Temperamental Mouse.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Keyboard probably does not have a trackpad, a rectangular area where you can control the pointer by gestures.
eg
keyboard-touch-combo.jpg

Is it only vertical scrolling that does not work?
Do other gestures work?

The top of the mouse has a grid of sensors and sends the position of your finger(s) at set time intervals allowing the software on the iMac to sort out your request.
If some gestures work and others don't , especially if only one fails, it's more likely a software fault than the mouse sending incorrect data. It could be a failure to send complex data.

As an aside the name bluetooth was coined by Ericsson, they named it after a legendary Danish king who had ability to persuade waring nations to settle differences by negotiations instead of conflict.
Paired bluetooth devices can communicate with each other using the same frequency band as other pairs without conflict using the same frequency - until they don't!!!

This frequency band (2.4GHz) is used by all microwave ovens and most WiFi so it can get crowded occasionally upsetting the pairing.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Ah! i had one of those with my iMac. Changed it to a Lenovo wireles one and ne'er a hint of trouble from that day on.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Could be driver(s) not reloading correctly on waking.
Does how you wake it make any difference?
Nothing wrong with not using sleep, in fact rebooting gives everything a clean start.
If you want to diagnose there should be some log to see what's happening, it may show errors loading drivers - event viewer in Windows.

Went looking and found

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Does how you wake it make any difference?

I`m not sure yet.

I`ll refer to this Thread if/when I have any more problems. Thanks for all your support.

I have now had notice my landline will be going digital. Something else to get used to.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If you get a wireless, as opposed to bluetooth, mouse you will have to use a dongle.
If you usb socket is type C you will also need an adapter unless you can find a type C dongle.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I have now had notice my landline will be going digital. Something else to get used to.
If you have phone and broadband with BT , most likely as you have received notice, and happy to stay with them just select the broadband speed you want with 'digital voice'
You will then have this choice
2021-11-16_113703.png

If you keep your existing phone you won't notice any difference.

Disadvantage is that your phone number will be in a walled garden and unless Ofcom get out a very big stick you won't be able to port it to a different supplier.

Until you move to FTTH (fibre to the home) everything is tied to your phone number, on FTTP there will be a CBT (connectorised block terminal) either on a pole or underground pre allocated for your address, everything is now tied to this.

With so many people ditching their land line several CPs (communication providers) are not offering an equivalent to BT digital voice and just concentrating on providing an ethernet connection.

This can be overcome by plugging an ATA (analogue phone adapter) eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cisco-ATA-186-phone-adapter/dp/B000IFRSIE
into the router and using a third part VOIP (voice over internet protocol) provider.
eg https://www.sipgatebasic.co.uk/?_ga=2.140233203.1581201673.1637064580-1389585951.1637064579

Timing of moving to FTTH and porting number to the VOIP provider is critical to avoid loss of number.

<I can see my CBT on a pole across the road, I'm not with BT and haven't got the letter, if I move to BT (unlikely) they will pay early exit fee from my current provider who as yet do not offer FTTH , I'm devising a strategy that gives me FTTH with third party voice so I can switch VOIP provider and/or internet provider at will>

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Thanks again @nitram.

Instead of leaving it on sleep overnight I`m trying to shut it down completely and so far so good.
This may be the key. Over time, bits of stuff can become corrupted, though often not in a big way. Turning off your computer - a proper turn off, not a re-start, will often re-set minor problems. because the system checks a lot of stuff when it reboots.

Ha! I'm amused by my completely non-technical reply following @nitram's acronym-rich description of the coming New Phone System ?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Another point about the phone change is that you will have rely on a mobile phone if there is a power cut unless you have a BBU (battery backup unit) fitted.

This also applies to house alarms/fall detectors/personal alarms/.... that use the land line phone system, they will have to be fitted with a BBU or converted to use the mobile phone signal. A few may need the actual copper connection.
Best to contact suppliers of anything you have and see what they say about your upcoming change of phone system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatherinlaw