Teachers with Altzheimers

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Both of my parents are 86 years old and both are suffering from Altzheimers. My father was a teacher for 36 years. Many of my peers have parents who were also teachers and who also suffer from Altzheimers, to the point where the coincidence is getting rather hard to ignore! Does anyone else have parents or who were teachers that are now suffering from this disease. I would be extremely interested to know. Surely there has to be a link there somehow. Many thanks for your attention.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Jude
My husband was diagnosed just over 2 years ago - he was a headteacher. Don't know if this helps you!
Izzy

Charlie

Apr 1, 2003
Hi Jude,

my dad lectured at a college for about 12 years. He was such an articulate and organised gentleman and then fell with alzheimers about 2 years after retiring from lecturing. I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way, but the change is just incredible and so blooming unfair :-(

Luckily, we get a lot of 'special moments' and my young daughter helps him keep on top of things :)

Kind Regards
Charlie

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Izzy and Charlie,

Many thanks for posting so quickly. I already know of about 20 ex-teachers who have Altz and that's just within my immediate group of friends. Do you have any ideas about this?

Neither of my parents smoke, nor do they drink very much, besides the odd sherry on Sundays. They are incredibly physically fit for their age, look about 10 years younger and walk at least 4 times a day - have done so for years.

It would be interesting to find out if there is any research that targets specific employments as being more susceptible to Altzheimers than others.

It's got me baffled.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Jude
I found it interesting that you say that your parents are very fit and look about 10 years younger than they are. My husband is 73 but looks about 60ish (if not younger) - he is 21 years younger than me! He is very fit and can walk for miles, bike, hill walk etc. Luckily although he was diagnosed 2 years ago he is still fine other than having really bad short term memory and the kind of depression that can go along with the illness. Anti depressants have help with that so he's doing really well.
I don't know of any research into occupations & Alzheimer's but as I am a teacher myself I would find it interesting to find out!
Cheers
Izzy

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Izzy, Crumbs! Hope I haven't alarmed you. I do also know lots of teachers who DON'T have Altzheimers. My mother has short term memory loss and depression. My father's short term memory is reasonably good and he rarely gets depressed. He does, however, suffer from halucinations and is constantly losing things - then spends hours looking for them until he eventually forgets just what it is that he's actually lost. He's also obsessed with finances and international news events. I've never watched so many TV news broadcasts in my whole life... I also spend hours going through his bank statements with him, which can get tedious in the extreme. Dad also confuses names and genders, which my mother doesn't do. Actually between them, the dynamics of their different types of the disease helps them to 'muddle' along quite well on a daily basis. One recalls what the other cannot, but when they both have a bad day, things can get quite odd around here...! My father taught Maths and Science and often refers to things in maths terms. For example, he will say that he has eaten '15/16ths of his lunch and Mum has consumed a lesser fraction of hers'. I find this very amusing, so we do have some fun, as his sense of humour is very active.

Your husband sounds very fit and physically well too. My father is taking Aricept every morning and since he started on this course of medication, his memory has improved tremendously. Is your husband taking this? Mother can't take it unfortunately - it make her very sick.

Do you have a carer to give you a break?

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Izzy,

Just went back into your message and realised that you are 94 years old...!! Heavens, how do you manage? Here am I, whingeing on about coping with the oldies, when I've just turned 50 this week. I admire your spirit.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good God Jude - you must think I'm off my head!!!!! He is 21 years older than me!!! I had obviousy had a bad day that day. I'm beginning to wonder who has the problems - him or me!!!

Izzy

Last edited: