teeth

sallyann

Mar 8, 2007
Has anyone any advice on keeping an AD sufferers teeth clean. Mum is quite advanced to the point that she can't do anything for herself. My father (82) is the full time carer and manages brilliantly, but has got to the stage where there is no cooperation from mum at all. Up until recently he managed to brush her teeth for her (more or less). Now she has no understanding of opening her mouth and it is impossible to get a brush in there. Her teeth are deteriorating and look terrible. I am worried she will be in pain from them and not be able to communicate it. How are teeth treated in advanced ad sufferers, anyone know??

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sallyann

I clean my husband's teeth. I use an electric toothbrush, it's easier because the head's smaller. I put a blob of toothpaste on and put it in his mouth before I switch it on. I have to mime opening the mouth to get to the inside of the teeth.

I can't floss -- at least I don't, so John sees the dental hygienist for a scale every six months when he goes for his check-up.

You can only do your best, and I think I'm lucky that John is co-operative. Many wouldn't be.

LuluB

Jul 11, 2007
Leicestershire
Hi Sallyann,

It's a bit of a problem isn't it? I need to make an appointment for my mother to attend her 6 monthly check up. Unfortunately, she broke her hip 4 weeks ago and is still hobbling, and the surgery is up a flight of steps. I am loathe to change dentists and its not that easy to find one anyway on the NHS these days. The dentist is a close family friend and he manages mothers situation very well.
Mother was always a stickler for looking after her teeth and I don't think she would want to change dentists to be honest.

Let us know how you get on.

LuluB
:)

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
Hi SallyAnn,

I don't want to sound patronising here, but have you tried the technique of treating her like a child, and going in to brush your teeth with her, and she may copy? It was the method I used to teach my own children, and I used it with Gran the other week, she was giggling trying to get hers done before me!!

The only other thing is Gran has a palette that she can remove and clean, and getting her to remember that it comes out is a nightmare sometimes. She didn't even notice recently when one of the teeth had come off it, and we had to take her to the dentist to get it repaired.

The only other solution would be mouthwash, but again mum needs to open up for that, and getting her to spit it out might be a bit of a mare....

Goodness, I'll be interested to see what ideas people come up with for this one, we might need them ourselves one day.....

Sorry, that wasn't very constructive.

Gill W
xx

Kayla

May 14, 2006
Kent
I was talking to a dental hygenist on Sunday who had set up in an independent private practice, not connected to a dentist. When I suggested that she could try going into Care and Nursing Homes where her services would be much appreciated, she said that she hadn't thought of it before.
Some of the equipment isn't very portable, but most Homes provide hairdressing rooms, so why not Dental Hygenist Equipment too? She is going to approach one of the largest Homes in the area to see if they are interested.
I'm sure my Mum would have appreciated dental attention, even if it had been at a very basic level, as she always looked after her teeth very well.
Kayla

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
The nursing home where mum is has a dentist that comes in regularly, and an optician.

Having said that mum had her teeth checked last time, she needs a new denture, but declined, and she needed her own teeth cleaned, she declined:eek:

Optician fixed her up with new glasses, lost them within a couple of weeks:eek:

Oh well, you can but try:)

Love

Cate

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Teeth cleaning

I know this goes againt the grain re health, but you know Salt is a great cleaner, and lots of old people like the taste of salt. Maybe bad for the blood pressure so you have to think about that, but a bit of salt sprinkled on the brush and scrubbed in can work wonders.

I leave it to you all to consider, no recommendations!

Regards

Margaret

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
I have been wondering what I will do for Susan's teeth. I was going to post a thread but you beat me. :) If your mum will not open her mouth or dis-likes the taste of toothpaste, I don't see what you can do apart for say feed apples which we are told "clean teeth". perhaps a dentist could advise on any other foods !. With Susan I have started cleaning teeth more often 3 or 4 times a day instead of 2. Because she was not doing a proper job. 20 seconds job done - I don't think so. Also, if left until just before bed-time, Susan would be tired, & agressive so while she still opens her mouth - I sometimes have to put the brush in and wrap her fingers around brush and actually start the movement, then she has a go. I like her to keep doing as much as she can. So I don't leave it until bedtime. Usually the last one is just after the bath, but I go by the moment. Would a dentist like to coment on the salt issue. I cannot see an issue re "heart" but taste may be dis-liked. I have thought of electric brush but when I had one 35 years ago I was not impressed. Also I find this is good, I do my teeth at the same time and this allows Susan to see and copy me. In the morning we are at it - teeth cleaning - for nearly 3 minutes sometimes.
I do know her breathe is foul :eek: if I don't get them cleaned.
cris

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
cris said:
. I have thought of electric brush but when I had one 35 years ago I was not impressed.

I think you'll find they're much better these days. I've recently bought a new one (new version, heavily advertised on TV), and it's so much better than the old one (which wasn't that old), much quieter and gentler.

Of course, it's a matter of choice, and not everyone would tolerate them.

sallyann

Mar 8, 2007
Thanks for everyone's ideas. We are going to talk to our dentist and see if he thinks he could do anything. I think she might have to be sedated in the end for a proper check. Mum is going into respite care next week and we will see if they have any ideas.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger