Tell Me Something Cheery Please!

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
I thought I was doing all right. Even though it's grey and cold and even though COVID numbers have exploded again. Even though I've helped with dad's personal care for all but maybe10 days since March. Even though he'd been in hospital for 3 weeks in Nov and that was very stressful. Even though my 70 year old mother seems to have become some anti-vaxxer thanks to youtube and isn't wanting the covid vaccine.

I thought I was doing OK despite all that. But since Tuesday Dad has had a horrible, horrible squiffy stomach (if you get my meaning) and yep. I have lost my sense of humour entirely.

?

Please tell me something joyful, funny, lovely, happy, cheery! Doesn't matter how big or small.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Ah, the old squiffy stomach routine. I remember it well. Not what you need when someone isn't very mobile.

I recommend listening to some of the old "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" on youtube, back when Humphrey Lyttleton was running the show. Delightfully silly and have got me through some dark times.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Sorry you have had such a horrible time @Kay111. Last week when we both had to be tested for Covid and advised to stay in completely 'til the results came in, so I imposed on the lady who does some of our shopping to get us more than usual. She gave us a wee bunch of daffies to brighten up the place. It fair made my day and thankfully we were given the all clear.
I hope you too can find a wee glimmer of light in the dark.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband is shielding and i cant go out due to mobility problems. the one thing that puts a smile on my face is when the neighbour puts my papers through my door. my husband used to walk up and get them for me. little things makes life that much better.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@lemonbalm - not what is needed at all! We've narrowed the cause down to some banana bread so we didn't give him any today. Hopefully that should be the end of it!

@nae sporran aaah, that's SO lovely. daffs are so cheery too, aren't they?! they really brighten up the place. I used to have a neighbour who was taking a bread baking course but had some sort of intolerance. Every week she'd come knocking on our door with whatever she'd made that week. We felt like the luckiest people on the planet :)

@jennifer1967 it really is the little kind things, isn't it. it sounds like you have really lovely neighbours :)

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Oh I hope so! I was just thinking of you and remembering when I was looking after mum with no help, run ragged, not sleeping, spending every day with her, doing everything. It all feels so relentless sometimes. In a rare lucid and peaceful moment, mum asked me if I was going to have children (I'm heading for 60). I said "Oh I don't think I'll bother now mum" and she said "Probably for the best. I've found having children extremely disappointing".

It still makes me laugh.

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
Oh dear!! Charming!! ?

Whenever I go in at the moment I usually pop a mask on but before I do I wave hello and smile at dad just so he knows its a familiar, friendly face behind the mask. Today I did my little routine and after dad looked to one side and said "well who was that then?" I had to laugh really.

Dad calls everyone he doesn't know "that bloke" (regardless of gender. When he was in hospital all docs and nurses, folks on telly are all "that bloke") so when he said " who was that then?" I said "its just that bloke again, dad. Dont worry". (I am not a bloke! ?)

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hubby has just been wandering round the bungalow with a torch- pointing it into the corners etc. I said 'what are you looking for?'- he said 'I'm looking for that woman who does all the shouting'. That's got to be me nobody else has been in for weeks! I said 'oh I've kicked her out'! So he's back watching telly now lol.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband calls his dementia clock/ prompt that nagging woman by the way she sounds. when i went out to an appt we set it up so he remembered to eat.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I thought I was doing all right. Even though it's grey and cold and even though COVID numbers have exploded again. Even though I've helped with dad's personal care for all but maybe10 days since March. Even though he'd been in hospital for 3 weeks in Nov and that was very stressful. Even though my 70 year old mother seems to have become some anti-vaxxer thanks to youtube and isn't wanting the covid vaccine.

I thought I was doing OK despite all that. But since Tuesday Dad has had a horrible, horrible squiffy stomach (if you get my meaning) and yep. I have lost my sense of humour entirely.

?

Please tell me something joyful, funny, lovely, happy, cheery! Doesn't matter how big or small.
Please have a look at my The Lighter Side Of Alzheimers Thread and enjoy yourself. Feel free to have a laugh!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hubby has just been wandering round the bungalow with a torch- pointing it into the corners etc. I said 'what are you looking for?'- he said 'I'm looking for that woman who does all the shouting'. That's got to be me nobody else has been in for weeks! I said 'oh I've kicked her out'! So he's back watching telly now lol.
Now how were you able to kick yourself out? ???

MaNaAk

Kay111

Sep 19, 2019
@lemonbalm - all good on the...erm...squiffy front! hurrah! (and phew). I don't think I could have done another day with any kind of forebearance.

AbbyGee

Nov 26, 2018
Portsmouth, South Coast
Cheery, cheery, good and bright today. Up before the crack of noon.

A robin on the fence, magpies in sightline, seagulls circling, some straggly little plants seem to be making a valiant effort. (note to self - get someone in to sort the garden out), the solar lights outside sucked greedily at the sunlight to make a show when darkness came.

The dear old chappie ate a magnificent amount of dinner.

Found a book I thought I'd lost.

Eh, it's a grand life, innit?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i sorted one of my bookcases out yesterday and got read of about 40 books in recycle bin and found all sorts of forgotten treasures that i forgot i had. another big one to go then sort new ones into a place. had music on and singing along which made me smile.