Teeth grinding

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
For 2 years Dad would grind his teeth continually, our only relief from a sound that is surprisingly like a form of torture after a while was chewing and bubble gum.

Has anyone else experienced this? Since going into a home, Dad has stopped grinding his teeth, but i do notice he does occasionally, usually when Mum comes to visit, still now so I'm wondering if it was a sign of stress, or did he do it just to drive Mum nuts??!! I looked up teeth grinding on the net and all I could find was links to stress.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
At the home Jan did go through a phase of grinding her teeth and I had the doctors check her mouth in case there was a dental problem. There wasn't, and she stopped soon after.

It may be worth checking his teeth aren't aching, or his gums are not bad.

I sometimes think that, in their increasingly closed in world, they almost find these things to do because they can do so little else. It may be a form of whistling, or humming to them. They can't know that it drives us crazy.... it is something they can have control over.

jc141265

Sep 16, 2005
Australia
Toothache

Yeah, we got all those checks done, couldn't find anything and as I said he doesn't do it anymore, for the majority of the time.

Thanks Brucie

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
My mother didn't grind her teeth but she cleared her throat every minute or so for about 10 months. It was incredibly irritating. I had her looked at several times, throat swabs done etc. Nothing wrong - it just seemed to occur when she wanted to get out of a situation, was bored or anxious. At that point, that was all the time.

It has since stopped so it seems to have been a phase. Hope your dad gets out of it soon.