telephones for the hard of hearing

anng

Mar 29, 2005
birmingham
My mother can hear her telephone ring but cannot hear us talking, we have tried strap on amplifiers and telephones with buttons to press to increase the volume but because of the dementia forgets she has to press the button or turn the amplifier on. Does anyone know of a telephone or device that once set to the correct volume for her to hear would stay that way all the time. Many thanks

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I don't know full details, but Nina's Mum recently had some health people around to her home to ensure she is getting everything she needs [no dementia here! at 84 she is brighter than I am].

Anyway, during the visit they talked about her having problems hearing what people say on the phone and they provided her with a phone for free that has a variable volume control. I don't know if it is the button type [as you describe] but it works a treat.

I'll try and find out more when I next speak to her.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Anng,

The RNID (Royal National Institute for Deaf People) has an excellent web site outlining its services for people with varying degrees of hearing impairment. There is a section which outlines their Equipment Assessment Service which might be helpful:

http://www.rnid.org.uk/howwehelp/our_services/help_with_equipment/what_do_you_need/assessment/

Getting the advice of an NHS occupational therapist (via a social worker or GP) might also be a good place to start.

Take care,

Sandy