Telephone Calls

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
Hello, I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on whether there is a way of blocking calls apart from recognised numbers ? My Dad has been recently diagnosed with mild to moderate Alzheimer's and he lives alone . He's just been on to me in a panic because someone rang about the telephony preference service - he can't remember what he told them and I've looked up the number and it's a scam. I told him not to answer the phone at all unless it's a number I've programmed into the phone that he recognises or a local area code but I'm so worried as he's obviously started forgetting that.

Is there any system that might help ?

Many thanks in advance

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Check whether your phone has a do not disturb function. My otherwise not very sophisticated phone has this and how it works is that you can put your phone on silent for a particular day or time (in our case 24/7). Then you programme in the numbers of family and friends that you want to get through always and put them in group A, telling the phone to let no numbers ring out but group A numbers. It sounds difficult but once you've done all this, sales calls, while still arriving, will be on silent and unless you stand in front of the phone and look at it, you won't notice. Your phone will need to have the caller display function in order to differentiate the numbers, but at least with BT that one is free.

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
Thank you very much I'll look into those options - it's such a worry and I know it would help him if these calls just didn't get through

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Hello, I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on whether there is a way of blocking calls apart from recognised numbers ? My Dad has been recently diagnosed with mild to moderate Alzheimer's and he lives alone . He's just been on to me in a panic because someone rang about the telephony preference service - he can't remember what he told them and I've looked up the number and it's a scam. I told him not to answer the phone at all unless it's a number I've programmed into the phone that he recognises or a local area code but I'm so worried as he's obviously started forgetting that.

Is there any system that might help ?

Many thanks in advance
Hi is this a mobile or landline your dad has?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
It's a landline he doesn't have a mobile.
At my house with regards to our landline, I rang my phone provider and asked them to change our number it took 24 hours,I also asked for it to be ex directory,they will do this for free if you're having problems,it was a very quick phone call and we have been living in peace ever since,we didn't have many callers that we know,so just give your dads number to any vital people such as family and the doctor

Last edited:

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
A neighbour's phone (landline) was put on a 'trusted numbers only' system, after she was persistently (and unfortunately very successfully) targeted by scamsters. I think it's Truecall, and seems to work fine.

In the meantime, if you're worried about scams, what is often suggested is to scratch off the security code from any cards he has, so he's unable to give those details to anyone.

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
Talking to Barclays about blocking payments to scammers, it transpired that they can set a debit card so that it can't be used for remote payments. My dad's card is now fine in shops and ATMs, but not for any sales over the phone. I have no idea whether other banks have similar settings, but I thought it was a great idea.

Fab47

Nov 13, 2018
Talking to Barclays about blocking payments to scammers, it transpired that they can set a debit card so that it can't be used for remote payments. My dad's card is now fine in shops and ATMs, but not for any sales over the phone. I have no idea whether other banks have similar settings, but I thought it was a great idea.

Thank I'll look at that - to be honest though he hasn't used the card as a debit card for ages and he can't figure out an ATM at all.

I ended up setting up BT call protect and call minder . It's brilliant . I set it up on constant Do Not Disturb so only numbers I say are VIP can get through . All others go to 1571 which I can access from my home phone remotely so Dad knows nothing about it and he doesn't need to do a thing. I can even go online and see every call that has been made to him. Such a relief!!

prodigal-son

Feb 1, 2019
@Fab47 Great that you've found a solution that works for you. Blocking card payments probably isn't necessary if no rogue calls can get through. Just a second line of defence if anyone gets hold of the card details.

Edith Piaf

Jul 7, 2021
I live in sheltered accommodation for the elderly and i used to care for my mother who is now in a care home. I had problems with scam phone calls. Recently I changed to Talktalk it is slightly cheaper than BT. The wayi used to work it was I just didn't answer the phone and used the BT/Talktalk answering service the idea being if it was important they would leave a message and I gave my mobile number to anyone official I needed to deal with. Finally I wound up ringing talktalk and they put on something called like stay safe on. The phone calls have completely stopped so big thumbs up to talktalk. The trouble with only allowing family members' numbers is that eg the social worker won't be able to get through