1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. sonia owen

sonia owen Registered User

Hi All
    Looking for a simple telephone answer machine, must have more than 4 rings before answer machine comes in. Giving time for mum to get to the phone.
    Any advice would be a help.
    Love Sonia xx

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Have a look at the basic 1571 service from your provider, they usually cut in after 7 rings.
    It's free with several providers but charged for with BT.

3. GarageDragon

GarageDragon Registered User

Jan 20, 2015
    Were you looking for the answer machine facility for your mother, or is it more for your use? I'm just asking because we got my mother what we thought was the simplest, big button, telephone answer machine we could find - and unfortunately she was not able to use the answer machine part. Also, because there was an answer machine, I think that people calling her thought that their message got through, when the odds were against, particularly after my mother had tried. The answer machine is now disabled, and it has become a fairly expensive basic 'phone.

4. sonia owen

sonia owen Registered User

The telephone would be more for our use rather than mum's when it comes to the answer machine part of the phone. Need more rings for her to get to it, before the answering comes in to being
    Sonia

5. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Did you look at 1571, it also works when the phone is engaged.
    If a message has been left the dial tone changes so you know to dial 1571 to retrieve the message(s).

6. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    We use 1571 and its brilliant. Theres no flashing lights or anything to alert anyone who might try and fiddle (;)) - just the change in dialing tone that I can check up on.
    And, yes - as nitram says - its free.

7. cragmaid

cragmaid Registered User

Oct 18, 2010
    North East England
    Both our phone, and my late Mum's phone, have an inbuilt answerphone which could have the number of rings increased. They were both BT Phones.

I also remember our old answer machine had variable rings too......perhaps you could look at the info supplied with her currrent machine.