teeth

connieonny

Feb 9, 2010
uk
My wife and I are increasingly down. Mum in law now in care for quite some months, almost a year actually. The care ( dementia nursing) is good, so far as we can see, but personal care sometimes seems lacking. In particular the non-brushing of teeth. Mil'S moods can be challenging, but she isn't like this 24hrs a day. Despite speaking to the manager several times, despite promises that teeth will be attended to more often than not, we suspect they are still not being cleaned. Yes, she has severe dementia, yes her moods are changeable, but every time we visit she will do her teeth quite willingly for us.
So far haven't formally complained, but feel that we should at this point. Not a day goes by when we feel she would still get better care, personal care, with us - it is whether we could manage the mental health care again - the reason she was placed into care.
What do you good people think on this? I know the carers have a hard job, do it well, but surely the care shoudl include dental care? Not talking about missing an odd time here and there - the teeth are not being attended to.

memaggie2

Nov 9, 2014
scotland
I know they should clean her teeth but i'm aware this is something that gets neglected particularly with ones own teeth . Yes complain and then complain again but i'd also make a prominent notice to say PLEASE HELP ME CLEAN MY TEETH and put it where it can't be missed near her toothbrush . If/when your mum needs someone to do it for her a smaller toothbrush (or an electric one if she will tolerate it ) helps.
good luck