Technology

Paddy74

Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone. I finally signed up!
My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimers last December but we both knew before then that something was wrong. He is now unable to operate anything technological which is sadly very ironic considering his life long occupation. We have Alexa so he can now operate the radio and play music using voice control but I've heard that this can also control the TV. He gets very confused with the TV remotes . Has anyone tried it or know how it works?

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Bought a flipper remote for mum which she is using happily. You can program favourite channels on it. It has an on/off button, a mute button and channel up/down and volume up/down

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
That sounds good @try again, more simple than our remotes. I’ll look into it to see if it would be good for us.
@Paddy74 I know how you feel. My husband has always been our computer expert. Me, if it doesn’t work I switch it off and hope it works when I switch it back on again!
My husband went into hospital last February for stents in his kidneys, he drove me mad phoning and texting up until he had his surgery. Post surgery he couldn’t use his phone, iPad or Apple computer. Remotes were very difficult. He just looks at them.
He struggles with any technology or anything like form filling, he just can’t do. He struggles to sign his name.
I hadn’t thought about Alexa, perhaps it would be good for my husband. Something else to look into.
Welcome to TP by the way. I have found it invaluable, loads of support and just plain comfort when life just gets too tough.
Take care, B xx

Paddy74

Nov 8, 2018
Bought a flipper remote for mum which she is using happily. You can program favourite channels on it. It has an on/off button, a mute button and channel up/down and volume up/down
That sounds very good. I'll look into it. Thanks

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimers last December but we both knew before then that something was wrong. He is now unable to operate anything technological which is sadly very ironic considering his life long occupation. We have Alexa so he can now operate the radio and play music using voice control but I've heard that this can also control the TV. He gets very confused with the TV remotes . Has anyone tried it or know how it works?[/QUOTE
hello Paddy74. We also have an Alexa so
My husband was diagnosed with vascular dementia and Alzheimers last December but we both knew before then that something was wrong. He is now unable to operate anything technological which is sadly very ironic considering his life long occupation. We have Alexa so he can now operate the radio and play music using voice control but I've heard that this can also control the TV. He gets very confused with the TV remotes . Has anyone tried it or know how it works?
Hello P

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
Hello Paddy74. Sorry haven’t posted anything for a while hence the above errors! Think I have got it right now. That’s a very interesting question and will be very interested in the replies. We also have an Alexa which would be really handy if it can be used for the tv. I did look on line but unfortunately it is too technical for me. I would also be interested to know if it can work with the phone as my oh is having problems with the landline and his mobile. I am still able to leave him for a short time at home but I need to be sure that he could contact me in an emergency. Life would certainly be a bit easier if they could work something with a command.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Welcome, you will get friendly support, my husband was very computer savvy, not now.
Remotes are a pain, ours are complicated because the BBC no longer supports iplayer on our 7yr old Sony. So we use a Humax box for all channels.
We had the local TV shop come out and set it up.

I do find Alexa and other listening in devices eerie, I was travelling in a car the other day, the volunteer had a Sat Nav. As we cheerfully put the world to right, a female voice kept saying, ' I am listening'! Big Sister?