Telephone Conversations

kath217

Nov 5, 2013
Hello,

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this or not but have only posted once before!

My grandma's dementia has got increasingly worse lately and she really does not recognise any of us on the phone anymore.

My dad spoke to her today and she said to him 'I'm really sorry, I try so hard to know who you are but I don't know who I'm speaking to' so he suggested that we make some aids with photos so when my grandad passes the phone over, she can see a visual aid of who she is speaking to.

I've been asked to do this and was going to put some short bits of information like the name of the person and who we are in relation to her.

Has anyone done anything similar to this? if so, what information have you put/not put? And what is the best form to do it by?

Hope this makes sense and someone can help!

Thanks in advance,
Katharine x

kath217

Nov 5, 2013
Would a video phone something like this be of any use?

Thanks for the reply - It is a possibility but my Grandad bought them an ipad so could use facetime to connect to ours and it had a very negative effect on my Grandma - she is incredibly phobic of technology and it caused a lot of stress and anger unfortunately!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It's a great idea, I did something similar for my mum when she first moved in with me, I kept it simple, bought a hard back note book, on each page I stuck a photo and underneath in large print just put name and relationship. Kept the book at side of telephone. These days we skpe most of the family and mum keeps her note book in her hand bag.

kath217

Nov 5, 2013
It's a great idea, I did something similar for my mum when she first moved in with me, I kept it simple, bought a hard back note book, on each page I stuck a photo and underneath in large print just put name and relationship. Kept the book at side of telephone. These days we skpe most of the family and mum keeps her note book in her hand bag.

Ah brilliant - that's great to know that it helps! Thank you! Yes I did think it might be useful also when they come to visit us so she knows who she is coming to see on the journey!

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Thanks for the reply - It is a possibility but my Grandad bought them an ipad so could use facetime to connect to ours and it had a very negative effect on my Grandma - she is incredibly phobic of technology and it caused a lot of stress and anger unfortunately!

Ah, that's okay, I understand.

Yes, I think the notebook idea is great, and would also advise to keep it simple and the information to a minimum, to avoid confusing your mum.

Do let us know how you get on.