Teeth / Dental Care and accessing a Dentist

Nat W

Jul 10, 2015
Hi,

My Gran has advanced vascular dementia combined with severe mobility issues. She was housebound even before the dementia started. I'm really struggling to brush her teeth. She won't open her mouth for the toothbrush and, even when she does, she doesn't understand how to rinse or to not swallow the paste or mouthwash. I'm reduced to just brushing round with a toothbrush dipped in a bit of mouthwash and I don't think this is sufficient. I'm noticing some decay around her front teeth. There is no way I can physically get her to a dentist and she wouldn't cooperate even if I could. I've been advised there might be home visits available via the local authority (I'm in Greater Manchester) but to access these you need to be referred by a dentist so I feel like I'm stuck in a loop. I can't find an NHS or private dentist that will do a home visit.

Any tips/advice or insights gratefully received.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You don't say which part of Greater Manchester, I am in Greater Manchester and come under Pennine Care Foundation Trust.

...We also offer home visits and services are fully accessible for disabled users...

...Patients are referred to the Community Dental Service by letter from their own dentist, or by another healthcare professional such as a GP, health visitor or school nurse....

https://www.penninecare.nhs.uk/your-services/dental-services/

I would have thought that other Foundation Trusts had similar arrangements, see if the GP can arrange a referral.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think we self-referred. We had a home visit from them recently and the female dentist had him wrapped round her little finger. He laughed and smiled and opened his mouth wide. Brilliant service.

MerryWive

Mar 20, 2015
We are in London, had some kind of community dentist service come round a couple of times, the woman was brilliant actually as we also have a very hard time trying to clean mum-in-laws teeth. I think it was a referral via the GP or possibly via district nurses, definitely not via a dentist as she hasn't seen one of those in years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger