Technology assisting people with dementia and their carers

TechGuyTim

Jul 12, 2015
Hi,

Firstly I will introduce myself, my name is Tim and I am about to start my third year in university Studying computing. I lost my Grandfather last year, he had dementia, and the loss and seeing him go down hill was incredibly hard for me; he was such an amazing person.

I am starting to think about the research project I am going to do from September as part of my final year dissertation and I can think of no greater way to pay tribute to him than to research into ways that technology and computing can be used to help either those who have dementia or their carers.

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on anything they feel is currently missing or could be improved that would help them or their loved ones? My area of interest is more in software & the web but I also have some experience in creating technology based around sensors & mobile phones.

Thanks for reading

Tim

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Tim. welcome to TP
That's a very big subject, just to break it down a bit there are many; with AZ on here who retain all their computer skills and are an inspiration to us all, those who can still join in and post regularly and those who either have never had computer skills and only figure on here by proxy as in their carer is the member. There are then the carers who must have some computer skills to be here.
Speaking as a carer I need access to information about; what's available, where I can get help, how to deal with various situations and emotions and to be honest it's difficult to beat AZ Talking Point. I can have hundreds of people advise me (and remember that replies do happen in private messenger so what you see in public is only half the story) so I'd be interested to see what others can suggest.
I wish you well and hope you can come up with something new and creative.
K

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi Tim,

Anyway that you can be of help to either patients with AD or their carers would be very welcome. Rest assured you have chosen a huge field so you should be able to find a suitable topic for your dissertation.

Some time ago I saw a program on TV (Australia) about a young man who was developing an app that would help carers understand the experiences of AD sufferers, how the changes in the brain effect their perceptions and is helpful for carers then to adjust the way they cope with the confusion and conflict that occurs as a result.

I am sorry I cannot recall the name of the young man but perhaps if you give it some time on Google you may find him. I believe he is Australian.

Good luck with your studies.

mancmum

Feb 6, 2012
electronic memory board

Hello Tim, We have a memory board which I have worked hard at refining but which I think is now just about perfect it has: Day, date clock perched above it. A space for urgent messages. Picture of carer. The week ahead. Extra notes and most important 'Been and Gone' which contain short one line sentences like..Birthday present for x bought; Tax returns done; This stops him worrying about things that are no longer relevent and gives him some sense of memory. I'd love it to be electronic, but I pad is not big enough and of course it hibernates itself.

I would also like an app to skype one person. Skype itself is too complicated for father to operate independently.

Explaining to reasonably competent people how to take control of another's computer so that they are able to use it.

Good luck

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hello Tim, We have a memory board which I have worked hard at refining but which I think is now just about perfect it has: Day, date clock perched above it. A space for urgent messages. Picture of carer. The week ahead. Extra notes and most important 'Been and Gone' which contain short one line sentences like..Birthday present for x bought; Tax returns done; This stops him worrying about things that are no longer relevent and gives him some sense of memory. I'd love it to be electronic, but I pad is not big enough and of course it hibernates itself.

I would also like an app to skype one person. Skype itself is too complicated for father to operate independently.

Explaining to reasonably competent people how to take control of another's computer so that they are able to use it.

Good luck

That sounds really good, its where I am slowly getting amidst all my symptoms it is what helps. Since my symptoms began 6 years ago it is only since January that I have been able to keep any sort of diary, even now it is hit and miss sometimes but it does help stop the worrying, is a reference point for what has been done and what still needs to be done, on the days I can work out which day it is;):rolleyes:

The Skype app sounds good too:)

EdenDesjardins

May 25, 2015
Hi Tim,

Automatic pill dispensers controlled by an app are surprisingly usefu. However, I believe there are a few out there already.

I would recommend something that helps with reminders and is portable.

hmmm

Sep 5, 2015
Maybe a bit ambitious

Hi,
My mum, probably like lots of sufferers watches a lot of TV.
It would be great if there was an app that could link to her TV, so that at specific times eg after the 6pm news. You could program a message either visual or with audio to come on screen for a few seconds as a reminder eg. "Hi XXXXXX have you had your supper", or " is the front door locked". If you could program the audio message to be the persons own voice- effectively reminding themselves ( but programmed with the help of family) I think it could be of enormous benefit. Good luck

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi,
My mum, probably like lots of sufferers watches a lot of TV.
It would be great if there was an app that could link to her TV, so that at specific times eg after the 6pm news. You could program a message either visual or with audio to come on screen for a few seconds as a reminder eg. "Hi XXXXXX have you had your supper", or " is the front door locked". If you could program the audio message to be the persons own voice- effectively reminding themselves ( but programmed with the help of family) I think it could be of enormous benefit. Good luck

A brilliant idea:)

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Hi Tim,

Automatic pill dispensers controlled by an app are surprisingly usefu. However, I believe there are a few out there already.

I would recommend something that helps with reminders and is portable.

On another thread there is a discussion regarding someone who needs to take 'as required' pain medicines. There does not seem to be a dispenser device that will stay locked until (for instance) 4 hours after the previous dose was extracted.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
The tv one is a good one. A tv channel with music only for older people would be great. A plot to follow is too much for most. I was in mums care when the Edinburgh tatoo was on. Its the first time i ever saw so many residents actually watching the tv and really enjoy it. They all looked so happy i was in tears. Some research on types of stimulating tv?

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Tim I think it would be difficult to give any advice on the type of software a person with dementia might find helpful and it really depends on how much computer knowledge they have, I started using a computer at work in 1986 , and was diagnosed with dementia in 1999 I continued working for a further eight years until my retirement aged 65 and was using all the usual spread sheets , word data bases and AutoCAD LT6 at work , now seven year later into my retirement every day I send time using the all software drawing building plans for family and friends for planning applications , mainly to keep my hand in and my Brain working ok sometime its now takes me hour s to figure out how do use AutoCad where it only took minuets a few years ago but I get there and I have plenty of time I also realize if I leave it to long it will be gone forever , finally I meet other people with dementia every month all older than me and they all use the computer not sure how competent they are but they also have modern Iphone’s and Ipads , as said here many time were all different (if only we could get the bureaucrats to understand that )