Telephone

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Have a look at the basic 1571 service from your provider, they usually cut in after 7 rings.
It's free with several providers but charged for with BT.

GarageDragon

Jan 20, 2015
Were you looking for the answer machine facility for your mother, or is it more for your use? I'm just asking because we got my mother what we thought was the simplest, big button, telephone answer machine we could find - and unfortunately she was not able to use the answer machine part. Also, because there was an answer machine, I think that people calling her thought that their message got through, when the odds were against, particularly after my mother had tried. The answer machine is now disabled, and it has become a fairly expensive basic 'phone.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Did you look at 1571, it also works when the phone is engaged.
If a message has been left the dial tone changes so you know to dial 1571 to retrieve the message(s).

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We use 1571 and its brilliant. Theres no flashing lights or anything to alert anyone who might try and fiddle (;)) - just the change in dialing tone that I can check up on.
And, yes - as nitram says - its free.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Both our phone, and my late Mum's phone, have an inbuilt answerphone which could have the number of rings increased. They were both BT Phones.

I also remember our old answer machine had variable rings too......perhaps you could look at the info supplied with her currrent machine.