once the house got cold, she would turn on the heater. So I guess this is part of the dementia.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Cold hands can also be a sign of poor circulation - my mother suffers with this. I wondered about getting her one of those heated soft toys - like a furry hot water bottle, but wasn't sure the home would want to keep microwaving it, or if it would be safe.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Cold hands can also be a sign of poor circulation - my mother suffers with this. I wondered about getting her one of those heated soft toys - like a furry hot water bottle, but wasn't sure the home would want to keep microwaving it, or if it would be safe.

Poor circulation is probably it for my mum, but she has always had cold hands! I did try what you suggested, problem was that mum would not keep holding it, in fact she would always give it to her dog! The gloves work well especially if warmed up first and she does love wearing them. When I take them off just to check her hands are warm, she immediately puts them back on. I have 3 pairs and they are very soft

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
Thankyou everyone for your replies.
I was just amazed how someone who is always so cold, could suddenly sunbathe on a freezing cold day.
Thinking about it though, when I have stayed the night, mum often wanders around in just a thin nightie, when the house is quite cool, refusing to wear a dressing gown, so I guess there is just no logic to it.

brambles

Nandi

Mar 20, 2018
Grimsby
Yes my husband is always cold but won't wear correct clothes even when told want heating on all time bills where very up this year. Also has tablets from doctors for poor circulation .been to Alzheimer's tea and biscuits afternoon more for my benefit read out wordsworths poem daffodils

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi, I have the same with Mum, she can have hot flushes, clothes come off then be cold and need layers on.
Her hands go from warm to cold too.
I did read somewhere ( sorry, I can’t remember where) that PWD bodies loose the ability to regulate body temperature.
I took a deep sigh when I read that and carried on. X

gotanybiscuits?

Jan 8, 2017
the beautiful south
Another 'yes'.
My Dad has seemed to cope reasonably this winter - since I've been on-site.
But, he still often wears an extra coat or two, often indoors, irrespective of the temperature.
The last few months, on sunny days, he's taken to going outdoors in just shirt & jumper - oblivious to ice or snow!
Pulling the curtains every time the sun comes out doesn't help :confused:
And I've received several stern warnings about avoiding sunstroke :mad::rolleyes:

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Hi, I have the same with Mum, she can have hot flushes, clothes come off then be cold and need layers on.
Her hands go from warm to cold too.
I did read somewhere ( sorry, I can’t remember where) that PWD bodies loose the ability to regulate body temperature.
I took a deep sigh when I read that and carried on. X

I have read this as well.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
OH had a funny turn last summer where her left foot was hot and her right foot was cold. She has circulation problems due to lymphedema and diabetes, but the doctor and the podiatrist could not work that one out. It settled down again fairly quickly too.
I don't think that helps you, just one of life's mysteries with dementia.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix