Telephone issues

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Brucie - I have been registered with the telephone prference service for ome time but calls still seem to get through. I will try again with the link you have given in case it's a different service.
Thanks

Daftbat

May 16, 2009
Cumbria
Tps

Izzy, do you complain to TPS when you get a call? I always do. You need to get a note of the company name and address and phone number and if possible the name of the person who called. I always sound really interested to get the information out of them before advising them that I am TPS registered and will be making a formal complaint. ;)

If you then go onto the TPS website you can complete a form to register your complaint against the company. It only takes 2 minutes. Them contacting you is in breach of (data protection?) regulations and I know they can be prosecuted if they are repeatedly caught out. I think the fine can be several thousands of pounds! :eek:

I think we all need to report the companies that break the rules to stop them continuing to do so. As long as nothing is happening to them when they pester us they'll carry on doing it.

As another suggestion in the meantime, do you have a phone where you can record an outgoing message to be played before the call is connected (bit like getting through to a big company's switchboard)? Then perhaps you could record a message explaining that you are TPS registered and unsolicited calls are not welcome, or even explaining your father's condition and telling them that he cannot agree to purchases?

Good luck

Jane

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I have always thought (and looked for but could not find) a home telephone system which offered f the following options would be excellent.

1) A recorded message that played BEFORE the phone made a noise indicating that the caller should enter their 3 digit code number (or similar). This would then allow the phone to ring - that would mean family and friends could get through but no one else.

2) An option that, if they didn't know the code number they could record a message which could then be picked up remotely.

3) An option that told them to ring an alternate number should their call be urgent (doctors etc).

These are features that are available on commercial systems so why not a home system? I would have been prepared to pay £100 or even more for all these features but the commercial systems cost considerably more than that (and have more features of course). Really what I wanted was a slightly fancy answering machine.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thannks

Izzy, do you complain to TPS when you get a call?

I think we all need to report the companies that break the rules to stop them continuing to do so. As long as nothing is happening to them when they pester us they'll carry on doing it.

Thanks Jane - I never have complained about the companies. I think you make a really good point and I intend to do so from now on!!